Picking a Dog

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by JenPooh, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Oct 21, 2005

Labs don't drool...except if they smell something really yummy. My big guy likes bacon!

2. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

I wont get anything that drools...yuck! I couldn't stand it. I didn't even like it when my own son drooled while he was teething, much less a dog that's licks his own behind :eek: .

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

4. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2005

He is adorable. I love all dogs!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 21, 2005

Cute!

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

I love any and all dogs as well. I was never a little dog person, but had to be because of my allergies.........now, I just love any of them!

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

OH, HE IS CUTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesn't look too big either! How adorable. I think I may go to the shelter this weekend...just to look though;). I think my son would get a kick out of it. He loves animals!

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

You know what happens when you go just to look. You come home with a dog!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

What shelter is near you. Know I want to look.

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

Waukesha Humane Animal Welfare Society

We also live near Milwaukee County

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2005

Jen, don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You will come home with something, you are too much of a softie!!!!!!!! Hey, that is the whole idea, isn't it? Plus, get your little boy in on it too!! :) I like how you think!!!

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 21, 2005

I went to the shelter with my mom several years ago. She was looking for a small dog for her and my dad to keep inside the house. We had just walked in when they came out and said we would need to come back in about 30 minutes. (The vet had just gotten there for the 3 day "losers"). I remeber looking at this beautiful sheppard/heeler mix that was leaning tiredly against the wall. When we came back he was gone. I cried like a baby and have never gone back. That's my dream of winning a million dollars, buying an old farm house, and then going to pound and adopting EVERYTHING there.

13. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 21, 2005

Bernese are big, but they don't drool.

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2005

We didn't go. I haven't had time. BUT...there's always next weekend:)! Maybe they are open tomorrow...

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 22, 2005

The saddest thing for me was when I had to move to a condo and my beloved 7 year old springer spaniel was too large to come with me. That dog loved me like nothing else in the world. The only solace was that the previous owners (who had bred her and still had her mother and brother) generously agreed to take her. She still knew them, even recognized their car, etc. But it broke my heart. On the downside was the fact that a springer spaniel was not made for Florida weather. The heavy ears seemed always to be wet and gave her chronic ear infections (which stunk). She had jowls and drooled.

So, I moved without her, having lost my husband to cancer, my 15 year old daughter had run away in grief 6 months earlier, and my loving dog gone, too. A year later, daughter returned, we went to the pound to find a small dog that would be under the weight limit for the condo association. We found a winner. A one year old part shepherd, part terrier. Kind, beautiful, loving, smart. But close to the weight limit. We loved her for 14 months before the condo commandos decided she had gotten too big and sent the lawyer after us. She had to go. My heart was ripped apart again. However, my son's girlfriend, who loved Sasha, took her and there she lives. Me? I am just plain wrung out and will stick with my cats for a while.

Dogs are faithful and true and can teach us a lot about love.

16. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 22, 2005

I think I'm crazy. LOL I know want a dog from the Milwaukee shelter. Chocolate lab seven months old. LOL

Anyway I liked the No Kill shelter it's called Happy Endings but they didn't show pictures of their pets. The Waukesha Humane Society has acute one named Crash it's a sheltie mix, no information. I hate it when they don't have information on it.

17. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 22, 2005

Diasy how horrible. Lots of glows to you. I am glad your dogs did not have to return to shelter life.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 22, 2005

Yes, JaimeMarie, that is the only consolation. I have heard stories about my friends taking the springer to North Carolina and letting her chase critters around the acreage and it makes me feel sooo good. But I could never go see her again. No way.

19. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Oct 22, 2005

Oh, Daisy, springers can be wonderful family members. Ours also had horrible ear issues, and this was when we lived in northern Michigan. Unfortunately ours could not adjust to our first child joining the family, so she (the dog, not the baby!) had to leave. I feel for you.

20. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2005

My brother has always had springers. they are beautiful dogs. He hunts and they were not only loyal companions, but great hunters as well. Daisy, I'm so sorry to hear the heartache you've had to go through!! More then most of us, I'm sure. And I agree, dogs are loyal, loving creatures.......I think they were angels before they came to earth!! :)

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 23, 2005

If STeve and I ever buy a house we want to get a puppy. Mya is 7 yrs old now and we want her to train the pup. Hopefully we are able to buy something in the next year or two. We gave up on rentals. Most places won't allow dog, or say no pets at all. We have three cats and a dog.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2005

Boston Terriers Are Great!

Not to brag, but I know all about the whole "getting a dog" process. I had a couple cats a few yrs back & hadn't had a dog since I was a child. The time finally came when I could get a dog, so I started doing research. Things like this takes time. I knew I was going to get a puppy from a breeder. Rescues are the next best places if you don't want to pay the big bucks. I'm sure you've been told not to buy from pet stores or newspaper ads because those dogs usually come from puppy mills, which is another whole story. Not to offend anyone who's gotten a dog from pets stores or ads, but it's generally not a good idea.

To mk a long story short, in Sept/Oct 2004, I started doing tons of research on the Boston Terrier breed (also considered French Bulldogs). I went to dog shows & tracked down the breeders & dog handlers, read website info, got magazines, etc., etc. If you don't do anything else, if you want to get from a breeder, contact the breeder referral person on the website of the breed's Club of America website. I contacted numerous breeders, got myself on waiting lists so when they had a litter, I'm contacted. I happened to be #1 on this one lady's list & finally got my puppy in May 2005. She not only breeds, but puts her dogs in shows & is the vice president of one of the boston terrier clubs, which I have joined. By the way, she asked $1400 for the puppy, I got her to go down $100, so I paid $1300.

Main thing is to be patient if you want quality. Overall, it's a fun process! My aunt wants a dog now, probably a Bichon Frise & I'm helping her get one!

23. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

Great advice Behsci. I give the same advice. I worked at an animals shelter for couple years. I have been researching malamute, boxers and labs for the last four years. I still haven't found a breeder I'm totally comfortable with yet. LOL.
    Maybe in the next couple yrs I'll find one. I want within driving distance to were we live that raises the dogs in their home not in a kennel, has children and cats.
    And would love if they showed their dogs.

24. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

Kinder is that your furbaby? What does he have on him?

25. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 29, 2005

Is he a hot dog?

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

LOL!!! Yes, he is a hotdog. It is a bun and mustard on his back. Christy thought it was a slipper and cobs of corn.......too funny!!! I have a huge picture of it and you can really tell, when I cropped it down for the avatar, it made it hard to see what it was. It is my nieces dog.......but he loves me just as much!! (or so I think :) )

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

I THOUGHT IT WAS A SLIPPER TOO!!! He he! That is too funny. Where did you get that costume?

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

my sister sewed it for him!! if you could see it close up, you could see the sesame seeds and details on the bun!! how funny, I bet lots of people must think it is a slipper!!

29. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

Actually I thought it was a bun. But then thought I was crazy and that it must be a slipper. SO then I figured I would just ask you what it was lol.

30. Syele

Syele Companion

Oct 29, 2005

31. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

Too funny!!!! Glad I could clear that up for everyone!!! :p

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 29, 2005

LOL! Ah, the mysteries of life! :D I just bought my niece another set of "food" for her play kitchen and it included ears of corn, I guess that's why those were on my mind, Chey tends to pile her food on the dog, her sister, anyone who will sit still the longest! It is an adorable costume!

33. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

Our first dog was a Springer Spaniel. My husband drove a long ways to bring her back as a pup. She was a liver colored one and when I held her for the first time, I couldn't believe how wonderful she was. She had the longest eyelashes ever and a big fat belly!!! She was the best dog I have ever seen or had or even thought of. She protected me and the kids and followed every command we ever gave her...with no training whatsoever. She did have the ear issues and that was difficult....but I cannot tell you how much I loved my little "Sugar." She came with papers, but the family we got her from didn't allow their dog to have litter after litter...and they were all house dogs...sitting on the furniture and on their owners laps! She was a treasure.

34. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 29, 2005

kinderkids - I knew what he was right away! This week I subbed at a school here in town that has just kindergarten classes. They had am/pm assemblies for the RIF program. First, the librarian read the book Hallow Weiner and then out came a real "weiner dog" with that exact same outfit. Each of the kindergarteners got a turn to pet the dog. It was just wild!

35. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2005

I Love the book HALLOW WEINER!!! How cute to use a weiner dog as well, I bet the kids just adored that!!!!!

36. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 30, 2005

The children were all excited about petting the dog! I was just amazed that he tolerated all of those children so well!!