Piercings...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wi2boston2wi, Sep 9, 2009.

1. wi2boston2wi

wi2boston2wi Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Hey all.

Trying to here some more opinions on this topic.

I am a male working with elementary school age children. I have my ear pierced, but ALWAYS take my earring out when working with kids. My reasoning behind this is because I do not want to influence them in that way. (I have a nephew who wants to get his ear pierced because his "cool" uncle has his pierced)

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it would be appropriate for a male teacher to have an earring?

What about other piercings? Nose/lip/eyebrow/etc....

Perhaps your school has a rule about piercings.....what is it?

Thanks all!

3. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

In Canada it would be discriminatory to NOT hire someone because of this. I teach with a teacher who has dreadlocks. BUT I wouldn't recommend wearing one to an interview. It is hard to prove discrimination.

4. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Sep 9, 2009

We have one male teacher with a pierved ear. He doesn't wear the earring to school either. Our school rule only allows for pierced ears, male or female/students and teachers.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2009

I have a pierced tongue.

If I wear anything, it's a very small, nearly invisible bar. Most people don't notice it. Last year I wore it for about 6 months before anyone noticed, and even then it was just one student.

I don't see a problem with it.

6. amaryllis

amaryllis Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Yes. I think it's fine for a male teacher to have an earring. It's not uncommon anymore.
    I think it's fine for someone to have a discrete nose piercing. They're part of a huge percentage of the world's cultural heritage. It's easy to challenge being asked to remove them on religious grounds, if you happen to be Hindu. Also, they're about as common as earrings.

Granted, I live in California.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2009

I don't see the problem with it. One of the teachers in our board (I think he teaches grade 5 or 6) has large spacers/plugs (not sure if that's what they are called?) in each of his ears.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 9, 2009

I have a cartilage piercing that has never been an issue in either public or private. I also have my belly button pierced, which obviously does not show, although my student saw it yesterday when I wiped my sweat off with my shirt while we were running.

I guess I don't think piercing are a big deal at all, and I love mine, so I wouldn't think influencing kids towards them is a bad thing at all, as long as they are old to make the decision when they get them.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 9, 2009

Teachers cannot have any piercings that show other than the ears and male teachers cannot wear earrings at school.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2009

This really surprises me for some reason! :haha:

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 9, 2009

Our principal has his ear pierced, but I only saw him wear an earring once. It was for a dress-up day. However, one of our male teachers has both ears pierced and sometimes wears hoops in both.

12. Miss Butterfly

Miss Butterfly Rookie

Sep 9, 2009

Piercings

My school does not have a rule against ear piercings--nor do I believe it should. It would be discriminatory to tell men they are not allowed to wear earrings when it's something that women do freely.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2009

:lol: How come?

14. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2009

How stupid will this sound...but maybe it's your avatar? I have no clue. You know how it is when you fabricate these images of people...I just hadn't added a tongue ring yet. :haha:

Not that there's anything wrong with it!

15. holliday

holliday Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

In our district, (as far as I know) there isn't a rule against it. Lots of people here have piercings, long hair, tattoos, etc. I imagine it really depends on what is the "norm" in your region. I grew up in a conservative area (Louisiana) and I am SURE it wouldn't be allowed. That kind of thing is one reason I don't live there anymore.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2009

:lol: I totally get it! No problem!

For the record, most people seem to think I'm some sort of enigma, or at least extremely bizarre. I look like a nerdy librarian (but with red curly hair). I listen to indie rock. My classroom has posters of Edward Cullen and Morrissey. I have my tongue pierced.

I think my students have a hard time figuring me out at the beginning of the year. I don't mind. At least the mystery/intrigue keeps them coming back to class. :cool:

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Sep 9, 2009

Well; first of all, let me say that I think it's rather quite conscientious of you to be concerned and removing your earring for the reason stated. :thumb:
    Call me old school or whatever (ok, please don't, hehe), but if a male chooses to wear an earring, that's his business though I personally don't care for it. To each his own, really.
    My daughter has a pierced tongue, yuck. My personal opinion, but I still love her.
    I've gotten used to seeing piercings on people now, so I'm not shocked by it at all.

I work at a private school and earrings are not allowed except on the girls, one pair, or one earring on each ear, only.

18. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Sep 10, 2009

I think it all depends on where you work and the image you want to portray. One of the girls in my university class has two steel bolts in her chin (kinda like pointed teeth but they stick out of her chin) and works in a preschool as a teacher. She hasn't run into any problems with her piercings nor has anyone I know had a problem with them/tatoos/etc, regardless if they are male or female.

If you feel self conscious about them, just take them out. As said previously, they aren't really uncommen.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 10, 2009

I would check your school's teacher and student dress code. If they are allowed on both, I don't see how any one could complain.