Photos of the gerbil "inheritance"

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2007

Here are the gerbils I've been referring to. It's two girls.

[​IMG]
    The cover is very heavy, and they are not able to escape. The food is on the right. If you have better ideas or suggest I get a dish, then write below about it. :)

[​IMG]
    They love hanging out together. Today, they enjoyed flinging their bedding all over the place and making tunnels while "Mommy" unpacked the classroom. The one with the white lets me touch her, and the solid gray is not as personable yet. The one with the white, however, seems lazy while the gray one made the deepest and best tunnel.

[​IMG]
    The solid gray one is also very protective and seems more "mature", if that makes sense. The one with the white enjoyed sleeping a lot of the time and basking in her new deep "bed". She's also the one who goes around trying to eat the bedding.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2007

[​IMG]
    I think this was my favorite, though. It was taken from a good 5-10 feet away with the zoom lens so they wouldn't scuttle all over the place. Remember, they're 2 months old on Monday and therefore are babies, so they get a little scared.

4. Mrs. Mtz

Mrs. Mtz New Member

Jul 20, 2007

Very Cute! Do they have names yet?

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 20, 2007

They'll have names sometime after August 20th. Right now, they're just referred to as "Awwwww. How are YOU doing today?" :)

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 20, 2007

They are adorable, Ms. Jasztal!

7. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 20, 2007

adorable.

careful about gerbils and little hands they have very sharp teeth.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

Very cute! Now I want a classroom pet!

I guess I could always get dormice. They look like hamsters and they were popular in ancient Roman times.

[​IMG]

The only problem is that the Romans didn't keep them as pets... they ATE them!

Glires: Isicio porcino, item pulpis ex omni membro glirium trito, cum pipere, nucleis, lasere, liquamine farcies glires et sutos in tegula positos mittes in furnum aut farsos in clibano coques.

Translated
    Dormice: Stuff dormice with pork filling, and with the meat of whole dormice ground with pepper, pine nuts, silphium, and garum. Sew up, place on a baking tile, and put them in the oven; or cook the stuffed [dormouse] in a pan.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

Be sure to take them out of the cage and handle them every day so they get used to it. If you don't, they won't be too safe in the classroom.

10. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 21, 2007

Cute Gerbils! Do any of you have fish in your classroom? I have some at home and was thinking about taking my smaller fish tank to the classroom. How much extra work is it? I do have a sink which is nice to add some water without having to trek it in from the bathrooms. If you have fish, what type do you have? I have some adult guppies which are having babies like crazy!

11. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

What do you mean by that? I've never had gerbils before, so I have no idea...

Would the kids be good with this, or would I...? Put one in my hands, and I'm sure they'd scuttle... :sorry:

The only thing I've done so far is sticking my finger in there so they can get used to my scent.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 21, 2007

Very cute pets!!

I would LOVE to keep male dward hamsters in my class. I'm just worried about allergies to the bedding.

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

:)
    I just had a thought.

During FCAT, they are so going in my middle room (which has my filing cabinets and a nicely lit area). I can just see them trying to dig tunnels and fling bedding a good 6 inches in the air in the middle of the test.

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

No, you have to take them out and hold them every day or they won't get used to humans.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

Ohhhhhh. The finger is a start, though.

They did see a little more when they were in the other teacher's room, though they were born one week before school was over. Eventually, I'll feel comfortable enough. I have a month. :)

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2007

I've never been brave enough to have a classroom pet!! How do you plan to allow children to handle the gerbils?

Also, will you be studying anything about them? Do you incorporate them into the curriculum? LOL

17. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2007

When I first got gerbils, one child a day was allowed to hold them until everyone had a chance. Then, two kids a day would go. They could play with them during free time. I also had a pet care job. They fed and gave water daily, as well as helped me clean the cage on Friday.

Before I started Friday cleaning (I think I mentioed this before) I would have the weekly helper pick a couple of friends and we would stay in during the last recess and clean the cage. They LOVED it.

18. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Jul 21, 2007

Aww so cute! I am just starting out and was wondering whether to get a class pet because I know that the kids would love to have one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for "low maintenance" class pets that kids really enjoy? (I don't mean to hijack your thread but I thought I'd ask anyway...lol)

19. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

OK...now the important part....how do you deal with children who get bitten? Just wondering because you know it happens!!

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

One of my favorite students cried in pain (after I was bitten by the hamster, I knew why) and I felt sooooo bad. She washed her hand, cleaned with hand sanitizer, and I put a bandaid on it. She was leery of the animal afterward. The more you handle them, the better they behave, but ease into it with the kids - littleschool's advice is great.

21. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

Do the parents ever get mad at you if a class pet bites their child?

22. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 21, 2007

I was afraid of that, but they didn't.

23. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

I've had hamsters galore and you have to start picking them up right away. Shortly they will come right onto your hand and just sit there. So the sooner you handle them the better. Be sure to send a note home the first day of school to be sure no one has allergies. That happened to me one year and I had to get rid of them. I also let the parents know that the kids will be cleaning out the cage and the parents sign a permission slip stating that they are aware that their child will be handling the hamsters.

24. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Jul 21, 2007

Guinea pigs are the greatest and they do not bite that often.

25. WindyCityGal606

Jul 21, 2007

I think I'd had to send home some type of written release just to protect myself. Some parents can become unreasonable when they get on a roll!:D

26. middlegagirl

middlegagirl New Member

Jul 21, 2007

I have gerbils in my high school classroom. The kids love them. Try letting the kids feed them sunflower seeds. THey will eat them out of their hand and it is neat for the kids to see them open the hull and get the seed out and eat it. I make the kids who have detention afterschool clean the cage because at this age, they don't exactly beg to do that!!

27. shouts

shouts Companion

Jul 23, 2007

Need to get some pine or wood chews in the cage. They're rodents, so their teeth are always growing.

That's why she shreds the bedding, I would expect. There is nothing else to chew.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 25, 2007

The teacher who raised this family of gerbils never had an issue with biting. Yet if they ever bite... I'll provide a disclaimer first.

I worry about allergies more than anything else.

Oh- thanks, Shouts. I didn't know about the pine or wood chews. All I have ever raised is a dog, so I never knew.

What else have some of you tried to get creative? I read about toilet paper rolls somewhere.

Latest what they're actually doing report- They're starting on get on the wheel, and they let me handle them as of yesterday and the day before. The solid gray one was actually the first to be responsive.

29. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

I've never had hamsters in a classroom, but I had several when I was younger. Even though they are nocturnal, my Mom and I actually successfully created a "schedule" for them. We fed them and got them out to hold them around the same time everyday, so they came to expect it and already be awake. Hamsters love those little balls to roll around in - they can't get out, it gives them great exercise, and it would be a fun way to get them out with the kids. Yogurt drops are a healthy treat, and if you REALLY want to give them a great diet, add some alfalfa sprouts. They are less than $1 at walmart and last about a week. We use to give ours cheez-its sometimes - it's funny to see the shape in the pouches.
    I would recommend having the kids sit on the floor when they hold the hamsters.

30. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 25, 2007

Good advice all around. I'd get some chewy toys and throw a toilet paper roll in their. Instant tunnel AND chewy toy! :)
    Be careful with the students handling them. You will get that insane little one that thinks it'll be funny to squeeze them (as evidence when I was in 5th grade and someone did that). Play with them EVERY day so they get used to you and the human contact. Get two balls and let them run around during 'down' time so that they can start smelling all the kids also.
    I sooooo want a class pet. But we're not allowed ANY kind! :(