Physical activity every day...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2007

Florida has made it mandatory that students will be doing physical activity every single day.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this can be incorporated in the academic setting? Linked to different things we do in class... maybe spelling?

(Envisions Akeelah and the jump rope from Akeelah and the Bee...) :blush:

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 30, 2007

I do warm-ups before handwriting... they are part of the Handwriting Without Tears program. You roll your shoulders, lift your arms up into the air, and stomp feet (pulls you back into the chair) hug yourself... these are for posture mostly.

You should check out something called the "brain dance" I don't have the details, but it's really cool-- my class does it with a specials teacher. Also, yoga in the classroom is fantastic. A "Salute to the Sun" in the morning gets you going!

Also, playing outside is always good... especially where you are.. I would want to be in the sun all the time!

4. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

We do word wall cheers in which we do a lot of movement.... we also do yoga sometimes!

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 31, 2007

Neat! Anything that fourth graders will go for specifically? I have a pace counter, so I'll have one kid wear that every single day. We also have a tremendous bus loop (I should photograph the outside of the school... you'll think The hills are aliiiiiiivvveeeeee! :) ) We are on VERY hilly and lush land in the middle of Ruralurbia.

Oh, and our school plans on doing more of the Brain Gym.

I really, really wish we would have extended the school day a little because I think... out of which period did we decide on including this?

6. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Did Florida just recently do this?Is it just elementary?

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 31, 2007

Could you do something like walking with pedometers as part of math?? I think I heard a news story or something, where the kids would walk in the morning with the teacher. As they walked, they chanted the times tables. You could graph the number of steps they take, and they could find the difference in steps between days, find the average of steps per week (lots of big addition and long division) etc. You could a couple of loops, meanwhile doing mutliplication practice. I am kind of thinking of those army chants! Then, you could do the math to determine about how many steps would make a mile (measure their pace.) As the year continued, you could determine how many miles they walked.. or reverse the math... 1/2 pace = 1 foot, 3 feet = 1 yard, 1760 yards = 1 mile... how many paces??? numbers are running through my mind! How fun!

Also, they could just keep track of the miles they walk. Have them do a math project where they measure the distance of the bus loop. Then, they can figure out how many miles they go each week, month, quarter. They could graph it and really do a lot of math with it. Maybe even a walk-a-thon to raise money for a worthy cause one day... that would bring decimals into the whole thing... now I'm really excited for this. It makes me want to do it!

You could also do the presidents fitness test thing.. (Oh, how I hated it in school) They could do a little bit every day-- maybe just one part... then go through it again.. measure progress. I would have hated this as a kid, but there will be kids who like it.

Have "dance-able moments..." kind of like teachable moments. When something really great happens, that deserves an applause, get up and dance instead. Pop in some tune, like "Everybody Dance Now" by C + C Music Factory. Then just spend that 2 minutes dancing.

So, let's see:

15 minutes walking
    5 minutes warm ups before writing
    5 minutes of yoga in the morning
    5 minutes word wall (vocab at your age) cheers?
    2 minutes of dancing when something awesome happnes

there ya go! that's more than 30 minutes. I am excited for you...

8. IRAEnglishT-chr

IRAEnglishT-chr Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Wow! This sounds like fun! Use the kids for all kinds of examples during teaching...when you're teaching about the solar system, have them pace off how many steps it would be from one planet to the next to create a scale model...when you're doing spelling practice, have kids take turns coming up with motions for each word/letter...when you're teaching perimeter, have them walk around the room or the school...when you're teaching about history, provide props and have them act it out! What fun!

9. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Kentucky adopted the same with having 30 minutes of physical education a day. And it is very difficult to get the 30 minutes in when I can't fit in all the content I am supposed to teach. I do have my students watch a video and excercise from the program "United Streaming.com"- they incorporate cardinal directions and other things. I like the idea of have the students recite times tables.

10. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Ms. Jasztal,
    I agree! I can't figure out how I will fit anything else into my day! Do they expect us to give up subject area time for physical activity? My school already has on of the shortest days in the county because of bus schedules :eek: I keep asking when we get to change with another school and get the longer day... our tardy bell is at 8:15.... and students start leaving at 1:40!!

11. pokybloom

pokybloom Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I am so glad you said that because I have been in yoga for years and wanted to put it into my morning routine but thought that might be weird! So it is good to hear someone make the suggestion!!:D

12. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I'm in Kentucky, too. Last year, our school did a program through our Family Resource Center called Move More, Sit Less. We simply took 2 10 minute walk or dance breaks, then the other 10 minutes we played word games with some type of physical activity.

For example, we'd play a type of 'hang-man' but it was called something different...grrr, I can't remember it right now. Anyway, I put blanks on the board for a phrase that used their spelling words. The students guessed a letter. If they guessed a consonant that wasn't there, they had to do 5 of a certain activity that they determined before we started the phrase. It they guessed a vowel that wasn't there, they had to do 10 of a different activity. The activities varied from jumping jacks to hopping to crunches. If they guessed a letter correctly, they did victory jumps--you know, hands in air jumping up and down?? I started the year leading the activities, then passed the leadership role off to students after they understood how it worked.

This year, I ordered Leslie Sansone's Kid's Walk Video to incorporate some way into our program. I think you have to keep changing things up to keep it fun for the kids.

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

We are also mandated to provide at least 20 minutes of physical activity daily (outside of recess). Our provincial ministry of education has put together some great resources. Here's a link to some ideas for activities for grades 4-6.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/teachers/dpa4-6.pdf

14. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

I think I am going to really beef up my calendar/math time with lots of movement songs. I already use some of the Jack Hartmann songs and I make the kids do movements with them, so I think I'l have to time it all to see how many more minutes of physical activity I have to put in the day. Last year during the cooler months (not many here in FL) I made my kids do a lap at recess before getting to play.

I too agree that the school days should be extended, whether because of this legislation or not. I simply have a hard time getting everything in anyway.

15. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

wow!

That document is such a great resource. I'm going to see if there is one for k-2. Wish FL would make something for teachers.

16. MsTeacher

MsTeacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

Our school has PE three times a week in addition to the daily recess. I really like that because the students are so much calmer during the day. I think it's because they know they will have a chance to go out and play.
    I really like all the ideas here about incorporating movement into the curriculum.

17. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Last year we had an 8 day special area rotation with 3 of days for PE. This year we will still have an 8 day rotation, however we lost a science teacher, so we will have 4 PE days. Yay!!! Rainy days are the pits when the kids can't get out.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

Here's the link for grades 1-3 :)
    http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/teachers/dpa1-3.pdf

19. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Jul 31, 2007

I do Brain Gym exercises in my classroom. We were taught them last year to help with the standardized tests and now I use it all the time! The studenst love these exercises and many can be done from tehir seats.

20. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Thanks MrsC! I saved it to my computer so I can reference it often. I know it's for 1-3, but I'm sure some of the 1st grade things could be used with kindergarten.

21. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

Okay, I may have some of you throw stones at me....BUT....

Why does the classroom techer have to provide extra PE?? If the state said that we must teach math for an extra 10 min. each day, would the PE teacher have to worry about that? I doubt it! It really bothers me that classroom teachers are asked to worry about this. I think it is great that the children are going to be exposed to more PE, as many of them only exersice while they are in PE (we all know that many go home and watch TV/play video games). If the state is mandating more PE time, great.....just make sure that the schools have funding to hire more PE teachers if needed.

Now, some of you mentioned having extended school days becuase it is hard to fit eveything in. I could not disagree more! Yes, there are days when I do not get to everything planned, but that is okay, there is always tomorrow! Kids (and teachers) are spent come the end of the day...the last thing these little kids need are the demands of a longer day. I know that NYC schools have extended days ( I am not sure of the specifics of how the program works), but are the kids there THAT MUCH smarter due to the extra 45 min or so? I am sure that the biggest benifit is that parents see "oh free babysitting!" I think that the demands of the curriculm (I teach things to first graders that I did not learn until I was in thrid grade!) are enough, we can only cram so much into their brains. I say let the kids go home and be kids.....PLAY!!!!!! Okay, I'll get off my :soapbox:

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2007

Our mandate is not for extra Phys Ed time, but for daily physical activity as part of a healthy lifestyle. Our students have recess every day (half an hour in the morning and 40 minutes after lunch) and Phys Ed twice a week. On the days the class doesn't have Phys Ed, the classroom teacher does activities in the classroom--for a total of 20 minutes. Many of them can, in fact be incorporated into other curriculum--spelling relays for example--or done as a 3 minute break in a long math class. I know that if the superintendent had an additional 1 or 2 teachers assigned to our school, I would want them used in a more efficient way than going from room to room providing an exercise break (like creating smaller class sizes!)

23. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Another fifth grade teacher and I came up with this. We wrote physical activities on popsicle sticks with one thing to study.

For example:

Jumping jacks - proper nouns
    toe touches- list the divisibility rules
    arm circles - multiplication facts for 8
    lunges- interjections
    marching- give an example of a primary resource
    do the twist- list the steps in the scientific process

We have some sticks for each subject (we are self-contained)
    When we do these with our students, we are going to put them in a circle and have each student do the thing on the stick - while they are speaking they can stand still and say for example a proper noun - the rest of the students will still be doing jumping jacks and listening to the speaker. The students will continue to do jumping jacks until different proper nouns are said all the way around the circle. Each day we plan to just pick one of the sticks out of the bucket.

24. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Mrs. C

Thanks for the link to that resource. I have to teach my own P.E and I know that I can use many of those games for my class!

25. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

My understanding is that (with the new Florida law) kids will have to have actual P.E. for 150 minutes a week in k-6. The law applies to older kids, but the numbers are different. Regular classroom teachers ARE allowed to teach this PE. But I suspect that, IF the law stays around, we will have to document some real PE time. I think each district/school is probably working now to come up with ways to implement this new "great" idea. ;-)
    I would think that PE teachers would be upset by this, because it basically makes them obsolete...no need for certification in PE, ANY teacher can teach PE!....aaagh ...ya got me started....

26. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 31, 2007

Our situation is pretty much opposite of everybody else's. At our school, because we are small, our PE teacher gets to every class every day so they get 30 minutes a day. Because they get "physical activity", we don't have recess. That takes away the "lost recess" consequence for misbehavior, we give conduct checks which take off points from conduct grades but that doesn't mean much to most little ones. Still, I like my daily break so I'll stay where I am.

27. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 31, 2007

Just curious how long your days are. The school hours for students in my county are 7:55-2:05 To me that's on the shorter side, so I'm thinking an additional 30 minutes would be fine.

28. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 31, 2007

Check the wording of the law. My state has a similar law, but recess counts for part of the time, so we really only have to incorporate 10 min. a day, plus 2 30 min. pe sessions. I have my kids do short things during transition times between subjects, like 25 jumping jacks, or walk around the room 6 times, etc. It keeps them from getting bored.

29. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2007

7:50- 2:30

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2007

Many schools are cutting PE the way they are cutting music and art. At our school the kids go to PE for 40 minutes once a week. Yes they go to recess for 20 minutes a day, but most teachers don't structure those activities so they could just sit on a bench for that whole time. Kids are just so sedantary today they are becoming really unhealthy. The time can be split throughout the day 5 minute movement activities as transitions. I know we have really stringent academic requirements today, but these kids have to get exercise.

I just finished watching Shaquille O'Neal's Challenge on television and they showed him meeting with the Governor of Florida to make the change. I applauded his efforts as hard as it is to fit it in I think it's important.

31. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Jul 31, 2007

Mrs. C, can you tell me more about spelling relays? How exactly do they work?

32. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 31, 2007

We dance in class (kids love to do the Macarena, Hand Jive, Bunny Hop, and Chicken Dance). We also do push ups, sit ups, and jumping jacks. Something my school is big on are Energizers. I'm not sure if this is the same as Brain Gym. We were given a whole set of Energizer cards that give activities for lower grades and upper grades. A lot of them connect with the curriculum in some way. An example of an energizer that my kids love is the Fire Drill energizer. I say, "Fire" and the kids drop to the ground and roll. When I say, "Fire is out!" the kids get up and walk around the room. If I say, "When the heats up high..." the kids reply "You get down low" and they crawl on the floor.

33. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

Hope I can explain clearly--I'm only on my first cup of coffee! :lol:
    It's a really simple game with minimal prep--just push desks out of the way if needed--and they love it!

Spelling Relay: Divide the class into 3 teams; they line up at the back of the room facing the whiteboard. Each team is assigned a spot on the whiteboard and the first person in line has a whiteboard marker. The teacher calls out a word (from spelling list or theme vocabulary) then says, "Go". The first person in each line runs up to the board, writes the first letter of the word then runs back, hands the marker to the next person in line, and goes to the end of their line. The second person writes the second letter, and so on. If an error is made, any other team member can correct it on their turn (but they can't also add a new letter). The first team to spell the word correctly and have all team members back in line wins a point! To modify this game for my Special Ed kids, I let them get a hint from either the person just in front of them (at the time of the pen hand-off) or the person just behind them.

34. little317

little317 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

I do something similar with our lightning words (sight words), but I have each child write the entire word. I like how you had more movement in the game by only letting the kids write one letter at a time.

35. PinkLily

PinkLily Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Thanks Mrs. C! I love that idea! I'm always searching for daily physical activities that can be done in the class. I've also been searching for new ways to practice spelling. Now I can do both at the same time!

36. SouthernTeach

SouthernTeach Companion

Aug 1, 2007

love2teach,
    My school day is shorter by a good 30 minutes than other schools in my area for bus reasons (We share busses) I just want a normal lenth school day... My school day is 5 1/2 hours long. 50 minutes per day is lunch and special areas..... 15 minutes of mandatory recess.

I absolutely agree that it is not our job to make sure that children have physical activities every day! Surely something must be the job of the parents! I make sure my own 3 children have physical activity every day!

37. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 1, 2007

We run on a 5 day cycle, so students go to PE once a week for 35 min, if even that. Throw in explaining directions, drinks, and points (part of our school wide behavior program) they really don't even get much time.

I teach first grade, and students only have a 35 min lunch and recess. I think they only give kids 15 minutes to play.

Last year we did word wall cheers, phonemic awareness songs, or just silly songs if there is a time when they just really need to move. We tinkered with yoga a bit, and I also downloaded some "brain breaks" from Dr. Jean's website and printed them on strips.

I'm really interested in Brain Gym, yoga in the classroom, or any good CDs if anyone has any resources to share.

38. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 1, 2007

39. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I am very concerned about fitting 30 minutes of PE into my already jam-packed schedule. At my school K and 1st teach their own PE.:eek: I am so stressed out about this! Oh, and not only do we have to teach PE, but there is no place to teach it. Our school is building another building which took our field and basketball court area. The only thing left is the PE shelter (which will most likely be used for 2nd-6th grades all day) and the playground (no room for PE). I guess it will work itself out.:unsure:

40. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Our school plans on doing that daily, I heard today, from 9:00-9:30 a.m., but I hope in all honesty the routine is changed up a bit because there is so much more we can do. It would be good to even do this 2 or 3 days a week instead of 5.

41. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2007

Oh, and to fit this period from 9:00-9:30, it was made the same length as science and social studies. Thirty minutes... I honestly wish we had more time for the latter because well... they need to know the science for fifth grade FCAT and social studies is very, very important, too. We only have those two subjects three days a week, and we may have to alternate weeks to keep things going.