Phonics

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by brandi0718, Jun 12, 2008.

1. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

Does anyone have trouble teaching this? I find myself struggling when it comes to phonics, especially when we are coding the words. Do you know of any good books to help with ideas for teaching phonics? :help:

3. gateachermom

gateachermom Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

We use Saxon Phonics at our school. I love it, especially for Kindergarten and teaching decoding. SRA Reading Mastery is also fabulous for teaching phonics (minus decoding). A good book to use is Words their Way. It has a lot of activities that correlate with our phonics lessons.

4. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

We use Saxon too but i HATE it!!!

5. kem

kem Companion

Jun 12, 2008

I love Words Their Way!!

6. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

We use the Pinnell and Fountas Phonics Lessons and I also supplement (not that you would need to with that, but I just like certain lessons) with 4-Blocks Month by Month Phonics for First Grade and Phonics They Use by Cunningham.

7. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I will have to check some of that out....I do lots of flashcards but gosh the coding is a nightmare.

8. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 13, 2008

I pick and choose from the 4-blocks month by month phonics. I use Systematic Sequential Phonics they Use, every day. I was scared of the phonics thing, and this was great because it had everything step by step, what to say, what you need. The kids really enjoyed our making words time! :)

9. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

Is it a book that I buy and is it expensive?

10. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jun 13, 2008

Yes, you can buy the book it costs around the same as all the other four blocks books, give or take $19. You can find it at most teacher supply stores. It is by Patricia Cunningham. They have it used on Amazon for used from $15 http://www.amazon.com/Systematic-Se...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213378334&sr=8-2

I was new to teaching first this past year, and this was an area where I felt extremely weak in. :eek: Coming from third, we just don't cover it with the depth of understanding/concentration first graders need. This was very helpful. It correlates with your word wall, after four making words lessons, the fifth one is a word wall lesson putting up the words. There is a bulletin board kit (words) that go along with this program as well, purchased separately.

Last week some teachers were talking about organizing letters for making words on the second grade board. I posted how I organize them with out the hassle of handing them out everyday or getting them ready in baggies. Check out the thread, "making words question" on the second grade board. :)

11. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

Ok thanks! I added a link to a cute behavior chart idea on the thread--behavior chart ideas........look at it and see if you think it would work with 1st graders.

12. classemom

classemom Rookie

Jun 15, 2008

I looked at the Fountas and Pinnell book on Amazon, it is so expensive....before I buy it, I have a question....when do you do your phonics lesson? Do you tie it to your spelling or reading lesson?
    Do you have to use a certain spelling program to use the book?

Last year was my first year...we used open court part of the year...so I did my phonics with that all year...but mid year we started to try to implement guided reading...and so now I need to find something to do for phonics, next year we should be doing guided reading all the way.

Thanks!

13. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

An awesome way to teach phonics is called the Phonics Dance. You can do a search online and find the information. Basically, the kids learn the phonics rules and sounds through chants and the kids LOVE THIS! In fact, I subbed for first and second grade classes a lot and whenever I would forget to do this, they would quickly remind me. An example would be: t-h says th, th, th. t-h says th, th, th: thumbs up (children point thumbs up), thumbs down (children do them same). s-h says sh, sh, sh. s-h says sh, sh, shh. Don't wake the baby! So they are saying or doing something for each phonics rule to help them remember. for the ea rule (long e), the kids say, "I scream. You scream. We all scream for ice cream" Does this make sense?

14. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

That is really cute! I love that. With Saxon it just seems so boring and it tends to move kind of fast--to me. Is the Phonics Dance something I need to buy or is it just a web site I can go to?? Thanks for the info.

15. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

I'm not sure. I will be going to the phonics dance workshop in Dayton, Ohio on Aug. 5th. I know that the workshop is held in other states as well. Do a search for Phonics Dance and you will see the website. I think it's just www.phonicsdance.com.

16. brandi0718

brandi0718 Comrade

Jun 15, 2008

There isn't a workshop near me, but I hope you enjoy yours...let me know how it was.