Picture Books for Middle School Math

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by Mrs. R., Oct 28, 2006.

1. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 28, 2006

One of my colleagues is doing a project with her math classes using the book "The Math Curse". I was helping her prepare her think-aloud demos and her rubrics, when she mentioned that she would do more of this type of thing if she could find picture books about math that were appropriate to use with middle schoolers. Any ideas out there?

3. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Oct 29, 2006

Sir Cumference is a whole series of picture books about knights, but all math based. Also there is a book called The Grapes of Math.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 29, 2006

There's a book called The Doorbell Rang by Pat Hutchins it's about someone who baked cookies, then more and more people keep coming over to the house, so they keep having to divide the cookies. I read this book to my class and gave them counters to use, so as we read, they figured out how to divide the cookies equally. Then I made a follow up sheet that I called THe DOorbell Rang Again, and made up virtually a new story, with different numbers for division problems for them to solve with counters. After this lesson they really got the idea of division (a conceptual understanding).

Math Curse by Jon Scieszka -- great picture book
    The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes -- short novel -- basic counting, but ...
    Smart -- poem by Shel Silverstein -- great for a money unit!!!! Really funny and you can't beat it!
    The Greedy Triangle by Marilyn Burns -- Geometric shapes
    Books by Greg Tang -- Math Riddles with colorful illustrations -- The Grapes of Math, Math for all Seasons, Math-erpieces, Math Potatoes -- are just a few off the top of my head
    Sir Cumference and the First Round Table -- and other Sir Cumference books by Cindy Neuschwander -- There are at least two others - neat picture book stories
    A Remainder of One by Elinor Pinczes -- division
    Measuring Penny by Loreen Leedy -- great picture book about different ways to measure
    Spaghetti and Meatballs for All by Marilyn Burns
    Amanda Bean's Amazing Dream by Cindy Neuschwander -- multiplication
    One Hundred Angry Ants by Elinor Pinczes -- division
    Pigs Go to Market -- and other pig books by Amy Axelrod -- several math concepts covered
    G is for Googol by David Schwartz -- math alphabet book
    How Much is a Million by David Schwartz
    On Beyond a Million by David Schwartz
    If You Made a Million by David Schwartz
    Millions to Measure by David Schwartz
    If You Hopped Like a Frog by David Schwartz -- comparisons
    The History of Counting -- can't remember the author
    From Zero to Ten: The Story of Numbers by Vivian French
    One Grain of Rice -- Demi -- exponential growth
    The King's Chessboard by David Birch -- exponential growth similar to the above book
    Grandfather Tang's Story by Ann Tompert -- Tangrams
    The Warlord's Puzzle by Virginia Pilegard -- Tangrams
    The Warlord's Beads by Virginia Pilegard -- the abacus
    Actual Size by Steve Jenkins
    Hottest, Coldest, Highest, Deepest by Steve Jenkins -- measurement of the extremes
    Polar Bear Math, Tiger Math, Chimp Math, Panda Math -- Books by Ann Nagda -- combines science and math and real life application
    Even Steven and Odd Todd by Kathryn Cristaldi ?sp
    Wild Fibonacci: Nature's Secret Code Revealed by Joy N. Hulme
    Stuart J. Murphy has a whole series of books called Math Start that explore many different math concepts
    Marvelous Math -- edited by Lee Bennett Hopkins is a collection of poems dealing with math -- included are Marvelous Math, Take a Number, To Build a House, Math Makes Me Feel Safe, One to Ten, Calculator, SOS, Fractions, Pythagoras, Hourglass, Time Passes and a few others.
    Get white boards and various colors of markers. Put a problem on the board, they work it, you say, "Hold", and they raise their boards in the air.

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 29, 2006

Wow! Thanks so much.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Oct 29, 2006

Go to your public library and check out books for free.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2006

Math Curse by Jon Scieszka

Math Curse by Jon Scieszka -- great picture book

I just wanted to say that I heard Jon Scieszka speak at the Columbia Teacher's College Conference Saturday and he is wonderful!!!! He talked about this book as well as his other book Science Verse!!!!! Both books would be great for middle school math and middle school science!!!! I wish my 2nd graders would understand the humor but I think that it would go right over their heads.:p