Pictures/Photos of PassionaTeacher's 2nd Grade Classroom

Discussion in 'Classroom Photos' started by passionateacher, Aug 21, 2010.

1. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 21, 2010

FABULOUS!! I love the velcro dots in the gumball machine idea. And the speech bubbles are wonderful-I've used library pockets, but I may consider those speech bubbles...

4. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 21, 2010

Gumball Machine

I got the gumball machine idea from a teacher who posted on AtoZ or ProTeacher or SOME website...just can't remember who! Don't know if she used velcro gumballs but I saw her picture of the gumball machine and decided to copy it...

I wanted to use lined paper this year for the speech bubbles but the die-cut machine couldn't properly cut paper that thin.

5. mrshparker

mrshparker Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

I just love your room. It's cute without being cutsy. I am borrowing your behavior chart. My district is insisting we all have a school wide behavior plan and part of ours is using some thing exactly what you are doing. I was trying to figure out a way to do it without having to buy anything new. Except instead of boys and girls, I will do AM/PM for my two classes. Thanks for the idea!

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2010

I like how your room is uncluttered.

7. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2010

What a lovely, clean, organized, well thought out room!!!! :) Love it!

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 22, 2010

I absolutely LOVE your room!

9. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I love your room... I can tell our personalities are similiar in the way that we like our rooms set up. I love that you turned your desks around backwards. When I decided to do this, my whole team looked at me like I was crazy. I'm hoping to make tables my next DC project! Now that I want tables, suddenly everyone on my team wants tables too.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

I'd love to see your photos but I don't FB. When I click your link it asks for email address and password....:confused:

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2010

Love the room!

12. always_learning

always_learning Rookie

Aug 22, 2010

Do the desks hold their books still or do you have them on shelves that I might have missed? I just wondered if they would have to pull the desks out to get books out. You have great ideas! Thanks for sharing :)

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

Wow-- fabulous!!! I think I am probably going to steal your behavior chart. I have a much larger class this year and am not sure my usual plan will work. This one is awesome. :)

14. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 22, 2010

I have a low bookshelf where we keep textbooks (that we almost never use. I have a basket on the table for a work folder and notebook.

15. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 22, 2010

The textbooks are kept on the beige shelf that has the magazines on top. There is nothing inside their desks :thumb:. Like UVAgirl, any notebooks and folders (except for writing portfolios) will be kept in the orange bin on their desks.

16. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 23, 2010

Same here on both accounts.

17. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 23, 2010

Sorry I thought anyone would be able to see the pictures if I set my album to public. I will try to upload the photos on my flickr account then repost them directly into this thread.

18. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

I love your room! I teach 2nd also and I am so stealing your behavior chart!! I am so sick of the typical Green, Yellow, Red system-thanks!

19. MrsNickerson

MrsNickerson Rookie

Sep 4, 2010

I love your speech bubbles! That's such a cute idea!

20. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 4, 2010

can you explain the behavior chart. I know a lot of us want to use it. Do you move the sticks at the end of the day or do you keep moving them throughout the day?

21. SoReady2Teach

SoReady2Teach Comrade

Sep 4, 2010

Nice job. I love that it's cute and organized. I teach second and I got some ideas to "borrow"

22. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 5, 2010

Here is my remixed version of your chart. I've received so many compliments from parents/co-workers and school hasn't even started yet. Although I switched to K, I am still using this. Thank you again!
    [​IMG]

23. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2010

Your room looks wonderful!

24. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 5, 2010

Nice room

25. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 1, 2010

Miss84, I like the remix!

26. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 1, 2010

I wanted to use those "people" sticks but my pockets are so small, they barely fit regular tongue depressors. Next year I will probably get bigger pockets...if they even sell those!

27. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Oct 1, 2010

I always take forever to respond once the school year really begins---I get so busy and overwhelmed no matter how much I prepare each year!

They move the sticks up throughout the day. The system is school wide although most teachers use cards-in-pockets or 5 colors taped together vertically and students "clip up" with clothespins.

It is VERY subjective and I know most teachers say they just catch kids doing "good" stuff and let them move up.

I, however, like to be able to measure somehow and tell parents just HOW their child is on orange or green or purple at the end of the day (if they ask, of course, which some have). My system is by giving participation points. When kids raise their hands or I call on them and they answer with effort (whether right or wrong...but has to be with effort...not a "bs" answer<--sorry, can't think of a better term, haha) they get 1 tally. 3 tallies by the end of the day and they get to move up a color. 6 tallies=up 2 colors. So if they move down to yellow or red during the day, there is always a possiblity they get to move back to orange.

I let them know when I get a chance during the day if they already have ___ # of tallies. Lots of times I announce who is on green or purple so far RIGHT as they come to the rug. I always give opportunities for them to make connections, ask ?'s and just answer ?'s, read aloud from the big book...I even tally when I have them pair-share and they really do it. It might seem time-consuming but it becomes 2nd nature and trust that the kids will remind you if you don't have the clipboard in your hand when you start getting them talking/discussion circles.

The tallies is GREAT for behavior management because ALL my kids are engaged during mini-lessons and discussion because they want to get those tallies. Kids who mess up at the beginning don't hold a grudge all day because as soon as they sulk for getting their stick moved down, I remind them "we still have 3 more hours of school....you can move back up if you earn your tallies." In order to get tallies you have to raise your hand, be quiet, not interrupt teacher or peers, specials teachers also make a quick note on my clipboard of which of my students need to move up/down... Sometimes I do see something really impressive and tell a kid to move up.

My students are always TRYING and THINKING when I'm teaching because they want to move up to purple. Oh yeah, purple equates to 3 stamps on their stamp chart, green=2 stamps, and orange=1 stamp. The stamp chart has 20 squares. Filling it up=a visit to the Treasure Box. So purple everyday could get you Treasure Box after 7 days.

MAN THIS WAS LONG!!! I had to make up for my absence :blush:

28. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Nov 14, 2010

Ok.. looking at your photos I know for sure what district you teach for :) Because I do as well. I thought from a previous post that we worked for the same district, when you mentioned the "green and purple" as part of the behavior system! Hope this year is going well for you!