Pink Floyd in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by h2omane, Nov 25, 2006.

1. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 25, 2006

A friend once told me that playing long ballad type songs during seat work helps kids concentrate, and keep the noise level down.

What do you think?

And,

What do you play in your classroom?

Mr. Skinner :D

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Nov 25, 2006

I have 2 Mozart Effect Music for Children CDs that I constantly play. I play it when my students are writing, during written assignments, while they are working on their math, when they arrive in the morning, when we are settling down after recess... I find they talk less when I play them. At times I even tell them that I will put the music on so that they could concentrate better and talk less.

I bought an instrumental Christmas CD last weekend but the music was too upbeat and my students were dancing around in their seats, bopping their heads and just listening to the music rather than working. I might just play this as we are waiting for buses.

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 25, 2006

We're using mainly nature sounds right now--I have four 'built in' to my alarm clock, so we rotate through. My kids are city kids who complained initially about how annoying the brook or the wind was, but now love to walk into the room and guess what the day's sound is. My kids seem calmer when we play it.

We do play a little jazz sometimes, not too much classical yet.

5. Tbelle1035

Tbelle1035 Cohort

Nov 25, 2006

I use a lot of nature cd's too. No complaints, they all love it. Also Enya, Celtic music and sometimes lively music like Bill Schontz (The Day I Read a Book). Sometimes Beatles or whatever the kids bring in to me.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 25, 2006

I use music all the time in my room. The type ranges on what we are doing from Disney Jams cds to classical to Louis Armstrong to Native American flute. I love music and try to expose them to all different kinds.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Nov 26, 2006

To play as the kids are working I use classical music, like the Mozart Effect or any other classical music. I like the classical cds for babies, they have songs that are good for waking up, play time, resting, which are good for certain parts of the day.

8. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

thats cool,

but what about (sniff sniff) Pink Floyd?
    (sniff sniff)
    and Led Zeppelin?
    (tear begins to form)
    does no one listen to Shine on you crazy Diamond?

:D

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 26, 2006

I'm not sure I would be brave enough to play Pink Floyd, especially "Brick in the Wall". That's all they need, another excuse not to study. Some of the other songs might be OK. I have always thought "Comfortably Numb" sounded a lot like someone shooting up, but my brother is always trying to convince me otherwise. I really can't coment about Zeplin. I guess you would have to consider the age group, maturity level, how parents would react if they found out, etc.

10. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 26, 2006

i don't listen to pink floyd outside of school, so i'm less inclined to listen to it in school, i suppose.

we try to use music without vocals/lyrics during work time so it doesn't distract the kids.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 26, 2006

The research supports music without lyrics. 60 beats per mminute is recommended. The 60 beats per minute are important because that is the rate your heart beats when relaxed. The music helps to remind you to breathe and stay relaxed. When you are studying with music in the background and you hear the music, that is a reminder to breathe deeply. While you are in the relaxed system you don't hear the music really. The music helps to create a peaceful relaxed environment, prime for learning and using long term memory.

12. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

Thank you for sharing this.

And +1 for Native American, in my classroom. :)

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2006

I love Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. If you are allowed, then play both...it doesn't get much better.

14. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

One member in my teachers college curriculum and instruction course said that her grade 6 teacher brought in his Pink Floyd Albums, and Original autographed Zeppelin III album.

She said, Once he put them on the kids were really hungry for more music like that, and that every morning he would put on a song right after morning announcments during bellwork. Nobody was late to his class, as they would miss out on hearing the song.

This is why I put up the thread. I was unaware of the 60 beats per minute rule. thats awesome information.

How do you know if the music has 60 Beats per sminute?

I would only be playing longer songs, like shine on you crazy diamond, sheep, etc.

Just wondering if there is more long ballad type songs out there that any class could enjoy. My family is not a classical music family, so I'm naive in what ranges of music are out there.

Thanks,

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 26, 2006

Listen to some Brian Eno.

16. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Nov 26, 2006

I recently ordered off of one of the freebie sites on this forum, jazz in the classroom. It has a dvd, cd, and lesson plans (how to tie jazz into studies on American History and literature i guess- I haven't tried them out yet).

There was also a website I found that ties lessons to music.. Speak, spoken, voice.. something.. I will look if anyone is interested..
    http://www.voicesacrosstime.org/come-all-ye/ti/2006/Lesson Plans/09CrockerWalstenBullets.html

that said, if I was going to play music during work times, and I wanted some Celtic, flute, American Indian SOUNDS (I do not want words) what are some NAMES of albums I should buy? Thanks

17. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 26, 2006

My same point exactly. What are some really good albums that have 60 beats per minute that I can purchase for my classroom?

Thanks,

18. rhassinger

rhassinger Rookie

Nov 26, 2006

I can't off the bat recognize 60bpm, but the following are fairly slow.

Alan Parsons Project - Time, and Eye in the Sky
    Depeche Mode - Clean, Sweetest Perfection and Waiting for the Night, all three from the Violator album
    Pink Floyd - Us and Them

For the last one, I understand that it was composed to be the music for a scene in a movie (documentary?) where vietnam war protesters were being beaten savagely by police in slow motion. Might want to do some research on that and then explain it to the students before playing it, that context makes it more interesting.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2006

20. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 26, 2006

Oh, almost forgot. I have a working record player in my room and a huge set of Montovanni's records as well as a few other good ones that I play. The kids love the novelty of hearing a record.

21. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Nov 27, 2006

When I was in college, my phil. of ed. professor did a study on music and education in our class. About once a month we brought in songs, turned off the lights and discussed why they were important to us as teachers. There was a lot of Floyd played then.

I went to see the Pink Floyd Experience last week, and love it...

But, in my Kindergarten room I use one of those white noise / nature sounds machines that you use to sleep. My kids LOVE it.

Kelly

22. MissWilliams

MissWilliams Rookie

Nov 27, 2006

ChristyF, I use Enya for journal time!

The dream machine idea I've not thought of--I may try that after seeing it here a few times. My kiddos like surf/ocean sounds.:)

23. holliday

holliday Comrade

Nov 28, 2006

When I was in high school, my teacher would ask us kids to bring in songs that contained an interesting lyric we could use as a quote to prompt that day's journal writing. We would write for the length of the song plus whatever extra time was needed to get us to 10 minutes. The quote would be written up on the board. If kids wanted to respond to the quote, they could, or they could write about whatever was on their mind.
    We loved it because it gave us an excuse to listen to music and made journaling more fun.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 28, 2006

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 29, 2006

Thanks czacza! I have about four classical CDs and an instrumental CD of hymns. I like them, but I get sick of them after a while. I'm going to look into these titles for a bit of variety.

"My same point exactly. What are some really good albums that have 60 beats per minute that I can purchase for my classroom?"

I have some Manheim Steamroller I play around Christmas. I love the O'Neil Brothers (piano instrumental) and Enya. When we are doing group work, art, etc. I have a couple of CDs with vocals. One is the Curious George soundtrack. I wish I had the soundtracks to the two Fantasia movies.

26. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Nov 29, 2006

I love the samples on there! I am going to order the creative writing cd. THANKS!!!

27. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Dec 2, 2006

Thanks all, for your posts.

28. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 2, 2006

Download "Pandora" on your computer, and type in the name of one song or artist or band you especially love, one that matches all your criteria. Pandora will play it, and then continuously play tons of other songs that fall into that same category. You can create several different "stations" for yourself and for your students.

29. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Dec 2, 2006

I think a great Zeppelin song to play is "White Summer/Black Mountain." It is long, instrumental and one of my favorites.

30. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Dec 2, 2006

Oh my gosh.
    I am now completely obsessed with this site.
    AMAZING.

Thank you for distracting me from the five thousand assignments due this week.
    Finding new music similar to music I already love is far more fulfilling.

:D

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 2, 2006

THANK YOU JANE! This is fabulous!