Physical environment of classroom

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mitzi, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Mitzi

Mitzi Rookie

Mar 18, 2007

Recently, in an interview, I was asked to describe the "physical environment" of my classroom. The interviewer started out by saying something like, "Since the environment is an important conducive part of the learning atmosphere, tell me what I would see if I were your Principal and came into your classroom."

I describe how a small group would be working on one side of the room (I talk a lot with my hands), in another area students would be working on Math, and I would have a group at the skills table. I also went on to say that everything in my room is very organized, very organized. I also mentioned plants (part of brain-based education) and literacy centers. I mentioned how I have a CD on. at times, like Mozart, while students are working, and if I forget to put it on, they ask me.

I probably should have asked him to repeat the question, but it's too late now.

What do you think he was looking for?
    THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHT INTO THIS QUESTION>

Mitzi:confused:

3. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Mar 18, 2007

Definately include books - lots and lots of books. If you get stumped, always refocus your thoughts to literacy in the classroom. Mention books of many different genres, a quiet reading area, literature at the fingertips of every child. Your focus of the classroom could represent literacy. Published student writing etc.etc.etc.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 18, 2007

I have always answer with space for the students to move around. If students feel cramped than they are more likely to misbehave. I always mention students work on the walls, for kindergarten I would have a word wall up. I would have a quiet reading area..........

5. tripletsteacher

tripletsteacher Companion

Mar 18, 2007

I was told the number one thing people forgot on this question is:: Student work displayed.

6. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 19, 2007

I would mention the amount of wall space I cover with posters, charts, and decorations. I probably only cover 40-50% of wall space with these things (excluding bbs) because too much drives me crazy. I'm sure decoratives and posters wallpapering the room and hanging from the ceiling also distract some kids, esp. those with ADHD.

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 19, 2007

THat's what I was going to say. We're coached to mention this in interviews, and especially when asked about the physical environment (what would I see in your classroom). Coached by our faculty, I mean.