Pink Eye

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Ms. I, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 13, 2007

All of a sudden, there seems to be a lot of students at my school with pink eye. I know kids don't usually wash their hands often & they touch so many things such as balls at recess, etc., but is there something that specifically causes it?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

4. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Feb 14, 2007

Pink eye can be caused by a variety of bacteria, viruses and irritants...

5. E Bunni 99

E Bunni 99 Rookie

Feb 14, 2007

I keep a huge bottle of hand sanitzer on my desk. I encourage the kids to use it often to help prevent illnesses. I teach in a trailer... and sometimes things can spread quickly. I hope this info helps you! :) Keep healthy.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

I never had pink eye until I was in college...it was weird...thought it was something that irritated it!!! When I taught I had 6-8 students get it in the spring one even got it 2 times. The thing that made me mad was I saw this little girls eye looking rather red sent her down to office to get it checked out...nope just allergies is what they told her. When mom came to get her I told her my concerns, she said I thought it might be, but I figured if it was they'd call me from school. She took the girl to doc sure enough!!!

7. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Feb 14, 2007

One of my students went home with pink eye on Monday morning at 9:20am. We start school at 9am. Why send her to school??? Another 2nd grader in another class also went home that morning with the same thing. It seems to be going around all of the sudden at my school.

8. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Feb 14, 2007

I say Lysol the heck out of everything in your classroom. That's what I do to all the classrooms in my center on the nights I close. I go through atleast 2 cans of Lysol a night.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 14, 2007

I've never had pinkeye & hope I never do. I keep Clorox wipes & hand sanitizer in my classroom & wipe down EVERYTHING I commonly touch on a regular basis.

I even keep wipes in my car & home & wipe down commonly touched things on a regular basis: Door handles, steering wheel, computer keyboards, phones, etc.

10. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 15, 2007

I was off of work this Monday because I had pink eye. I didn't get it from a student though, I gave it to myself. I've been coming down with a cold and I probably accidentally rubbed my eye after a cough or a sneeze. The doctor said that most Pink Eye cases are caused by the cold virus.