Picture on Resume'?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ms_chandler, Apr 19, 2008.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 19, 2008

I've heard that this is a good thing to do because they will be able to put a face with a name before they meet you or as they meet you. My sister was interviewing a few years ago at a Job Fair with hundreds of teachers, and she was advised to do this. Her colleague actually told her how once a resume' got switched up and they hired the wrong person. :eek:hmy:

I scanned my school picture from this year, and I'm trying to incorporate it in my resume' on the side of the header (name, address, phone number, email). But it's knocking my spacing all off.

Any ideas?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2008

I personally wouldn't put a picture on a resume, because many places are required be law to cut it out to make sure discrimination isn't a factor in hiring. But if you want to put one in and are using Word if you right click on it you should have an option for the picture to be in front of the text and if you choose that you should be able to move the picture around without it affecting the spacing.

4. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Apr 19, 2008

I say no picture. You don't want anyone to make judgements about your resume, based on your picture.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2008

You could do a business card with your photo, like a realtor has.

6. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 19, 2008

The paranoid nature in me, thinks it's can be a potential identity threat. Seems lately you hear alot about people images being used in a wrongful manner on website &the victims having to deal with the mess that follows. It's just unnecessary, imho.

7. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Apr 19, 2008

Many HR departments cut the picture off or black it out -- so they can't be accused of being improper in the hiring process. I wouldn't put my picture on the actual resume. I don't think it would help, and it could potentially "hurt." Some people make snap judgements based on looks. You might not get the chance to come in for a real interview if someone looks at it and think "She looks too ________ (young, old, fat, thin, pretty, ugly, tall, short, stern, clueless, etc.)

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2008

No picture.

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 20, 2008

I would no to the picture as well. As others have stated, HR would probably black it out or cut it out as to cover themselves from discrimination.

10. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Apr 20, 2008

Ditto

11. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Apr 20, 2008

No picture

12. Grace

Grace Companion

Apr 21, 2008

Yep- one more vote for no picture. If you have a good enough cover letter and resume and if you interview well, they'll remember you! Good luck :)

13. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Apr 21, 2008

No picture

14. roamer

roamer Companion

Apr 22, 2008

How odd...all the negative responses.

I'm filling out an application right now from a local city school system and they actually have a spot where they want you to attach a picture.

My "home" system where I am hoping to get a full-time position also suggests a picture.

Hmmm...

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2008

I don't think the responses are negative. We're just giving our opinion from experience.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2008

If they ask for one, give one by all means. Generallly though, don't attach one....not being negative, just offering advice based on experience on my district hiring committee.

17. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Apr 22, 2008

Hmmmm, I find it odd that they would ask for a picture. I would be curious as to what the justification is. In the private organizations I've been involved with in the past, we were very careful about even asking about things like kids, and age when we interviewed candidates. Liability was always in the forefront.