Piggy back off other post - Fridge/microwave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by thirdgrade, Aug 10, 2008.

1. thirdgrade

thirdgrade Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Hi all - I notice in the personal item post that a lot of you have a fridge, is this in your classroom or community fridge? I am wondering if I should invest in a fridge and microwave for my room?:confused:

3. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I have my own microwave and fridge in my room. Others on my team will use them as well as the custodians as my room is close to their office. Right now you should be able to get a really good deal since so many sales are geared toward college students needing these items in their dormrooms.

A few weeks ago a coworker walked in and saw both and couldn't believe I had them...she asked how long I've had them and I said over 10 years. She thought they were new. She was a bit miffed because when she asked the office they told her no. I don't think I ever asked and the custodians know so I told her to just do it and see what happens. We have a full size fridge and 2 small ones in our staff room but there is barely room in them to accomodate some of the staff.

I think they told her no because of the need to conserve energy. Our building is one of the best for that even with myself and several others using fridges and microwaves. Sorry, I got off on a tangent.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2008

Be sure to check with your custodians about the regulations before you invest--we aren't allowed to have either in our clasrooms (Health and Safety regulations).

5. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

Make sure you do check with the office/custodians before you do. Ours has to have a 3 prong plug so it is grounded (fire marshall order).

6. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

There also could be an "appliance fee."

At my previous school, they charged $35/appliance for the year. Unless you could provide the school board with a valid reason why it was needed for the curriculum, you were charged the fee.

7. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I have a mini fridge and a microwave in the room (purchased out of pocket). The mini fridge is for the children's daily milk. I purchased the microwave for my own use-- as well as others on my grade level.

As for regulations... one of the custodians flat out told me last year that I had to purchase a small fridge for the classroom. She delivers milk before school only, and the milk needs to be kept cold until snack time. (I was a new teacher and wasn't aware of how the milk situation was handled). As for the microwave- well, I just went out and bought it. The custodians know it's there... they never said anything about it.

8. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Aug 10, 2008

Fridge/Micro

I have both in my room. I allow the students to put their drinks in it as well:)

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I have both though officially I'm not supposed to have either.

It's not my fault our electrical system is so old it shorts out half the time a microwave is used on it...

10. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I have a microwave and mini-fridge in my room. It comes in handy. I put mine on a purchase order through the special ed office and they purchased it... probably because we do use it for my special needs students (some bring microwave meals for lunch, some bring soy milk and juice for breakfast, etc.) We do use it for personal stuff too though.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I have thought about getting a fridge, but keep cheaping out. I just don't want to spend the $$.

I keep bottled water in the teachers lounge fridge & send a student to get it for me if I forget to. It has worked for me.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 10, 2008

Got both, well, small fridge, big fridge and a microwave. The big fridge and microwave is in one room where the kids eat their meals. It takes a big one for all my kids. We go ahead and stock up their juices and such so it will be cold for later in the week. I have some that bring their lunches and week keep what needs to be cold in there, too.

The small fridge we put our drinks in there. We used to keep it all in the big one but with the potential of having more kids, I need the space in the big fridge. Our salad stuff will still go in the big fridge.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

We can only have microwaves if we also purchase a fire extinguisher for our room. So, I know of only 1 teacher with a microwave.

I thought about buying a mini-fridge but since I moved to the main building, I am only 3 rooms from the teachers lounge, so I think I'll save my $$ (Plus there are only 2 outlets in my room so I have no idea where I'd put it!

14. ms.defelice

ms.defelice Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I would check with your school before spending the money. I had a small fridge in my room that I put in without asking permission. Last year my school district was trying to conserve more energy, and so fridges and microwaves were banned. They do random afterhour/ weekend inspections of the classrooms, too, to make sure everyone follows the rules.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2008

I have a mini fridge and am planning on getting a microwave for next year. I'm sort of expecting the district to ban such items next year, so we'll have to see.

I don't keep my personal food/drinks in the community fridges because we have a big theft problem. I know my Diet Cokes would be gone in mere moments.

16. cruiserteacher

cruiserteacher Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I wish I could have a fridge in my room, it would be so handy! Also, it would help me avoid the teacher's lounge, which can be so toxic! But, we are not allowed to have fridges because of energy conservation. They even took the one out of the SN preschool room and they have to share with the one in the lounge.

17. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2008

I love having a small fridge and microwave in my room. I share it with my assistant and any teacher nearby who would like to use it. My fridge was almost a necessity the year I pumped milk for my son. I think I had it before then, though.

A few years back we did get a memo from our school district saying they weren't allowed, but no one at the building level ever acted on it. It does have to be plugged into a power strip with a surge protector. That was provided by the school.

18. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I have a small fridge and a hot chocolate maker (i hate coffee). Our dept head as a small, but slightly larger fridge and the micro. and a coffee maker..many teachers have some or parts of all listed above. there is no staff fridge, not really even a lounge.

At the school I used to sub in, a teacher had a toaster, she'd plug it in, in the mornings and make toast for breakfast, then unplug it and put it on her shelf after she was done

19. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

I have a mini fridge and microwave but I am in private school. I got my fridge through Scholastic with bonus points!

20. I<3kiddos

I<3kiddos Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I have a microwave and a small fridge. It comes in handy for science experiments that need ice, lunches, ice packs (to alleviate extraneous trips to the nurse), drinks, etc.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 10, 2008

My fridge is the one the my husband had in his dorm room eons ago. The microwave is from his 1st apartment. That makes both appliances over 20 yrs. old although they weren't used continously over that time period. I would definitely be willing to pay a small fee for my 2 appliances if I would ever need too.

22. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

I have a fridge and a microwave. I teach self contained ESE so I'm with the kids 24/7 and can't get to the lounge to use the stuff in there. There was word that the district might try to ban them last year so I asked someone in charge and he said they didn't dare ban fridges and microwaves because the employees would revolt! I have seen what the fridge in the lounge looks like and smells like so I wouldn't put anything in there anyways.

23. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I have both...didn't ask just did. A few years ago we were asked to put the caution: microwave in use sign on our doors if we had them, but that's all I've ever heard. I love having them...so convenient. I've also used them for parts of my curriculum, when doing food activities. I stock mine with condiments and water so it's always cold. Lots of staff have one or the other or both, so I guess I'm ok.

24. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 10, 2008

I have a fridge and had to get special clearance because of the "energy crisis" but I had it already. Oh, and the clearance was because I have a student with diabetes....and I like cold water. :) I also had to get special clearance for a fan because of a student with dravet's syndrome who cannot get overheated. I have a microwave, but it's so tiny that I'll use the one next door if I have to. I do have a popcorn popper too.

25. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

Our diabetic colleague left her mini fridge with us when she left teaching. We aren't supposed to have it. She was allowed due to med. condition.

I hope we can get away with keeping it. I'm trying to disguise it a bit.