Physics endorsement??

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by cby1224, Jan 17, 2014.

1. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jan 17, 2014

I am considering attempting the physics praxis to add to my Biology and Chemistry endorsements (7-12) but I am also unsure if I really want to spend the time/money when the bio/chem endorsements should be more than enough for me find employment in the areas I am interested in. I have been given the advice of "the more endorsement the better, especially in high demand areas" and on the flip side "you are already endorsed in a high demand area, stick with what you have". I know I can only decide for myself, but I would love to hear what others have to say. Any pros/cons??

3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jan 17, 2014

Would you be happy teaching Physics? Biology is not high need in my area. Chemistry is, but there are not openings at every school every year. If your priority is what content you teach, then only get credentialed in those subjects. If your priority is which school you end up at, get credentialed in any content areas you are willing to teach.

I opted for as many areas as I thought I would enjoy teaching, all math, bio and physics, but the market was tough in California and I was an older (50+) new teacher.

4. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jan 17, 2014

Yes within reason, I think I would. It just isn't my preferred subject as I have been working professionally in the biology field for 10 years now. On the list of preferences, Bio and Chem are interchangeable and Physics is next.
    I know at the end of this school year there is at least one job that will be open in Chem and a good probability of a second in the same area but different school. I should clarify that I would be taking the praxis in June so it will more than likely not help in getting a job at the beginning of next school year. For me this endorsement would be my ace in the hole, so to speak. In my state Physics is not a tested subject and there are very few people who have the endorsement. Most of the areas I am willing to teach do not have a teacher with the endorsement. Most, who offer physics, are teaching on a alternate license.
    I know I am probably over thinking this, but I also know that if I don't want to teach physics, I should not add the endorsement. There are older teachers who have told me that as it is, unless someone comes along with a Chem endorsement, I will always be in the Chemistry classroom regardless of the other endorsements I may or may not have. The exception to this would of course be physics.