Pictures of your word walls?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jlj, Aug 10, 2008.

1. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 10, 2008

You add words as introduced, do you then leave the words up all year? What words do you add, ie children's names, sight words (or do you have a separate place for those), theme/seasonal words, etc.? Do you have pictures for every word? How much wall or bulletin board space do you use? :unsure: :thanks:

3. devama

devama Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I'm struggling with this too. I THINK what I'm going to do is have a word wall with names in the beginning (with pictures), then sight words as they are added, then other words as we learn them.

My mentor suggested having a separate place for the sight words to be alphabetized so I have a sheet with them on, laminated, that the kids can get as needed and use right at their seats.

I also have another area where our sight words will be posted as introduced, but mixed up (they are magnetic) for games, sorts, etc.

4. mcjklj

mcjklj Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

I just put mine word wall up. I have a large bulletin board that I divided into 26 spaces with school yarn and put an upper- and lowercase letter in each. First we will add names and then sight words.

I think I might put up a large pocket chart under the word wall to use as a seasonal or thematic word wall.

I don't think I'm going to use pictures...well, maybe on the thematic/seasonal one.

(I'll take a pic and send it tomorrow. :) )

5. minnie

minnie Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I have my word wall up also. My theme this year is a garden theme so on the top, I put "See How our Word Wall Grows" and I stapled bees, flowers, butterflies, and water can dicuts in rows on the board and on the shapes, I also put the 26 letters of the alphabet. I also put "th", "qu" and "sh" on a separate dicut to put words under that start with those letters. At the beginning of year, all I have on there are the students' names so the have a sense of ownership over it. Then, as they are introduced, I put up color words, number words, sight words, and simple CVC words that they can read.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

I do my word wall differently. I do not have it alphabetized and only keep about 10-20 words up at one time. I don't post my sight words on the word wall, but use it more for vocabulary and I do have a picture for each word so they can find a word if they want to use it in their writing.

Mine doesn't take up much space, and I do change out the words as we move through new material. I keep the old words in a box when I remove them so they can still refer to them again for their writing. In my experience if you have too many words up at one time, the word wall isn't really used througout the day by the kids, it's just too many words for them to sift through.

7. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

"we will work hard as a team to learn, have fun, and make friends." or somthing simple like that

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2008

In our first grade classroom it is based on our spelling words. In Kinder they do the sight word list and their names.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

lol sorry my post was not meant for this...

10. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Aug 11, 2008

The kids add their names the firs time they have reading group, and then I add sight words and other CVC words as we learn them. None of them have pictures with them...Each letter has a picture though. I use the chalkboard in my room as the word wall...it's pretty large, but we use it all the time for writing. I also have sight words posted in other places... :)

11. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I have a "this week's" word-wall, as well as another space where we move words as the kids become very familiar with them...basically a review wall for follow-up....once the kids have totally mastered words, they will go in my spelling bee jar, for well... spelling bees :0)

12. kinderkidz

kinderkidz Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

I have my word wall up on my cabinets. There are twelve so I put 2 upper and lowercase letters on each door (one with two extra of course) We start with their names then add words as we learn them. I also made a mini word wall using a science display board and sight word post-its I found at Wal-mart. We use it to play word wall games during circle time. This year I am also making writing folders with the k sight words, phonics chart, writing letters, checklist for good writing, and an area to write their own words to use at their seat.

13. MissB

MissB Companion

Aug 14, 2008

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of my word wall. I introduce a couple of words a week usually. I add their names first, then color words and then sight words. The words are on magnets, so the students can take them back to their seats if they need help while writing. I don't use pictures with the words.