Pink Slip Week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Teacheroo, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Mar 12, 2008

Anyone else get hit?
    I'm in one of the previously fastest-growing and largest districts in the nation. Last year I was told that I was guaranteed a job, once I got through 1 year. This year, with the looming CA budget cuts, I got slipped. I should be ok (hopefully), but I missed the cutoff by 2 days! ACK!:(

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 13, 2008

So what's the next step? I've heard that sometimes they hand pinkslips out, but then don't have to cut anyone. Does this look like it could be the case?

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 13, 2008

Sorry about your slip...I know it stinks even hen you know it's coming. It stinks about 2 days as well. I know when our seniority list came out I noticed someone was above me & the other teacher (we signed contracts on the same day & the other had to be mailed). The mailed one was over us & I told the other teacher I'm talking to the principal & you should too. She thanked me & said she wouldn't have really noticed!!! So important to know day & sometimes even the time you signed!!!

5. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 14, 2008

I'm waiting to hear what my job status will be next year. There was a meeting earlier this week that I missed. One of my collegues told me it was announced there would be staff cuts next year, but I don't know if I'm staying or going at this point. My stomache is feeling kind of queasy right about now. Not sure when I'll find out either.

6. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Mar 14, 2008

The same is happening in my district..
    A few teachers found out the other day that their jobs may be cut. I'm worried about mine. I was one of a few people hired at the beginning of this year so I'm the low man on the totem pole. I talked to my principal about it and he said they wouldn't know until April, but more than likely I would be okay, but I may have to switch grade levels if necessary (which I will do in order to keep my job.)

7. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Mar 14, 2008

They pink-slipped 400 people, plan to cut 134, if the budget cuts get passed in government. I went to a union meeting yesterday and have to go through a huge ugly process with 3 days of hearings and a massive stack of paperwork. I didn't realize it was such an ordeal! They haven't had to layoff anyone in my district in 30 years! The local news crew was at the meeting and had his camera over my table the whole time so today, everyone was giving me these ridiculous pity smiles. I just don't see how CA will be able to pass a 10% cut in education. No one will go for it.

Diznee: I already talked to my principal, we all had to verify our seniority date.

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Mar 14, 2008

I am so sorry to hear that. May you find another job real fast real soon.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2008

Hopefully it all works out for the best. Cutting the budget for education is insane. USA is already slipping behind other countries, and budget cuts only add fuel to the fire.
    I know of a school corp that hands out pink slips every year because they don't know what the budget will be like. They also worry about enrollment because there are new charter schools every year, and the current charter schools keep growing. Everyone always gets called back. Sadly, for the lowest man on the seniority list, sometimes it is a month after school starts.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2008

In your school district only??? I mean, is this number for you school district or CA wide?

What's going on in CA. I just don't get it. They pink slipped all of the probs one and twos in my school district and another school district. The others are not hiring. Just two years ago they hired a ton of teachers, and now all of a sudden they don't need them anymore? I honestly think we are in a mass hysteria mode.

11. Teacheroo

Teacheroo Companion

Mar 15, 2008

12. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Mar 15, 2008

Awww, that stinks! Hopefully you find something new with little effort! I am in a private school that is hiring, so I feel very secure . We haven't had official contract renewals yet, but it was already announced in a parent newsletter that I would be returning to teach 2nd grade next year! LOL! Good luck!

13. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Mar 15, 2008

Peachy, I agree with you. There are still going to be students that need teachers. Unless a district is in declining enrollment, I imagine most of those who received pink slips will be hired back.

14. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Mar 15, 2008

I agree, this whole 10% cut to education is crazy. I don't see how this plan will pass. Too bad we won't really know how it will all play out until right before or after the school year starts. I've heard that if it doesn't go through there could be a hiring frenzy right before the start of the school year... that would be nice. In the mean time there are a lot of people stuck in limbo.

15. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

That really stinks! It happened to me a few years ago, they built a new school practically across the street, so our school lost 1/2 their enrollment and had to "let go" of 15 teachers that were last hired. It was funny (but not really) when she called us into the office one by one to tell us, she gave us the number of the new principal to call on a pink slip of paper-very ironic.

Our district is letting go of 30 teachers this year (it was on the news) - only ancillary - art, music, PE positions - to make the individual school budgets work. The district normally hires 1200 per year to fill the vacancies - people who quit or retire, but a lot of those go to ACP and Teach For America applicants. I can't believe anyone is cutting funding for education these days - those numbers for CA are just ridiculous!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

I have a job for one more year anyway. I found out my P plans on keeping me where I am.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 17, 2008

I know your relieved, RWS.

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 17, 2008

Yes. It was kind of unexpected that they would be letting people go due to finances when we seem to have money for other extras, but what can you do? I got my contract; i just need to sign it.

19. Heathermeister

Heathermeister Rookie

Apr 6, 2008

I initially received a pink slip and was completely stressed out. About a week or so later, I was told that I would have a job the following year. I got my contract this week, so I am completely relieved!

I know that school districts are trying to find other ways to cut their budget because they don't want to get rid of teachers. Hopefully everyone else will get good news like I did.

Good luck!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2008

That's nice that your district is doing whatever they can to hold on to their teachers. In my district, teachers were the first to go. They non-renewed 9 teachers, and pink slipped 19. Isn't that ridiculous? They also slashed classified jobs too. Of course, the admins are safe up in their nice, neat little office.

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 8, 2008

I got a contract and signed it but now hear that it isn't official until the administration signs as well. I also hear they are holding all contracts (signed ones at that) until they find out the enrollment for next year. So now I get to worry for a week and a half (the prin. is out of town) before I learn if I really do have a job or if this is some crazy game of mule-and-carrot.

22. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

runsw/scissors,

Does that mean you can't go look for a job elsewhere????

I've never heard of teacher's jobs being cut before.

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 11, 2008

No idea. I'm not really looking anyway except I really want to try for a position in England. Maybe. The whole idea is kind of scary, but I know I will regret it later if I don't try.