PHONEMIC/PHONOLOGICAL AWARENESS

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by atxteacher, Jul 18, 2014.

1. atxteacher

atxteacher Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I am having a hard time telling the difference between phonemic awareness and phonological awareness.

It states that Phonemic awareness is the understanding that words have small components called sounds and these sounds create syllables and words.

Phonological awareness is the ability to identify and manipulates unites of oral language such as syllables, onsets and rime.

Am I over thinking this? Maybe I am looking for classroom examples of each that could help me decipher the two..

:help::help::help::dizzy::dizzy:

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2014

The word "phonemic" contains the root "phoneme". A phoneme is a unit of sound that can't be parsed out into smaller units and that distinguishes one word from another: we know that /s/ and /z/ are distinct phonemes of English, because "sit" and "zit" are distinct words. So phonemic awareness is the awareness that phonemes - individual sounds - exist and that words can be analyzed into them: "zit" consists of /z/, short I, and /t/.

Phonological awareness is awareness of the phonology or sound system of a language. You can think of phonemic awareness as a specific part of phonological awareness, but phonological awareness also includes awareness of units and processes in a language's phonology that span more than single phonemes. Breaking spoken sentences down into words, words into syllables, and syllables into onsets and rimes shows phonological awareness. There's more to it than that, however: full phonological awareness requires a grasp of the rhythm and prosody of the language, and prosody is the cover term for word stress (inSERT, with the stress on the second syllable, is a verb, but INsert is a noun), contrastive stress (HE's going, stressed on the first word, means something subtly but usefully different than do He's going with neutral stress or He's GOing with stress on the verb), and intonation on the level of phrase, clause, sentence, and text.