Physical Traits That Embarass You...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mom2sands, May 7, 2008.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

May 7, 2008

This is kind of a personal question, but does anyone have a physical trait or traits that embarass you?

Does it affect your self esteem? How?

I'll begin. I'm overweight. It bothers me, but physically I am healthy and I have no mobility problems. I have gotten over the thought that people size me up.

Most recently, I was diagnosed with a skin disease that is very rare. I've had it for about 1 1/2 years now. It's under control currently, but I have scars in various stages of fading. It is called pemphigus vulgaris and causes blisters to form at the upper layer of the skin. It is an autoimmune disease and only occurs in about 1 in a million peoplem, so I guess that makes me special. :D Not. Most blisters are about the size of a pencil eraser, but I've had some that were as large as quarters and fifty cent pieces on my back. My ears blister on the inside and behind them. I've had facial spots. It's odd, but my face really doesn't blister. The skin peels off in small spots. My scalp is in a constant stage of peeling. I am on Prednisone which causes me to be puffy in the face, which I hate (sometimes more than the blistering itself). My doctor prescribed another medication, but it made me sick after taking it for a month. I am supposed to try another med next month and hopefully it will work so that I can finally get off the Prednisone.

Enough about my condition, but I always feel when I have short sleeves that I'm being stared at. I'll occasionally have a student who asks what is that on your arm, especially if I have a scab. The scab gets thick as it heals. My skin is also susceptible to tearing if I bump or knock it. I can't cover up my arms all the time because it's just too hot. I've actually had a couple of children who have touched my scab. When I had a facial breakout several weeks ago, a child asked me if I had chicken pox. The innocence of children never ceases to amaze me. I've used Mederma and cocoa butter. but I can't see where they've helped.

When applying for job positions, I've worn long sleeves. I don't want people to wonder what's up with my skin. It looks as if I just pick at sores on my arms and have scars from it. Once I get to know people, I tell them about my condition because I know that they wonder, but hate to ask.

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

May 7, 2008

I'm sorry you are having a rough time with that disease. Unfortunately, we live in a world where we are judged by what is on the outside of our bodies.
    I hope that you continue to improve, and you can maintain control of your condition.
    I get judged on how I look sometimes. I am a little bit bigger than my boyfriend...so it makes me feel weird to walk around with him. He is freakishly thin (but fit)...and has a hard time gaining weight. I have a hard time taking it off. I am wondering if it has something to do with my bc.
    My mom is 5'1...and around 95 pounds. She has a small frame, and is very healthy...
    When she complains about gaining a pound or 2...it makes me feel bad. She doesn't do it on purpose...but it makes me uncomfortable.
    My stupid grandfather's girlfriend told me once that my butt was getting too big! She is about 2x the size of me...I wanted to throw her down the stairs...OMG I HATE HER!
    Anyway...we all have our insecurities...
    Last night I went with bf to Hooter's...haha. Yeah...that was fun. It was ok though...cause he didn't make me feel like I was any less pretty than the girls there. We laughed a lot...
    I hope you have someone in your life...boyfriend/husband...or a good friend that helps you laugh...it makes you feel so good.

-hugs-

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 7, 2008

I'm sorry about your disease. Hopefully the mediciation can keep it under control.

I hate my nose! I think it sticks out on my face too much. And when I look down, I can see it...It stinks!

I also have a little extra weight that I want to take off, but who doesn't have that?

5. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

May 7, 2008

Mine is my weight too. I feel very self consious about it a lot of the time (especially since I tried on my spring skirts this morning and they are now WAY too small). I just TRY and remind myself that we all have our flaws and I'm perfect in every other way (HA not to sound high and mighty!)

6. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 7, 2008

Once, my auntie and I were joking around about what we'd "fix" on our bodies.
    I said I wished I could make my chin smaller (It's soooo pointy!! I hate it). My auntie turned to her son and asked, "what would you fix?" *meaning on himself, of course*

And he replied, "Her nose!"

So now I have to try not to obsess about my nose! ;)

7. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

May 7, 2008

I've also gotten comments from strangers about the size of my rear end. But my boyfriend likes it, so I guess that's a plus!

And students have told me my hair scares them. (very curly and frizzy).

And my mom has mentioned that I look like the "before" girl in movies (you know, like Princess Diaries and Big Fat Greek Wedding, when they have frizzy hair and glasses?)

8. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 7, 2008

I have always been very self conscious of my back side. It has always just seemed so disproportionately big compared to the rest of me! Others tell me it's perfectly fine and not to worry so much , but how do you do that? I have also put on weight and it all goes to my butt and my gut. Finding pants that fit is a nightmare.

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

May 7, 2008

mom2sands, I'm glad your condition is under control. I completely understand where you're coming from.

I've always been self-conscious about my thighs and hips. I don't like my thighs because of some of the excessive skin from my 85 pound weight loss. It's not fun being 23 and having icky thighs.

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 7, 2008

I guess I am short and overly plump. I think I have rosasia because my cheeks are rather red especially after a shower and it makes it hard to put make up on.

when i was a kid I was more double jointed and i could freak people out when i would bend my fingers backwards.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 7, 2008

My chest is definitely the area that bothers me the most. (I was wearing a bra- not a training one, but a real bra in 3rd grade.) I am in a triple D and SHORT so I'm all chest. Nothing ever fits right (clothes, life jackets, etc) and hugs can be awkward at times!

12. SchoolRocks

SchoolRocks Companion

May 7, 2008

Mom2sands I feel ya girl :hugs: As a young adult I had nice smooth skin. However since I have left my younger days I now have this skin condition as well. It has gotten worse over the past couple years. It is on my arms and it is small reddish dots. I have a cream but it does not help :( I also hate wearing short sleeves, and this is from a girl who lived in tanks. I also have put on the pounds every year, which is also hard. As a teen I ate everything under the sun and did not gain. But those bad habits caught up quick after my daughter was born! I guess it is just age- all these "things"! I am sitting here with a bad back tonight:eek:

13. Poisontipped

Poisontipped Rookie

May 7, 2008

Well, it doesn't embarrass me, but I dislike my eyes. They are quite small without my specs and even though I'm 19, I have some smallish bags starting to form under my eyes.

Anyway, when I become a teacher and earn some money, Viva la Botox!

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 7, 2008

I have the very oppositive problem. Bleh! I also hate my nose. It's such a European nose. But I've come to accept my body and it faults. I try to focus on the parts that I do like.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

May 7, 2008

I'm currently on Accutane because I've developed acne on my back. It's actually an infection of some sort. I've tried all kinds of medicines and creams for the past 2+ years. It has scarred my back horribly. The doctor has suggested laser surgery on it once we get it under control. This medicine has serious side effects, some of which I am experiencing but it was starting to spread to my face and I didn't want it to look strange like my back does. Last year I had a horrible time finding a bathing suit that didn't show my back. I ended up just wearing a t-shirt every time I got in the pool. This summer the Accutane won't even let me entertain being out in the sun. A lot of those meds I tried for the past 2 years made me horribly sick. I know how you feel. I picked at my skin too. I was lucky it was mostly in an area that people don't see.

16. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

May 7, 2008

I am no longer embarassed by my medium sized butt for a black woman (as they say). I now embrace it because my genes made me this way. In fact I am very proud of it and wear more pants to highlight it.

17. AZSpedtchr

AZSpedtchr Rookie

May 7, 2008

I have spider veins on my legs that started when I was about 28 yrs old. I HATE them, and I never wear shorts, even when it's 105F here in Arizona!
    I went to a dermatologist last year to see about having them removed by laser or injection, but was told that it could cause all kinds of other problems and that I should wait until after I have kids, since pregnancy will likely make them much worse:down:

18. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

May 8, 2008

Back fat and bra rolls! I can suck in my tummy but haven't figured out a way to suck in my back :)

19. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 8, 2008

I just wish I still could suck in the tummy. Yuck.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 8, 2008

I was pretty happy with myself until I had to take large doses of prednisone. Suddenly I went from in-shape, although at the top of the weight chart for my height to out-of-shape and 80 pounds heavier. And, if that wasn't enough, I managed to lose 45 pounds of that only to have my breasts "deflate" . . . so now I remind myself of one of those tribal women with their boobs down to their waistlines. Then I managed to grow hair on my face and arms, but lose it on my head.

However, I look presentable with my "store bought" hair, and I tweeze, wax, and bleach the other. Oh, and my bras are the most important part of my wardrobe. I just try to do the best I can with what I've got.

21. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

May 8, 2008

moms2sands,
    I am like you with the skin issues. I choose to wear longs sleeves/pants all year out in public. Only my true friends know about it. It is one of a few things I could change!! :)
    I would also love to change my weight. With being on steriods, it doesn't help on the gaining part!! :)

22. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 8, 2008

In the summer I HATEEEEEE my curly hair. It gets frizzy when it's too humid outside. In the winter I don't mind it so much though. Keeps my ears warm haha. Everyone seems to covet my hair and I don't know why.:confused:

23. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

May 8, 2008

I actually CRIED in Target just now. I tried on pants that I thought would be way to big in size and they were skin tight. I have literally gone up almost 4 sizes in less then two years. I guess it is safe to say that I am embarrassed by this rapid weight gain and it is what I hate the most!

24. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

May 8, 2008

I am overly round - always have been, and I hate it. The other thing that I don't like is the big gap between my front teeth. I had braces for several years as a young teen, but stopped wearing my retainer before I should have, and now you can't tell I ever had braces. I've also got an overbite again, but it doesn't bother me like the gap does. I'd give anything to be able to go back in time and keep that retainer in!

25. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2008

Everyone in my family has a pot belly of varying size. My dad's suits him because he looks just like Santa, but it isn't that great on me. Between that and arms that wiggle like your favorite Jello, it's a constant reminder that I need to get back to the gym!

26. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

May 9, 2008

I feel your pain. I have been there as well. I hit a certain age and my metabolism came to a screeching halt. I was buying new slacks and shorts every season because the previous season's purchases no longer fit!

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 9, 2008

I always joke around that my boobs walk into a room 2 minutes before I do...but in reality, I'm very self concious of it. They did shrink three cup sizes after nursing my babies, so now I'm "only" a DD, but I still feel wierd. I also obsess about my weight. After my last baby was born I ballooned to almost 300lbs. I'm now down to 190 and wear a size 12 (I'm tall and I have a bone calcium issue..they don't know how to stop leeching it out of my bloodstream so my bones are VERY dense and thus quite heavy), but I still see that 300lb woman staring back at me in the mirror.

28. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

Ditto about the opposite problem. I am the president of the IBTC! :rolleyes: They even shrunk more after having kids, which I didn't think was possible.

Christy, I'll happily do a boobie transfer with you if ever there is a time where they can take a little from someone and put it in someone else. :lol:

Mine is my teeth. I have always had horribly crooked teeth and it's always bothered me. Growing up my parents never had money for braces, and currently we don't have the money now. I hate smiling for pictures and always will unless I can get my teeth straightened out. My teeth bother me so much that I am more self concious about them than the scar on my face from a dog bite when I was 11.

29. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 9, 2008

I would GLADLY donate to anyone who wanted some. I have always been jealous of women who can wear the cute little tanks with the built in bras, or go braless. I blame it on my aunt. She had one of those boob exercise things that I used to play with.

30. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

See, now I think the opposite! :haha: EVERYONE in my family is big chested...except for me. I got jipped.:rolleyes:

31. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 9, 2008

I tried on a dress in Target once, it was easy to put on but I was literally stuck in it when I went to pull it off. I could not pull it off over my head. It took me about 10 minutes to get it off :blush:.

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 9, 2008

I second this opinion...anybody want a donation?????

33. smalltowngal

May 9, 2008

ME ME ME!!! :d

34. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

I called it first!!! :p:p:p:haha:

35. smalltowngal

May 9, 2008

You can take some of Christy's, and I'll have some of mmswm's. :p

36. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 9, 2008

I have plenty to share! I always thought that I was meant to be much taller (I'm 5 foot - nothing) because I have big feet (size 9 1/2), big boobs, and a big head. The rest of me just didn't get the message!

37. smalltowngal

May 9, 2008

:lol: My sister is 5'9 with size 11 feet but a small chest.

38. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

May 9, 2008

Sounds good. :2up:
    I never knew there would come a day when I'd be fighting for a woman's boobs. :lol: :unsure::haha:

39. smalltowngal

May 9, 2008

:toofunny:

40. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 9, 2008

I am only 5 feet tall too! But my feet are small. I too have pretty big boobs for my size. I really don't want to share though:p

My embarrassing part would be my lower belly.

41. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 9, 2008

omg..I spit coffee at the screen when I read this. The proposition to share sounds like a good idea. Maybe if I didn't have so much that curve in my spine at the base of my neck would go away. Oh, and the muscle twitches that are a result of the heavy boobs..you can have that too.