pictures

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by newbie0809, Mar 26, 2009.

1. newbie0809

newbie0809 Companion

Mar 26, 2009

I didn't really do this, this year since it's my first year teaching but I noticed other teachers that did and I would like to also. They would take pictures of their class during pajama day, peprallys, for almost every extra activity. I know the pictures are for memories but I was wondering what are some other things I could do with the pictures?

3. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Mar 26, 2009

Some of the teachers here copy the pictures and run off memory books for their class. They type captions on each page, etc. Makes a great keepsake.

4. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Mar 26, 2009

I use pictures in my weekly parent newsletter. I think it creates a little window for parents to see what their children are doing in my classroom. Some teachers post classroom pictures on their class websites, but I made a personal decision years ago never to post my students' pictures on the web. If I get a great picture of a student engaged in a great lesson or activity, I'll stick it in my professional portfolio.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

One of my posts copied from other thread~

My cooperating teachers made a compulation DVD with scenes/photos from the year set to music. They played it at this end of the year ice cream social as families roamed the building. There were to be two showings. The first was crowded...the second was packed because all those who saw it the first time came back...and we ended up having it shown a third time for two families who came late (word got out- and that showing was full too).

You can do it with I-movies or Movie-Maker on the PCs. It sounds more daunting than it is.

To give a burned copy of that dvd to each child would have been a WONDERFUL gift. (More work than cost... but a really nice gift!)

Added... the song they put the montag to was by a group called Vitamin C. Song: Graduation Song/Friends Forever (Approx: 5 minutes long)

The song has a line or two that MIGHT be more teenage (I didn't know much of love)...but it goes by fast and it's tame. I'll tell you..kids/adults/teachers/others...no-one got through it without misty eyes

Here's the song on you tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDM3eYp4KQ&feature=related

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 26, 2009

Oh... I forgot. The teachers would show a copy of the montag to the kids before it was officially finished- no music..the timing wasn't down perfect. But the point of them watching was that they were to count how many times they saw THEMSELVES (so that it would be fair...if Antoni only sees himself 2 times, and Ashley counts 7 times for herself.. you have to edit. it's not the Ashley show.) The teachers had enough pictures to choose from... some were GREAT- some were so funny.

And even though the song is called "graduation" this class was a second grade class.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Mar 26, 2009

I've also used photos in the kids' portfolios... especially in preschool, when there isn't a lot of "book work" and worksheets, I have used pictures to show mastery of skills or involvement... (plus it was very high motivation for the kids!!!)

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 26, 2009

I take pictures sometimes, and I post them in my classroom. The kids love seeing themselves. I also have a photo album, and I would like to keep one for each year. One of my cooperating teachers during student teaching did this and her students loved looking back at the old pictures (some were from before I was born!:) )

9. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Mar 26, 2009

I've done a little bit of almost all of these things listed during one year or another:
    - photos for portfolio/memory books
    - slide show to be seen at our end of the year open house. You can download the free programs PhotoStory or MovieMaker from Microsoft that you can make it on.
    - make a DVD of the slide show as an end of the year gift to kids
    - put a couple pix in our weekly newsletter (I make sure to keep a running list of the kids I put in the newsletter so that everyone gets amount of equal turns.)
    - scrapbook - a couple times I had the pix printed out & the kids made their own scrapbook.
    - http://smilebox.com/ - is the newest thing that I like to do. They're online slideshows, scrapbooks, e-cards that you can make. (My district mandates that we have parents sign a photo-release form before anything can be posted online.) Teachers can sign up for free at: http://media.smilebox.com/teachers/welcome
    - since this is your first year, it's also a great time to start a "photo wall" of all your students. On the back cupboard in my room I have a photo collage of ALL the students I've had. Former students love coming back to see their picture when they were a "little 1st grader."

10. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Mar 26, 2009

I also take pictures of all my kiddos through out the year. On the first day, I take their picture in front of our school. Close to the end of school, I take their picture in the same spot. They get a kick out of seeing how much they have grown! I then glue these 2 pictures to a front of a colored file folder. I have the kids paste the words First Grade Memories, my 1st day of 1st grade and my last days of first grade above the correct photo. All over the inside and back cover, we glue down pictures of our class from various times of the year. They also have individual pictures of themselves from various times. I laminate these and use them to put in their year end awards and pass them out at our awards ceremony. They are always a big hit with the kids and their parents!

11. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Mar 26, 2009

At conference times, Back to School night, etc..., I burn a cd of some of the pictures that we have taken and run them as a slide show on a computer outside my classroom door. During conferences, this gives waiting families something to watch.

I have a computer in the window by the lunch line and run a slide show of recent pictures on this for students to watch as they wait in the lunch line.

I take a picture of every student the first day they come to computer class at the beginning of the year and use these pictures in different projects that we do. (Use their face on the body of an Easter bunny, use their face in the middle of a flower, and more)

I have the 7th graders make an end of the year slide show set to music with as many pics as we can include in a 15 minute show. This year I am having them use a site called PiZap to add captions and funny stickers.

I got a great idea from Education World about using the pictures to create a large US Flag. Turned out neat!

12. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I take tons of pictures throughout the year - I hardly ever don't have my camera at school!

I use them several different ways. On parent teacher conferences I make a board of class happenings so parents can look at it while they wait for their turn. I also make a photo book at the end of the year to have (more as a memory for me to keep). I also turn all the pictures into a slide show and set music to it. The last day of school I play the slide show for the students and the parents and they each get a copy to take home! They enjoy remembering different events as we go through the slide show. I also have a class blog so I upload pictures of the week events to share with parents!

13. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 27, 2009

I take pictures of everything from Start of the Week, Mystery Readers, birthday happenings, parties, field trips, award assemblies, and everything else in between. I send them to everyone via Shutterfly, my parents LOVE it, principal was impressed too. I even sent a link to my Superintendent to let him know what was going on in my class.

I've had over 3,000 hits/lookers. Parents forward the pictures to grandparents, aunt, uncles, whomever.

I had all the parents sign a permission form at the beginning of the year so they knew what was going on before I ever started.

14. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Mar 27, 2009

I post pictures on my website. (Just make sure you have parent permission first. My website's password protected.) I also give them to our yearbook committee. Since I take so many pictures, there are usually more pictures of my kids than anyone else. Also, at the end of the year I give parents the option to get a CD of all the pictures. I ask them to either bring a blank CD or send $1 to cover my costs.

15. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Mar 28, 2009

:) Hi, All! What great ideas from everyone! Sundrop, our spring concert has a patriotic theme this year...was wondering if you could share a link to the page where you got the flag/photo idea. I tried to find it, but had no luck. Thanks a bunch!

16. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Mar 28, 2009

:) Hi, All! What great ideas from everyone! Sundrop, our spring concert has a patriotic theme this year...was wondering if you could share a link to the page where you got the flag/photo idea. I tried to find it, but had no luck. Thanks a bunch!

17. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Mar 28, 2009

18. Cheyenne

Cheyenne Companion

Mar 28, 2009

Sundrop, that is so cool! Thanks so much...you've been a big help! :)