picture books labels?

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by Mrs_B, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I am moving down to 3rd from 4th. I have a large library modeled after Beth Newingham. I didn't have picture books last year but plan to add them this year. I am not sure about categories though. Can anyone tell me what they use? I have quite a few Berenstain Bears and Arthur so I can make labels for those. Clifford, Eric Carle, etc should I not bother bringing in because they are too young? I expect to have a few reading at first grade level so that would be Clifford, etc... I also have a bunch of Step Up Readers, etc. We use Accelerated Reader so I was wondering if I should do the obvious series like Arthur but then do a lot by reading level? I know the primary grades have tubs that say 1.0-1.5 etc. I'd love to hear/see what others do.
    Thanks!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

Picture books are so great- you can use them for many kinds of reading and writing workshop lessons, so I think your plan of adding some is a great idea...If you need some suggestions for great picture books, let us know.

I do think that some of the books you mentioned are 'too young' for 3rd graders- are the low kids who you are expecting to be reading at a first grade level getting some help in a resource room or with push-in support?? My second graders won't pick up Clifford unless they are taking it to read to a kindergarten buddy...they like Eric Carle, but I think mostly for the flaps, lights, bells and whistles in some of his books....It's a tough call, kids need to be reading at their own independent level but we all know how the whole 'image' thing kicks in if a kid has something in his/her hands that looks like a 'baby book'...

You said your school uses AP, so it seems the kids would be familiar with the numbering system for levels...We use F & P in my district (guided reading levels)...regardless, leveling at least part of your library is important so kids can find books they can read. It's recommended that you NOT level your entire library- nonfiction is better in 'topic' tubs and you could make some genre baskets and author study baskets with some of your fiction/picture books.

4. tgim

tgim Habitué

Aug 4, 2009

Topic tubs are great; I also do author study tubs, and seasonal tubs.

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Aug 5, 2009

I have topic tubs that are books that I have set asside for various units of study. My student library is leveled and color coded on the spine of each book with the different color dot stickers. I have a system in place for how to id them. They span a 1/2 year in each color category.