Pink Slips AREN'T Pink!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2012

What a way to start my weekend!

Seven years of hard work and dedication= Pink slip???

Yes...my principal said that it has nothing to do with my performance (which I already knew) and that it was solely based on my seniority date. I spoke with my Asst. Superintendent today and she said the district will do everything in their power to bring me back and that "we just can't lose you!"

Despite the fact that people have tried to cheer me up and let me know how valuable I am, it doesn't change the fact that I received a letter stating: "Your services will not be needed during the 2012-2013 school year" (I stopped reading the rest of the letter after I read that line).

I just hope they don't wait to hire me back until right before school starts (that is--if they DO bring me back).

UGH!!!!!!!!! :mad:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2012

I am upset for you. :( I know through your post that you are a great educator. Absolute best wishes!

So sorry.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2012

So sorry to hear this. I saw this happen in the district where I was in California. There are too many teachers being pink slipped, and no one feels secure. I really hope things turn around, which they very well could.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 9, 2012

What a punch in the stomach. :( What exactly does it mean to get a pink slip? If you are rehired, does your seniority get reset? What happens to your salary level?

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2012

It is a "RIF" notice (Reduction in Force). It's not the same thing as getting fired or anything (it has nothing to do with your performance).

If (and hopefully when) I get rehired, my seniority stays the same and my pay does, too (it's as if I never left).

7. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Mar 9, 2012

This same thing happened to me last year after 5 years of teaching. I was also told that they would try to bring me back. I got a job in a neighboring county at the end of August. The next day they called me and offered me a job a block from my home. I had already signed the contract, so I decided to stay with the job 30 miles from my home. I am still second-guessing that decision. I like my job, but there's no place like home. I am still very close with the people I used to work with. I still consider going back. My advice to you is to try your best to relax. There's nothing you can do about it. And remember, there are a lot of other things that you can do with a teaching degree, such as social work, etc. Good luck!

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2012

Powerful words from someone that probably has some clout. Prayers for you YTG.
    Keep your head up.

9. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2012

I'm so sorry to hear this. It is definitely their loss.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2012

:( Sorry. :(

YTG, seeing as how we both taught in the same district... I gotta tell you that I've definitely been there!!! I've been pink slipped pretty much every year.

That said, they DID hire me back. Both times was after the school year began. So, be prepared to have that happen to you to. :(

Have you looked at the nearby district that starts with an A? I worked there too.

11. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2012

I'm sorry to hear that. I know what you mean, no matter what people say it doesn't change what you've seen in black and white on the slip. I hope that since it's only March now things end up working out!

12. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 9, 2012

That really rots, YTG. Hoping for the best for you! Please keep us in the loop over time.

13. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 9, 2012

Thanks for the pink slip explanation. What is the benefit to the school of handing out pink slips?

14. traveler

traveler Comrade

Mar 9, 2012

That's CA for you! So sorry YTG. I got them 4 years in a row. There are three teachers at my school who have been getting them every year for the last 4 years. It really stinks. Wishing you hear quickly that they can bring you back!

15. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Mar 9, 2012

Sorry for the bad news! Sending prayers your way!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2012

Myrisophilist, state law dictates that all districts in California issue pink slips by mid-March to anyone who might be out of a job in the next school year. There have been years when all or nearly all the pink slips were subsequently rescinded.

17. KateL

KateL Habitué

Mar 9, 2012

Wow. I'm so sorry. We should hear next week in my district. I'm nervous!

18. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 9, 2012

Thank you. Wow, that's crazy. :huh: Teachers don't need anymore stress than they/we already have from the political tug of war going on.

19. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Mar 9, 2012

I am so sorry! We had 30 teachers pink slipped today because our levy failed. There were told they better start looking elsewhere because they won't be called back unless people choose to retire. There are only 10 people eligible for retirement, so it doesn't look good. My heart breaks for everyone involved. My stomach has hurt all day because it is so unfair. I will keep my fingers crossed for you:love:

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2012

I heard that things are just as bad over there! :confused:

I hate to leave this district because it's the only district I've ever worked for.

21. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2012

Do you have lots or just a few teachers in your district? In the larger districts if you have 7 years experience it is a pretty good bet they will call you back because the newer staff is a long list of people.

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 9, 2012

We have about 500 teachers, I believe. But we've lost nearly 100 teachers over the past couple of years due to layoffs; therefore, I'm at the bottom of the seniority list! :(

23. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 9, 2012

Sorry to hear it YTG...

It's as I've been saying all along. It makes no sense, and as cost-cutting (teacher) methods go, is the worst thing to do.

It hurts everyone, for the sake of preserving the income of the most tenured. We all have a stake in this... why we make the youngest take the brunt of the burden baffles me.

24. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2012

I'm so sorry! That is terrible!

This is the perfect opportunity to ask for letters of recommendations and update your references. If you show them that you aren't going to wait around for them to make a decision (and they really want to keep you), they will be more likely to try to find you a place quickly.

25. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 10, 2012

I'm sorry to hear it to. You definitely don't deserve that.

Not the same thing, I know, but it reminded me. A few years back they built a new school down the road from mine, our enrollment was cut in half, they had to "let go" of the 15 last hired teachers which included me. When we met with the P and she told us about it she gave us the number of the P at the new school to contact to possibly interview-it was on a pink sticky note-I did feel pink-slipped. ;)

26. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 10, 2012

Is there any "safe" place in this country for teachers? It seems like the job market is just hopeless everywhere.

27. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2012

My county is always hiring teachers. Of course, the pay is crap compared to the cost of living. And the district BS.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 10, 2012

Prayers to you, YTG. I will be praying they hire you back SOON.

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 10, 2012

I'm sorry, I'm sure this is very stressful. I agree with others, this is the time to get letters of rec, apply in other districts, and chances are, you will have options: other job offers and this school (they will most likely call you back).

A pink slip doesn't mean you will be definitely let go, right? It just means that it's a possibility, but they have to notify you, and the language of it is so harsh. This is how it was explained to me.

At my school district they announced that they will send out 2-3 times as many pink slips as the number of teachers will be let go. Doesn't make sense, they're stressing out a lot more people than they should.
    The P announced yesterday that at my school no one will be pinkslipped. (the youngest teacher is 4 years, but we had teachers of 6 and 8 years worrying. One of these teachers was a principal before!!)
    Of course this doesn't apply to me, my position will still be cut, but I am happy for all the teachers at my school.

30. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 10, 2012

It doesn't mean you will go... they just gotta cover their bases so that if they do have to let people go, they've gave the proper noticde. As you say, there is a definite possibility he'll be back. I've known people who get RIF'd every year for the past three years... and every year, I see them back where they were.

And yes... in my area, we have teachers up to 10 years who were RIF'd. It's sad because, 6, 8, 10... these are the best teachers, if you want to generalize, IMO. Lots of experience, and still have the energy and enthusiasm of youth.

31. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2012

That really stinks.

When I started teaching, it was very, very common (almost expected) that all non-tenured teachers were "pink slipped" at the end of the year. I always found it funny that our pink slips were actually blue.

I was always teaching in a situation where my job was likely not going to be available the following year. I was pink-slipped every year for four years. Each year I was rehired over the summer, and one year even a week after school began. I did not take it personally because I knew it was not about me, but about funding and seniority. It did not change my seniority, though. After year four I was given a continuing contract.

Good luck.

32. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Mar 10, 2012

You are an exception though. It's hard to pour so much effort into something, and be told you aren't needed for no logical reason, without taking it personal. That is probably the biggest reason that morale currently stinks in education.

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2012

I wasn't happy about it, but it would have done me absolutely no good to sit around being mad at them or feeling sorry for myself. That's just my personality, though.

34. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2012

I know the year a LOT of us were being pink slipped, they ended up hiring some back. Some were hired as clinicians, and then people like me who were REALLY on the low totem pole were hired for three months to do CELDT testing. (THANKFULLY I was hired after my CELDT testing job in the "A" district as a math clinician.)

On the seniority list, where do you stand? How many teachers were laid off? It sounds like you have a good standing with the admins. That's good. In my experience, if admins like you, really like you, they'll do what they can to get you back. My Principal in "A" district did that.

I totally know how you're feeling right now. :(

35. Sunflower883

Sunflower883 Rookie

Mar 10, 2012

I'm sorry!! :-(

2 years ago when we had massive layoffs many teachers were in panic mode since principals were not allowed to say who would stay and who would go until June. We all started to do the math on our own and it was very scary. I was one of the newest ones at that school and I thought for sure I was going to be on the list. From March until May I was freaking out.

It turns out that I wasn't on the list to be cut but by the time I was confirmed this (first week of June) I was already given another job offer. I would much rather know than been left hanging like that. We were all sick of worrying.

36. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2012

If there is anything positive in all this, it is that you have time to look for a new position.

In our state, due to a new law, every single teacher hired after July 1, 2011 will not know if they have a job for the following year until the end of the year EVERY single year for the rest of their career.

37. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2012

Oh my, swansong! That's tough! I would hate to live like that. But I've seen some teachers get a RIF letter in March and then do some pretty shady things in the classroom for the rest of the year.

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2012

Wow! I sure hope the administration is aware of this before the teacher is brought back for another year.

39. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2012

Actually, it's every one who didn't have tenure/was hired after July 1, 2009. We all got sneaked into Pay-for-Performance on an updated bill.

40. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2012

I'm not exactly sure how it works here, but thats how it seems to me. Everything is always up in the air until June, or later. It's terrible! We have to notify parents by January 31st if their child is in danger of being held over, yet teachers can wait until July or August to find out if they'll have a job.

41. mistermitchell3

mistermitchell3 Rookie

Mar 10, 2012

I received one a few years ago that had my name misspelled and addressed me as "Ms." I'm a "Mr."