Picking curriculum for a subject I've never taught

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bkeberle, Aug 26, 2013.

1. bkeberle

bkeberle New Member

Aug 26, 2013

Hey all,

I'm starting out teaching English for the first time in my life.

I'm a special education teacher and I added English certification this year to help diversify my resume. However, I'm now teaching 2 Emotional Support English classes this year.

I have co-taught English, but beyond that, my student teaching experiment had very little to do with what I'm doing down.

My issue is that all the textbooks that came to me are very out dated and not very current in regards to standards alignment.

My assistant principal told me I could -probably- order new books, so I asked the other special education teachers who teach English what they recommend.

I heard good thing about Prentice Hall's Common Core aligned literature books...google Prentice Hall Literature Common Core Edition if you're unfamiliar, I can't post links :/

However, my issue is...one of my classes has 9th graders all the way through 12th graders. I'm also aware that being an emotional support classroom, I could very well have students who are on grade level or even above. I'm faced with finding one curriculum that I can adapt and modify as needed and somehow fit 4 different grade levels in 1 period. The book I'm looking at now is 9th grade, would it work to use a 9th grade text and give more difficult and advanced work as needed?

I'm not a huge fan of using textbooks a lot but when I'm inexperienced I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Thanks!

3. Ms.SLS

Ms.SLS Cohort

Aug 27, 2013

If you have mixed grades, I might shoot somewhere in the middle, rather than at the bottom. Maybe 10th grade? And then you can always vary assignments by level.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 27, 2013

I teach mixed grade level English, at least my students are 9-10 in 2 classes, and 11-12 in others, but I also taught where I had 9-12 graders in the same classes, 4 periods / day.
    I would also suggest something from a 10th grade textbook.
    I'm actually using the same textbook for all grades, but work on different objectives (common core) according to their grades. Actually they're not that different.
    I was trying to find stories that would be of more interest to them, but the 11th grade textbook's stories are either too political or too abstract for that, so for now I'm sticking to the 10th grade.

5. Furthuron

Furthuron Companion

Aug 28, 2013

There is also a lot of focus on listening and speaking in common core, so I'd imagine you could make assignments that go along with your curriculum and address those standards (as well as writing standards) and would be appropriate for all grade levels. Not sure how that works with Emotional Support kids, though, since I teach general ed. Good luck! English is a tough subject to teach, but it has a lot of very necessary skills.