piercings on teachers?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by oooface, Sep 23, 2007.

1. oooface

oooface Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Need your honest thoughts...
    I have always wanted to get a teeny tiny nose piercing. Although I would love to run out and just do it, I hesitate because I am concerned about how it will be perceived by other teachers and parents. I teach at an elementary school, and there is another teacher there who has her nose pierced. Obviously my principal does not have a problem with it. In this day and age it seems more acceptable for small tattoos and piercings on teachers. What do you guys think? Does anyone at the school you teach at have a piercing?

3. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't suggest it. That's coming from someone who used to have an eyebrow ring and I have a tattoo ON MY WRIST haha. I always wear a watch at school and nobody even knows it's there. If you want the piercing I would suggest having it done over Christmas break or even the summer so that you can have time to wear it long enough so that the hole doesn't close up when you take it out....that way you can take it out when you are teaching. I love my tattoo and I'm not ashamed of it at all, but there is a certain image you want to portray as a teacher and certain topics you don't want to have to discuss with children. There are a lot of kids who look up to you and there are a lot of parents who don't like tattoos/piercings. This might cause some upset if a child becomes obsessed with getting a piercing because Mrs or Mr. such and such has one! There's nothing wrong with deviating from the norm, but there's also nothing wrong with conforming when it's in the best interest of others. I take my watch off when I get home. =o)

Luv2TeachInTX and recursivemax like this.
  4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

I would not get it either. I had a tongue ring for years. haha. I even worked at middle and high schools. I just used a small barbell so no one noticed.
    When I started working in elementary schools I got rid of it.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2007

Hi,

I have to agree that you might have some parents who will be offended, and you may have some students who will either be shocked- or will want to copy.

Some of my co-workers have tattoos (some huge- and they do not cover them up), and when I see them, they make me cringe. That is just me :blush: I think smaller ones (that can easily be covered) are ok.

6. ecross1983

ecross1983 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I'm from the younger generation and I honestly don't see anything wrong with a nose ring. I would talk about it though and let people know you are thinking about it and see what they say about it.

nstructor likes this.
  7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2007

i don't think there is anything wrong with it either. I mean, be prepared for some of the older people to think it is inappropriate, but I doubt anyone will say anything to you. But i think a nose ring (a very very small stud) is totally normal, like having your ears pierced.

I have wanted to get my hair dyed a funky color like blue or bright red (just highlights) for awhile. The only thing that has stopped me is I want to be an administrator, and I want to move into that position soon and I am only in my 20's, so I don't need another thing to remind them how young I am. But other than that I say go for it.

8. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Sep 23, 2007

It totally depends on the school/community. There is no way this would fly at my school/community. But the school I student taught at I would not even have worried, I would have just went and got one. If another teacher has one it is probably ok.

9. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Sep 23, 2007

I got my tongue pierced when I was 19 (it wasn't spur of the moment, I had thought about it for years prior), but then took it out at 21 when I started doing internships/student teaching because I thought it was unprofessional. I knew I'd never get it done again. I did enjoy it while I had it though!

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

I agree with the above notes. Feel out at your school how it would go. At my school it wouldn't at all. The teachers with tatoos (female) are still looked at with a quirked eyebrow. (We have two men who have military tatooes and no one says anything...hmmmph :naughty: double standard anyone??) Again, remember that, like it or not, we are expected to set an example for our students. Most of our life choices are scrutinized. I've written on here before that I am from a small town and every time I went to rent a video in our town's one and only video store, I had somone there trying to see what I was renting. In fact, I don't go to the store any more. I have movie channels and belong to Netflix. I can get my movies without the stares now.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 23, 2007

I'm old school - if you care about future administrators, older teachers and parents I wouldn't do it. I feel teachers (especially younger ones) need to work hard at looking professional and when they dress or look the same as teenagers they lose respect (no disrespect intended).

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 23, 2007

Also, considering putting it off until before a long vacation-- possibly summer.

That way, you have time for the piercing to heal; you'll be able to remove the ring if the occasion should demand it.

13. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 23, 2007

I'm from the "younger generation" too! And I have a tattoo on my wrist, but I still don't think it's a good idea to expose a tattoo or a piercing while at school. I worked at a fast food restaurant when I was in high school and they wouldn't even allow you to wear your piercing or expose tattoos. I just don't think it's appropriate or necessary while you're around the kids. I think it would cause a lot of parents to be annoyed when their child wants a piercing because their teacher has one. Teachers are HUGE role models, obviously. I say get it pierced during a break or the summer so you will have time to not let the hole grow up and then during school you can leave it out. I doubt many teachers will be very impressed by it, anyway. You might be a celebrity amongst the kids, but that's what you should avoid. You know how they say the freaks come out at night? Haha. Not literally, but u know what I mean!

14. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 23, 2007

Like a few people have already posted, you have to know your own school and community. I've been in schools where a nose ring would not have even raised an eyebrow, but the district I teach in now would have a fit! Same city--different part of town.

I don't have a problem with piercings and tattoos as long as you leave yourself some options with them. Get something that can be covered in case you are ever in a conservative atmosphere. You never know where you'll be teaching or working 10 years from now.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 23, 2007

I think it's fine. I'll bet the Bay Area is pretty relaxed about those thngs. I'm in Seattle and know of teachers with small piercings, visible tattoos and other things like that.

Here are some more extremes, people I know from school who are teaching in public schools:

I have a friend who is a teacher and has her ears stretched. She wears these loopy tribal looking things in them. I think that's more riske' than a pierced nose. She teaches in a conservative school and dressed conservatively at work, but the stretched ears are still showing. Outside of work, she does not dress so conservatively... actually not at all.

I know a teacher with dreadlocks (she is white.) She has the whole hippie thing going on and totally smells like patchouli, wears patchwork clothing, everything. I was in grad school with her.

Note: I don't have any piercings, tattoos or anything else- not for me, no matter the atmosphere of the school.

16. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 23, 2007

I would suggest talking to the administration before you do it. If you don't talk to them about it and they don't approve they are just going to ask you to remove it, anyway. So, why not just go ahead and save yourself the time and money if that will be the case. However, they may say that it's perfectly alright with them. If that's the case, they will most likely be willing to defend you in the event that someone has a problem with it. I am not conservative at all in my personal life. I used to have an eyebrow ring and I have the wrist tattoo like I mentioned, but I understand there are a lot of ******** out there who want to worry about what everyone else is doing. So, just to keep the fuss down and a peaceful work environment I conform. I was a hostess at this steakhouse in high school (a hostess doesn't touch the food and rarely goes in the kitchen) and my manager came up to me and told me to take my eyebrow ring out. I was like no way! it will close up! So, he had me put a band aid over it. So, instead of people seeing a piece of jewelry... I could look like I was covering a disease. Anyway, he told me to cover it because a customer complained after I sat him saying he hoped I didn't touch his food because I could have AIDS! could u believe it?!

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 23, 2007

I think it is fine if your school and community is open to it. I suggest going to that other teacher and finding out if anyone has complained or questioned it. At least then you would know what kind of reaction you might get. I would personally not wear a nose ring at school, but it wouldn't really bother me if someone else did. My mom :eek: actually got her nose pierced about a year ago and it has been no big deal. Most people don't even notice it unless she pints it out or they just happen to see it.

18. Miss_snugs

Miss_snugs Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I too am from the "younger generation" and I wouldn't do it. This would not fly at my school. Even though someone at your school already has one, if you ever had to move to another school they may frown upon it. For years I have wanted a tatoo on my ankle but I have never gotten one because I wouldn't be able to wear capris or skirts to work (again visible tatoos would not fly at my school.) There are just some things as a teacher that we are expected to do or not do. Some parents wouldn't be comfortable with their child's teacher having their nose pierced.

19. Here2Learn

Here2Learn Companion

Sep 23, 2007

My tattoo is very symbolic to me. It is a symbol for "father". My father who raised me is not my biological father. He is also a tattoo artist. When I got older and appreciated everything he had done for me I wanted to express how important that was to me. since he is a tattoo artist it was really symbolic for him to tattoo this symbol on me. I didn't want it randomly placed somewhere on my body so I had it done around my wrist like a bracelet. At the time I had no idea what I was going to do with my life, but I knew at some point I may be in situations where I didn't want it to be exposed. At the time I had an eyebrow ring and purple hair, but was still smart enough to think ahead. Everyone thought I was crazy for getting it on my wrist and people still say "why did you get that on your wrist where you can't cover it up?" and then i say, " of course i can, all i have to do is wear a watch or a bracelet." and then they are like ooh, cool. then i usually tell them why i got it and that i chose to have it put there so that i COULD cover it up. if getting a piercing or a tattoo is really important to you then i say go for it...just keep the future in mind when doing so. it's a big decision.

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 23, 2007

I agree with waiting for a longer vacation to give you some healing time.

Any piercings other than ear piercings on women (and two piercings per ear is looked at as rather wild where I am from) wouldn't work at my school. It's a rather traditional place.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

My daughter has a few piercings and I'm not happy about it. But, it's her life.

It sure wouldn't go over well at my school. Especially since students may not have them.

22. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 23, 2007

My best friend's daughter works at a daycare and has to remove her eyebrow piercing for work, her son works at an Oil change place and has to remove his (actually his is probably a safety issue), but there are many work places that now specify no piercings other than ears. I checked out our dress code out of curiosity (I knew the kids weren't allowed piercings other than ears, but didn't think it said anything about teachers. It does. It specifies that men can't have piercings at all (with cultural exceptions) and women can only have ears pierced.

23. tlp62832

tlp62832 Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

I think teachers have to be different from the students and that means being professional, but still fashionable. Piercings are ok, but not professional.

24. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 23, 2007

It certainly depends on the school climate and district, but remember the students do notice quite a bit and you are their role model. I have seen it on teachers before, but I wouldn't do it myself.

25. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Sep 23, 2007

I would have to say that you have to judge based on make-up of your school. I used to teach in an inner-city school and I probably wouldn't have worried about it there. However, now I teach in a suburban school in an affluent area and I KNOW they'd be up in arms about it. I think the area, your principal and types of parents are the real indicators.

26. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 24, 2007

I agree with the other posters that you have to feel out the school/community before doing it. Make sure that the admin doesn't mind if you do it. I personally wouldn't do it though I've thought about getting it done. I have tat on my ankle. Like Here2Learn said, at the time I got it done, I had no idea I wanted to be a teacher. I cover it up most of the time when I wear capris or skirts. One day I forgot to cover it up, my students (2nd graders) never said anything about it. At a parent conference, a parent said that her daughter told her I had a tat and the student that I was so cool because of it. I was doing my student teaching at the school district I graduated from. I forgot to cover it up one day and the AP in passing said that I might need to cover it up. I taught kinder and I and another teacher had tats on our ankles. We could go around w/o covering it up and no one said a word. It depends on how your admin see it.

27. ruralneteach

ruralneteach Rookie

Sep 28, 2007

Piercings definitely don't go over at my school. Two years ago the kindergarten teacher and I went to testify in the legislature against the consolidation of our school. The state capitol is on the other end of the state and we had a seven hour drive both ways. At any rate, we had stopped at a truck stop for gas and they had magnetic studs for lips, noses, etc. The kindergarten teacher is a very traditional, proper, no-nonsense person and quite judgmental without necessarily meaning to be. That's just the way she is. Anyway, I talked her into buying them and we returned to school with piercings. She bought a nice ruby colored stud for her nose and I got a metal spike for my bottom lip. It was hard keeping a straight face all day long .... the rest of the staff were absolutely appalled that we had done that. They even said it didn't surprise them that I had done it, but not Holly! (not her real name) Our administrator was beside herself .... she just didn't know what to say or do and wasn't sure that she could. She went ahead and told me how disappointed she was and dumbfounded.

The funniest part of the day was eating lunch. We had chili and the magnet from the inside of my lip flipped up to connect with the spoon and my spike went clattering across the floor. By this time, our colleagues knew we were just messing with the administrator's head and helped cover while I recovered it from the floor and reattached it.

I did have a fifth grade student walk up to me and look at me and she just shook her head and asked me, "Why?" I'll never forget the look on her face. I really felt awful. I wasn't even her classroom teacher. I had her for phys. ed. and computers twice a week, but that moment really drove home the fact that we serve as role models whether we want to or not.

You might want to try a magnetic version just to test the waters. They're cheap and you'll know immediately how it will be received.

28. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2007

We have teachers with tats (visible) and nose piercings. No one says anything.
    My best assistant ever had a full arm sleeve tattoo of an aquarium theme. I didn't like it, but that's just me. I have a tat, but only my husband can see it:rolleyes:

My only beef with nose piercings is that when it's the screw in type that looks like an 'L' sometimes that end sticks out the nostril and it looks like a booger. :p

29. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 5, 2007

I am not they younger generation, and I have several tattoos. I am professional in every sense of the word. I never draw attention to them,and rarely am I asked why I have them.(even by parents.) It does not affect the way I teach children, which is what I do for a living. We live in an age where more and more professional people are getting body art and it is acceptable. I am proud of my body art. Each and every one was designed for me by an artist, and no one else has anything like them. I did not go and pick them off the wall. I do agree that there is a double standard-men can have them, but women can't? Same with body piercings. Not all people who choose to wear body art or piercings are bikers!!

30. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Oct 6, 2007

i agree...

when i was in college, a professor explained it like this, "your generation may not see a problem with it [piercings, tattoos], but my generation does the hiring."

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 6, 2007

Isn't that considered discrimination????

32. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 6, 2007

One of my team teachers told us the other day that she had to have surgery to replace/transplant gum tissue from the top of her mouth to the bottom because she had a tongue piercing that wore away the gums holding her bottome teeth in. The doctor told her that she was at risk of losing her teeth.

33. Stuart

Stuart Guest

Jul 7, 2017

This thread made me very sad. The fact that we live in a world where there needs to be a discussion about what you can and can't do with your bodies is crazy. We claim to live in a tolerant world, but yet this whole thread is all about teachers, the teaching institution and parents all being completely intolerant of expressions of the body.

Kids are going to find out at some point people have piercings. This conservatism only breads extremism and a feeling that people (and kids) who do want to do this are somehow outcasts or lonely.

Let people be people. Our schools and society will be better for it. Judge teachers on the respect they command of their students and the subject matter...not what they look like.

Do what you want with your bodies.

34. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2017

This I should also a 10 year old thread! While some communities remain conservative, tattoos and piercings are more a part of the social norm these days. A word of caution, however, if you are seeking a new job the interviewers are looking at your teaching skills, but also how you will fit in with the existing staff. Exuberant facial/neck tattoos or piercings, while they make a personal statement, may not make the kind of statement that an employer is looking for.

teacherintexas and Luv2TeachInTX like this.
  35. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 7, 2017

Somewhat related, but not about a visible piercing or tattoo.

I used to have my belly button pierced. One day, one of my preschoolers hugged me and felt it through my shirt. He insisted on lifting up my shirt to see what it was because "there's a ball-y thing in there!" I know my face was super red, but my co-teacher at the time just laughed and laughed.
    I was somewhat forced to take it out a year ago because the top of the barbell fell off and my extras were at my parents house (I hadn't changed the "ring" in years!) and I had no way to keeping one end in there. A few weeks later I visited my parents and tried to put another barbell in but the hole had closed up already. I figured it was time since I'd had it for 10 years now, and I'm almost 30 years old so ... it was time.. RIP navel piercing.

Edit: JUST noticed the dates. Why was this brought back?! o_O

36. Teachis4m3

Teachis4m3 Rookie

Jul 7, 2017

It's against my faith to have piercings but it also against my faith to discriminate others faiths.
    I had friends who had piercings and my Mom never let me get them (though as an adult I kept with her teachings)
    That being said, body mutilation (or more favorably called my others:modification) is an advanced subject and decision making for a person or their family. I feel as role models we should be conservative in exposure of that to our students. Cover it up please unless it is just simple ear piercings

37. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 7, 2017

I know that we have two teachers with nose piercings, and our secretary has one, too.

Quite a few have tattoos. (I have the most.). Mine are large, but they're all covered with pants and a 3/4 sleeve shirt. I don't hesitate to show them, though.

I'm in a conservative area, and nobody says anything about it.

38. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2017

I know that this is an old thread, but here we are ten years later, and the school where I work bans piercings being displayed during school hours that include nose, tongue, and any piercings on the torso. What you do on your time is fine with them, but they feel that these piercings send the wrong message about us as professionals to a group of troubled children. Body art must be covered. Many of our students use tats as gang affiliations, so we discourage it. Personally, one teacher wore her nose ring, thinking no one would notice. Maybe they wouldn't have noticed, but having it torn out of her nose by an irate student, requiring a trip to the ER to suture the damage, got everyone's attention.

39. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 9, 2017

We have to follow the student dress code (obviously with additional rules) and students may only have piercings on the ears (but there is no limit on number or restriction of ear piercings.) Students (and teachers) are allowed to have visible tattoos or "unnatural" hair colors, so I really think that the piercing rule is actually about safety (PE, labs, etc,) Students are able to get religious exceptions, though, and many of our girls do.

40. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2017

It's just adding the possibility of negative impressions.