Picketing at LAUSD

Discussion in 'General Education' started by teresaglass, Jun 6, 2008.

1. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 6, 2008

Hi,
    Can anyone in LAUSD describe how picketing went at their school today.? I am trying to start a new thread on this. Our teachers came back to their jobs after an hour. I am an aide so I was watching kids in the library. We also had stduents out in the PE area and in the Auditorium. I wore my union shirt to show my support of the walkout but I would have been subject to disciplinary action if I had joined the walkout. Some parents were walking with the teachers.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 6, 2008

Why would you have been subject to disciplinary action? Are aides eligible to be union members out there?

4. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 6, 2008

We have our own union. We had to go to our jobs because our union was not picketing with the teachers.

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 6, 2008

I know uclalum was talking about picketing. I hope she will join in and share.

6. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jun 6, 2008

We walked out, in fact I hear that we were on the news. I have yet to find a newsclip. We had three helicopters hovering over us. I mostly was watching the donut, coffee, and juice station. Because I was told to do so. Some parents came and helped and then I went to walkout with my colleagues. Has anyone seen any newsclips of the teacher walkouts that occurred this morning?

Our walkout was great! We had a lot of parent support and people that passed by were honking.

7. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jun 6, 2008

The teachers said the walkout was good at our school too. Some of the students were wearing UTLA pins. We also discussed it in class with the kids. Our aide union is going to Sacremento to lobby legislators about the budget cuts. I will not be able to go. We did write some our local assemblymen and state senators. Please keep the posts coming on this.

8. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Jun 7, 2008

Our walkout was sort of pathetic. The teachers at my school agreed to do the walkout AFTER school, at 2:40 (which defeats the purpose, in my opinion), because they didn't want to leave their classrooms and students. So after school we walked out and stood on the sidewalk with some posters and gave out flyers to parents that were picking up their kids. It looked pretty sad. :-( There were no helicopters, no media.

I am a probationary teacher and a district intern, so I was a little bit nervous to participate, because I am a new teacher and the district is paying for my credential program! At this point, I can't really demand anything.

9. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jun 7, 2008

I agree that at 2:40 it defeats the purpose...

We had our Principal supporting us. Because we did this together, "all" of us united I wasn't scared at all. I'm probationary as well, but our Principal told us to go out and that they would figure out a way to watch out kids for an hour. She kept coming out to the front to tease me "Saying.... I see you...." and pretending to write something down, she was kidding around of course.

Our school is next to the freeway, so a large majority of teachers were holding up the signs for the traffic below to see them and we caused the traffic below in the freeway and in the neighboring streets to slow down. They were all honking to show their support. Since I was in charge of the refreshment stand I was sending over parents who were coming up to me to get some free coffee. So, even before I started sending them over we had a lot of parent support. As they were coming towards me I was sending them over as well. Some of them pushing baby strollers holding up signs... supporting us. It was great.

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 7, 2008

The picketing went very well for us. We had 100% participation. My school is located across the street from a middle school so there were hundreds of us out there. Parents showed their support by picketing with us. The music teacher let us borrow her instruments so we were making lots of noise. Oh, and the teachers from the middle school had blow horns and big drums. People driving by showed support by honking.

I had 9 kids absent and 4 kids show up an hour late.

The union president (Duffy) sent us all a message that evening saying that over 40,000 union members participated.:woot:

What did you guys think of Arnold's response?
    Personally, I'm glad that he called attention to the fact that millions of dollars is being wasted (outside of the classroom) down at the district offices.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2008

uclalum-What was his response?

12. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 7, 2008

He said that he supports the teachers. He blamed it on the legislators.

Then he said that LAUSD is in this mess because the mismanage money. He noted that millions of dollars is being wasted each year on district officials that make 6 figures.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2008

Good for him!!

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 7, 2008

Yep!

I think our superintendent knew that Arnold was going to bring that up and that is why the district has been opposed to our picketing from day 1.

Great way to show support of the teachers:down:, Superintendent Brewer!

15. mudpie1598

mudpie1598 Companion

Jun 7, 2008

Wow, sounds like you had a successful day! I love the fact that you guys had instrument, now why didn't we think of that? I love it that the parents joined us as well and people honked to show their support.

What was Arnold's response?

16. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jun 7, 2008

I'm glad to hear that it went well for you guys...especially you, uclalum. I know you were really nervous about it. I hope this starts the begining of some REAL discussion and change.

18. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jun 10, 2008