physics

Discussion in 'High School' started by NewTeacher2016, Nov 25, 2016.

1. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Nov 25, 2016

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 25, 2016

You'll be in high demand if you are certified in physics or even willing to teach it. The biology market is saturated in most states. I am certified to teach general science and biology in my home state but I've been very interested in expanding my credential to chemistry and physics which I've come to love over the years. However I'm planning on leaving teaching next year to pursue an electrical engineering degree, so it's not at the top of my list (apart from my interest in doing it so I can sub for those subjects).

I originally got into this job thinking I would be teaching high school biology. Due to the lack of jobs I fell into teaching middle school physical science and LOVED it so much that now I want to get a degree in it. I had never really been interested in that field of science because I had always viewed it as too difficult and beyond my grasp. I also had a lot of learning gaps in my education regarding physics and chemistry because we moved around a bit and switched between public and private schools (who did not teach those subjects well or at all). Teaching 8th graders how to reach and simply understand this content in fun and engaging ways has opened that field up for me mentally.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2016
  4. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Nov 25, 2016

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 25, 2016

If you don't want to teach biology, you probably won't be made to. There are so many teachers vying for biology positions that they'll probably be glad to get someone who isn't demanding to teach biology.

However you will probably be asked to teach some sort of freshman physical science course. It's very hard for them to hire someone who is purely physics. Often physics teachers are hired as physics/math, physics/physical science, or physics/chemistry teachers.

Check out your local universities too. There was a program at UC Berkeley (that caused me UNTOLD problems, don't ask) that offered summer classes to teachers for free (which if you know Berkeley summer classes are PRICEY! -- Just don't ever sign up for it and not commit, because you'll run into all of the issues I had). If you just need lower division credits, check out a community college. They often have cheap night classes. I took a physics night class at my community college, and it was really fun, though it was non-calculus based (for health majors) so it didn't count for much.

6. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Nov 25, 2016

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 25, 2016

Are you teaching it at the high school level? I've taught it in 8th grade which was fine, but I'm having to teach it for the first time at the High School level this year, and it's a bit weird for me, as it's a new course and everyone has different ideas on how it's supposed to be run. Do you mind if I PM you?

8. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Nov 25, 2016

9. kajalsengupta

kajalsengupta Rookie

Dec 23, 2016

Yes I teach physics and certified to do so, though in a different country.Initially, I started teaching at higher classes so teaching only one subject was fine. Later I shifted to another school where they insisted that I teach another subject too. Choice was between Chemistry and maths. Since I do not like Chemistry and had not opted it for my graduation ( I took Physics , Maths and Statistics) so Maths was the only choice left. I found that teaching Physics along with Maths becomes very strenuous because Maths itself is a major subject and involves lots of correction. Looking back I feel if I had taught Chemistry with Physics it would have been wiser.

10. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 6, 2017

I am certified although I've never taught it. We have several people that are qualified to teach it but few would be good. It is easy to become general science certified without knowing much physics at all. I'd say of the 18 of us that are certified to teach it, only four of us would do it well.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 6, 2017

18 teachers in the science department? Wow! You must have a large school.

12. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 9, 2017

Your concern is exactly the opposite of what's encountered in my area; i.e., "I am certified in science but I don't want to teach physics!" My area is flush with biology teachers and physics is quite in demand. I got a composite science certification and my first job was teaching physics. While it wasn't terrible, I jumped at the first chance to transfer and teach chemistry and dual credit courses. If my area is any indication, schools will beg you to come teach physics. The idea around here is "not another biology teacher!"