Pink and purple, do they "go"?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Sep 11, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

For my wedding I'm thinking of wearing these shoes, with a soft, lilac colored petticoat. (we're keeping the wedding a secret from the public for a variety of reasons so I don't have girlfriends to ask!!) My dress is short so the petticoat will show. Opinions?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(top left corner)

(I hope the site downsizes that picture, it's enormous! :sorry:)

3. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 11, 2012

That petticoat would not be my choice to go with those shoes, but it's your wedding so if it's your taste then go for it. I don't think it's horrible I just don't care for lavender with dusty pale pink. The shoes are super cute, though. :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

The shoes look a bit 'Minnie Mouse' and not wedding like at all. :sorry:

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

I know you're not doing the traditional thing (and I didn't either), but I don't think they match.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

I'm guessing you didn't ask for us to sugar coat our answers, so I'll give you my opinion...I don't like the shoes! I think they look like something a very old lady would wear, with a hair bow attached.

Sorry! I don't mean to be rude. Maybe they go with your dress, but I don't think they match the purple.

7. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for the replies!

I'm having a super hard time finding shoes. I don't want white shoes and I want something fun and funky. And they need a low heel which has been almost impossible to find. Those are the best things I came across!

I'm also definitely wearing a petticoat, just need to decide the color. I was thinking yellow, but evidently my novio thinks yellow is the most awful color on the planet :rolleyes:

8. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Sep 11, 2012

Why not a red petticoat and red shoes? I've seen several brides wearing red shoes lately. If you did a lavendar petticoat, you could probably do darker purple shoes.

9. bison

bison Habitué

Sep 11, 2012

I think the shoes are cute! Are you able to find a different colored petticoat? How about just white or a matching dusty pink?

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not a big fan of red. I prefer a more subtle color I suppose.

Thanks! They actually do have a petticoat that looks like it's the same pink color. And of course they have white. But I'm not really a matchy matchy person. Plus I'm attempting to convince my novio to wear a matching bow tie and there's no way in the world he would wear pink. :rolleyes:

There's not much of the wedding that is "wedding-y" really.:cool:

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 11, 2012

I will be different and say that I love the shoes. In fact, where did you get them? I do agree though that I don't think the lavender petticoat matches, although I really like the idea of one.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Here's the link to the shoes!

I haven't bought them yet since it's a whole complicated thing of sending them to my friend's parent's house in the USA, then my friend will go fetch them in November and then bring them to me. So I have to be pretty sure I want them. No way to return!;)

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 11, 2012

Pink & purple go together if you're goal is to stand out in a ghastly way. Sorry! But hey, it's your wedding. Wear whatever you want! :)

14. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Sep 11, 2012

A bit harsh??

I like the petticoat but not the shoes.

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

I'm not a "matchy-matchy" kind of person, so I totally get the non-traditional thing. However, there is a fine line to walk.

The shoes say "fun & quirky". The lavender petticoat is a fun & flirty piece. The two together say, "I got dressed in the dark" to me because you've got lavendar, white, light pink, and fushia going on . . . plus whatever else you are wearing. IMO, that's too many colors and not enough neutrals. A statement piece is great, but too many are . . . well, too many.

Have you considered a funky shoe in neutrals? Maybe the shoe itself is funky, not the colors? Then have the petticoat be the pop of color. Or switch it around and go with a neutral petticoat and a flashy shoe.

I had a friend pull off a cute look with a ivory tea-length dress, a champagne petticoat, and a funky hot-pink shoe.

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 11, 2012

Yeah you're right. It's so hard for me to find shoes. I was also thinking about these:

[​IMG]

Although to be honest, if I got those I would probably glue gems or glitter onto the wedge heel part.:haha: Maybe silver or gold glitter to keep it "neutral";)

I'm really avoiding white shoes because I know I would never wear them again.

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

The dress you posted a while go was nice...I don't think it's going to look right with a 'petticoat'. I'm quite into shoes. I haven't liked either pair you've posted..I wouldn't wear either anywhere... Have you looked on Zappos? I did a search for heels less than 2 3/4 inches in colors that may work for you...some of what came up are quite nice: (some arent:dizzy:)

http://www.zappos.com/women-heels/C...wAEB4gIGBwEYAhUI.zso?s=recentSalesStyle/desc/

18. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 11, 2012

I was a bridesmaid twice in one month. Both brides selected our dresses at a place called Bridaltown in Philadelphia. The BUILDING was pink and purple.

[​IMG]

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

I think it's the muted pink that I don't care for--I think if you're going with lavender, you should go for bright pink!

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

cza-I'm currently fantasy shopping on Zappos!

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

Google 'pink and purple wedding' images. Many pictures ith tasteful ideas of beautiful dresses, cakes, flowers.

24. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

Oh, cza...I just bought shoes today (shhh, don't tell my hubs!) and you go posting that link. You are going to get me into trouble! :lol:

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

Payday's Friday...treat yourself. Tell dh it's my fault...or don't tell him at all...I sneak my shoes into the house.:D

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 11, 2012

If you just want the pouf from a petticoat, you can shorten it from the waistband so it won't show. I had to have that done for my formals back in my pageant days.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

32. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 11, 2012

I miss heels. I'm jealous of everyone with their original ankles!!

Edited to add- But I am very happy that I can walk, so really missing heels is not such a big deal.

33. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

Oh, I covet BM shoes...so glamorous! I wish I had more places to wear them!

34. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2012

I do that too...of course it's a lot easier when he's not here. ;) I do it with clothes too. :)

35. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

I divorced my husband, so shoes come freely into my house now.

I also think the shades of pink in the original shoe were what turned me off. Many pinks and purples go together. The second shoe seems too casual to me.

36. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 11, 2012

I think pink and purple can go together, but it depends on the shade and the intensity of the colors.
    I don't really like the shoes, though, mostly it's the bow that just stands out.

37. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 11, 2012

These shoes are low and come in many colors, although I can't see the colors on my iPad.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/satin-...-party-evening-shoes-more-colors_p378888.html

This is a nice light pink shoe

http://www.lightinthebox.com/leatherette-stiletto-pumps-for-party-office-more-colors_p265894.html

Also comes in many colors and has beading

http://www.lightinthebox.com/satin-...ding-shoes-more-colors-available_p308164.html

Another pink but a bit little girl

http://www.lightinthebox.com/patent...ow-for-party-evening-more-colors_p265898.html

That site has a lot of options and I don't think they show all the colors you can get. If you did light pink shoes and a light pink petticoat it could work, although I don't remember your dress.

38. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 11, 2012

Oh boy... this thread is a fashion disaster :(. Can you post a picture of your dress?

Pink and purple DO go together... with other colors mixed in. I'm wearing my favorite plaid shirt right now: bright pink, light purple, dark purple, black, white, grey.

Lavender petticoat? Not with those shoes. The shoes could work... but it depends entirely on the dress.

39. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2012

The shoes are "fun" and I'm thinking they fit your personality? I would choose another color dress though, something to tame the whole outfit down a bit. You don't want to end up looking like a clown with polka dots and your "tutu" sticking out. It's your wedding, not a birthday party.

40. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2012

I like the idea. like everyone else, I do not care for those shoes with that petticoat.

What about blue? Then you have the traditional "something blue." That's what I am doing. In fact, the blue shoes are the only thing I HAVE bought or decided on for the wedding. I was just excited that I found a pair of blue heels in an extra wide. http://www.zappos.com/bouquets-starlight-turquoise-patent Of course, if they don't look right with the dress, they will be going back!

41. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 12, 2012

Ahh, the voice of reason...from a guy!! I'm trying to picture this fashion combo of dress/petticoat/shoes but I really can't. If you're going to go with lavender for the petticoat I would pick a more like sparkly or silver shoes. I know they are hard to find in a low heel though since I have been looking for the same thing for a few months.