PICTURES of my 2nd grade classroom!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by passionateacher, Aug 29, 2009.

1. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

3. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

Your classroom looks wonderful!

How does your classroom management board work?

4. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Very nice. Looks so new! Mine is so old.

5. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2009

I love how uncluttered everything is. It looks like you have a large space!

6. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

I have 3 rules and I've numbered them. If/when a student breaks rule #1 (follow directions) they have to put the matching color strip in their card pocket. Then they have to circle what they did wrong on a form. The form has a lot of specific choices so if they break that same rule again or a different rule, they circle the other things. At the end of the day, I initial the form and they take it home to be signed by a parent. There's a comment space if I need to elaborate on their behavior issue. When they return the form with signature the next morning, they can take the card out of their pocket and start fresh. If they get no cards in their pockets at the end of the day, I put a Super stamp on their stamp chart on their desk. If they were outstanding and really demonstrated all the rules to the max, they get a purple card in their pocket and 2 Super stamps. 20 Super stamps means they get to visit the Treasure Box.

The gumball machine has velcro dots on it. I have laminated velcro paper gumballs and everytime they get a class compliment from an adult in the hallway or if I think they're being "just way too incredible right now" I give them a gumball. When our gumball machine is filled, we'll vote on a class party.

Last year I just put smiley faces in a chart. Simpler but not as cute.

Right now, I'm trying to decide what to send home with the kids who don't put a card in their pocket at the end of the day. They get a stamp on their stamp chart but their parents don't receive any "hard" evidence. Should I also put a sticker on their hand? Or give them a paper chart to collect Super stamps for their parents to see? Not sure if I want to waste more paper or ink though.... But I think the parents might want to know if their kid had outstanding behavior...right?

7. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

That's because it was finished being built in August! I am loving going from a trailer to a real classroom...and a new one at that!

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 29, 2009

Looks great!

9. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

Ha! If only you knew, you wouldn't have said that to me for the last 3 years. I am excited about having a classroom and worked really hard at not "pack-rat"-ing. I also got rid of my DESK this year! That kidney table in the back is where I keep things I need nearby but my manuals and materials bins are on the shelves. I tried the M-F bins for lessons/materials but decided on Today/Tomorrow bins instead.

But I still have even more stuff to add before I'm done. I have to put up CURTAINS to hide the ugly clutter on my doorless-shelves. I have yellow plastic tablecloth from Dollar Tree that I'm going to splash a few stickers on and glue to the shelves...maybe even matching ones for the windows. I also need a rug for my book nook...

10. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Aug 29, 2009

Fantastic job! I love the book recommendations bulletin and that is a great rug!

11. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Aug 29, 2009

I love it! That rug is awesome! I'm jealous!

12. collegeteach12

collegeteach12 Rookie

Aug 30, 2009

Looks amazing!

and I think that if you explain the management process to parents at the beginning of the year then you don't really have to use any more paper to tell the parents that their child is good. I think as long as they understand no slip coming home is a good thing that is sufficient enough, and of course the child can brag about getting to the treasure box once they do!

13. passionateacher

passionateacher Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

CollegeTeach,
    Thanks for that good idea! I was fretting right about now, trying to figure out an "easy" way to manage a 2nd chart that basically had the same info on it as the one on their desks---for the good ones! It's just too much to think about. I am going to take your advice and just let the parents know that no green behavior slip means they had a great day!

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2009

It looks awesome!

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2009

Lovely! Love the rug too!