Pictures of the Week Idea

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jul 28, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

Input on this idea I just had?

I was thinking of buying a cheap digital camera and assigning the job of classroom photographer. Then the student will be in charge of taking pictures of the things we do at school. On Thursday night I will take the camera home, make a slide show and every Friday we can have Pictures of the Week.

Obviously we would need rules about what pictures are appropriate, correct use of the camera, etc.

Outside of that, what do you think? I think the kids would have fun having ownership of what showed up on the slide show. Maybe at the end of the first 9 weeks if it goes well, I will teach them to make the slide shows and that can be another class job or a privilege earned somehow...

3. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 28, 2006

I think that would be neat. Then we asked by family members what did you do at school they will have those fresh pictures in their minds and be able to give a fresh recall. You will also have fresh pictures for bulletin boards.:D

4. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

You could also have a running slide show during open house and Parent Teacher conferences. If you or your school has a secure website, you could also post those pics weekly so that parents can see the events of the week. Parents love to see what their kids are doing. You know we don't always get all the details when the little ones get home every day.

5. brett158

brett158 Companion

Jul 28, 2006

That sounds really cute! I like the idea.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 28, 2006

It sounds wonderful. The kids would love it. Either Kodak or Polaroid actually has freebies for teachers who use their products in the classroom. I got info from them about a year or so ago. You might want to look into it.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2006

A teacher that I worked with had an idea that I'm going to copy this year. Every day, one student had the responsibility of taking one picture (and one picture only) of something happening in class that day. She printed it up 8-1/2 by 11 size using the school printer (not photo quality). The student then wrote a one sentence caption describing the picture. The pictures were posted up as a border around the room to form a timeline of the year.