Picking a new Advanced Algebra text???

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by atomic, May 28, 2010.

1. atomic

atomic Companion

May 28, 2010

I've been teaching for 11 years, and this is the first time that I've been asked to pick a new textbook.

The students entering the class are coming from low level Algebra 2 classes and some are coming from our middle level Algebra 2 class because they haven't done well.

The first book I was looking at is from Key Curriculum Press. In the first few pages it says that the book is designed for teaching three courses...

1. Core Algebra 2
    2. Algebra 2 with trig
    3. Algebra 2 with stats

Is the "Advanced Algebra" text supposed to be a replacement for a traditional Algebra 2 class?

It doesn't say what course the student using this book should have had before or what course they are expected to be going to next.

I think the book is not what i need to teach an Advanced Algebra class. It seems like it will just end up being a total repeat of Algebra 2.

Is that what Advanced Algebra is supposed to be?

Are the students supposed to be coming from Algebra 1? or Algebra 2?

This is much more confusing than I thought it would be.

3. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 28, 2010

The Core texts are contextual based and my favorites. They are full of word problems and emphasize real world applications.

I have no info on the other two so it's hard to comment. The Alg with Stats sounds interesting, but what does the "with stats" really mean?

What does you your state say the curriculum for this course should be?????

4. MathTeacher29

MathTeacher29 Rookie

May 28, 2010

In NC after Algebra 2 the students either go to Advanced Functions and Modeling or Precalcus. This is the book we use for Advanced Functions and Modeling: http://wps.prenhall.com/esm_blitzer_algtrig_2/
    You can click through and see the chapters. I think there may be a new edition out.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2010

6. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

May 29, 2010

That's not the way the Tennesse curriculum is set up.

We go to an Advanced Algebra & Trig class after Algebra II. They can then go straight to a 2 semester AP calculus while others can go to a 1 semester pre-calculus.

In coming years we will be adding a Capstone Math for students who aren't likely to go on to college. The State hasn't said what this post-Algebra II class will look like, but we're hoping it will be some sort of practical skills math class.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 29, 2010

My school does:
    Algebra I
    Geometry
    Algebra II & Trig
    Precalculus

The kids who come in advanced a year take Intro to Calc as Seniors.

Our slowest track kids break up the Algebra II/Trig into 2 courses-- one Jr. year, and the other Sr. year.

Keep in mind though, that as a private college prep school, we don't have to allign with the state standards. Ours can be a bit stricter-- ALL our kids take 4 years of college prep math.

8. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

May 29, 2010

Our order is
    Algebra I
    Geometry
    Algebra II
    Advanced Math (including Trig)
    Pre-Calculus or Calculus

Most of our students start in 8th grade so they actually attend high school for 5 years. The textbook we use is called "Advanced Math" and is from Glencoe. The 1st 3 quarters are spent covering Advanced Algebra topics and the 4th quarter is trig. This order is the only thing I really do not like about our curriculum because most of our seniors are in Advanced Math as a senior and I need basic right triangle trig throughout the entire physics course so I teach it in the beginning of physics.

9. atomic

atomic Companion

Jun 16, 2010

Very interesting to see the course progression from other states.

I am using all this info to try and get the best order for our students. We have a very unique mix of students at our HS.

We are in the "country" of NJ, but have all the people trying to escape the gangs and troubles of the cities. The kids end up bringing all the trouble with them though. So I end up with gang members in Advanced Algebra.