Phonics help

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by 1gdteach, Apr 8, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 8, 2008

Ok I am taking teaching children with reading difficulties class. We are writing a paper on a 3rd grade student we did an IRI on this student and found he had difficulites with phonics in these areas syllabication, affixs (left off ending sounds in many words and ignored beginning sounds) he had trouble with r-controll when testing with nonsense words. With all that said I have to come up with ideas in reading instruction to help this student with these areas. Any ideas would be greatful!!!!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Apr 8, 2008

When you divide words into syllables, instead of clapping your hands for each syllable- clap each syllable out on the body.

Wrist- 1
    elbow- 2
    shoulder - 3
    top of head - 4
    other shoulder- 5
    other elbow= 6
    other wrist -7

After they have done the syllables on the body, they can more easily identify how many are in a word. They won't lose track. You can also play a game with LONGER words where they clap the syllable and then try to spell each part of the word. You can also do games with open and closed syllables, by having the student physically move around. Open the arms and legs wide for an open syllable and close in and crouch down for a closed. Call out a word- like go- and he will open up. Then change go to goat and he closes his body.

For suffixes, make cards up that show the word with and without the suffix and have the child act out the differences. He will see how they change the meaning.

Jump is a good example, jump, jumping, jumped, jumper, jumps.

4. deeno

deeno Rookie

Apr 8, 2008

Phonics

I would go back to a phonological and phonemic awareness program where the child is exposed to a lot of activities that probably haven't being taught successfully.
    I have found the information in the West Virginia Phonological Program a great resource.
    Could you tell me the age of the child and I will look to find the link for you.
    Also, there are a lot musical CD's that can help in this area and will make the lessons fun.
    Give me some more information and I will find the necessary information for you.
    Deeno

5. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Apr 9, 2008

Its a 3rd grade student. His instructional reading level is 4th grade.

6. MsMongoose

MsMongoose Companion

May 5, 2008

Its a 3rd grade student. His instructional reading level is 4th grade.

Could he have a minor speech problem ? From what you say, his reading is all right.

7. deeno

deeno Rookie

May 6, 2008

The area that you have discussed is all related to phonological Awareness and Morphemic knowledge ( the old structural analysis). A speech assessment would give you more detailed information if that is the way you want to go. But, in the meantime, I would complete the Phonological Awareness Program.