Pictures!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by msb0803, Jul 2, 2007.

1. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 2, 2007

3. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 2, 2007

That thread helped me out SO much last year! I hope that we can do another one this summer when school is starting up again so that we can get ideas of people's new classrooms too!

4. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 2, 2007

I remember this post! When I get my room set up for the 2007-2008 school year, I will be posting. This coming year, I have a large classroom library area for reader's and writer's workshop.

5. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 2, 2007

I was actually able to see my new classroom last week.....WOW - is it going to need a lot of work. It' so different from my last school....a lot older with one little whiteboard and very old chalkboards. :( Kind of small too....not sure where I"m going to put my classroom library. But I'll figure it all out I guess. :p

I'll admit, I'm excited at the challenge of sprucing it up and making it mine. I'm definitely going to take some "before" and "after" pictures. :D They won't let us in until August 1 and the teachers start back on August 20. You better believe I'll be in there on August 1st....;)

6. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 2, 2007

That was one of the best threads ever. Hopefully someone will start another one for the 2007-08 School Year.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2007

I LOVED that thread! I second (or third) that we need to have one.

Can't wait to work on my room. Think I can get in week after next.

8. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 2, 2007

We should start a thread that has pictures of bulletin boards we have created. I always seem to have a hard time coming up with new ideas. Anyone have any pictures to share?

9. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 3, 2007

Yes we totally must make another one for next school year!! I'm addicted to looking at classroom pictures. I get my third classroom now.. it'll be brand new.. I just hope it's ready in time!! I am supposed to go back August 2 but I've heard it may not even be done yet. Yikes!!

10. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Our literacy coach showed us a movie by "The 2 Sisters", although the name escapes me. They talked about reducing 'visual noise' which is something I never thought of. I know it takes the fun out of it, but they talk about choosing 1 color border for your whole room, and one color paper. I chose a black border and light purple fabric for mine. It really brings a calming effect to the room! They suggest having all of the bulletin boards covered with fabric and border, but nothing else at the beginning of the year. Then, as you cover things, put up posters and information with the class so they can refer to and use these reminders later. I figure I'll just use all my fun borders in the hallway to display work and art projects!

11. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 3, 2007

Me too! We should hold meetings. Hi, my name is Shelley and I'm a classroom picture-aholic. :D

12. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

I saw my classroom and it too needs a ton of work! It is in dire need of a makeover. Miss Kirby I really like your classroom! Did it really only take a weekend to put it all together? If so, you are giving me hope! Also, does anyone know of any other websites with great classroom pictures?

13. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 5, 2007

Awesome website. I just spent an hour printing off stuff.

15. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

I've been on Beth Newingham's website for the last year. I downloaded her book bin covers...AMAZING SITE!

16. shouts

shouts Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I found a short preview and ordering info here http://www.choiceliteracy.com/products/item8.cfm

The video is so expensive though! I'm really interested in seeing it, as I enjoyed their thoughts in the Daily Five. What's the loft thing in their room (I see wooden steps in the preview).

17. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 5, 2007

Wow, this thread is great! thanx to the original poster, msb0803, for directing us to that thread. I need to set aside a chunk of time to look through all 14 pages! I absolutely love looking at pictures from other teacher's classrooms :) It really gets the mind thinking about things you can do in your own!

18. shouts

shouts Companion

Jul 5, 2007

But I'm really starting to buy in to the two sisters: get rid of the clutter, keep the rooms simple and don't distract with wild colors. Wait to put materials on the walls until you anchor it to learning. Get rid of the "teacher's corner" -it's wasted space.

I think some of these glamorous rooms could use a makeover.

19. CatieCat

CatieCat Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Beth Newingham's website is great. Her classroom is alittle much in my opinion. I do agree in having a visual stimulating classroom but not in covering every wall. I think this can get too distracting for the students. I was overwhelmed just looking at it! That must have taken her a very long time to put together!

20. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Jul 6, 2007

I confess: I like my plain light blue walls.

I finally did get to set aside time to look through all those pictures!
    You can tell that each of those teachers really put a LOT of thought, creativity, and "themselves" into their rooms. You are very dedicated, and it shows!
    I pictured doing this for my room though, and for some reason I started to feel a little over whelmed. Not so much by the setting up as much as "not knowing where my eyes should look next".
    Maybe its because of the very active bunch I had last year, but I think my mind , and most of my students', needs more calming stimuli.

So I kind of hear what previous posters are saying: less is more.

On the other hand, I did see some great ideas that I can adapt for my room. Instead of having every corner becoming a busy, functional place of posters and signs, I think I will choose just one corner to spruce up, like my library. These picture had really fun ways to make a reading corner inviting, and exciting. There were also some cute ideas for bulletin boards that go with some units we're doing. Thank you all for sharing your creativity!

Other than that, I really like my light blue walls, with occasional reading and math posters, and student's work on the bulletin boards. I guess thats what makes the world go 'round!