Phonology, Edmodo, and Collins, oh my! (a mild-mannered vent)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by pwhatley, Jun 24, 2013.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

:dizzy:I think I'm overdosing on PD this summer. So far, I have attended 9 separate PD courses (some for multiple days), ranging from classroom technology to methods for teaching writing. I have 6 more (a total of 11 days worth) to go, lol! Don't get me wrong, I am a self-proclaimed professional student, and cannot currently afford to obtain my master's degree, so I "load up" on classes each summer. I don't do so lightly, and I only sign up for classes that I think will benefit me and my students in the classroom. But they're starting to run together! LOL! With no class full of students on/with whom to implement these strategies, I know that I will lose some of what I learn, and I hate that! Ugh - thanks for the vent!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2013

What are you getting in phonology?

4. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

Lots of intervention methods for my "lowest" students. The official title is "Project Read: Phonology," and it's a great course (I've actually taken it once before). Since I'm moving to third, I wanted to look at it from a new perspective, and it was very beneficial! Honestly, I'm thrilled that my district offers so many development opportunities!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 24, 2013

Sounds cool!

6. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

It was! They (our dyslexia department) also offer Project Read's Comprehension: Story Form, Multisensory Grammar and Framing Your Thoughts/Written Expression (2 classes condensed into 1), Report Form, and Linguistics (for older students).

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2013

Are these online or are you going somewhere for the classes?

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

I know that, if you go to http://www.projectread.com/, they offer webinars, but I don't know how much they cost. I have attended Phonology and Multisensory Grammar/Framing Your Thoughts/Written Expression, but haven't been able to fit the others in yet - hoping to take Comprehension: Story Form and Report Form in the fall!

9. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 24, 2013

I just finished a 4 day technology workshop and I learned so much... How to set up a new blog, use Twitter, Edmodo, Animoo, Slideshare, Polleverywhere, Voki, Padlet, make podcasts, word clouds, etc. Will I remember half of it? Probably not, but I feel temporarily enlightened. ;)

I'm disappointed that my district didn't offer more PD opportunities.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2013

I'm going to a Teaching with Apple institute in a couple of weeks. I'm REALLY hoping to be able to do a tech mentor job in my district in the near future, and so I'm trying to get some PD under my belt in that area. If I end up staying where I am for next year, it will come in handy too, I think.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 24, 2013

My dream Master's degree is Technology in Education (I used to build, troubleshoot, and train adults in how to use computers and software).

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2013

Wow! You are busy this summer but how terrific! It must not only help you professionally, but it also gives you something to do. I am on day 2 of my summer break and already bored out of my mind.

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 25, 2013

I'm DEFINITELY not bored, lol!