Phonemic Awareness Presentation-Help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by myKroom, Mar 25, 2008.

1. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Mar 25, 2008

My school has been conducting reading nights to help parents learn more reading strategies to help their students. On Thursday I have to do a presentation to parents about phonemic awareness. I was supposed to be doing it with another teacher...but now I'm not sure that she's going to be there. I know what phonemic awareness is and I have a few resources to pull from but I just wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas for what to include in my presentation.

My time slot is twenty minutes and I am trying to think of some type of activity that the parents could do for part of that time! Any ideas that you have would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

3. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

I would teach the parents simple things they can do with their children such as clapping syllables and rhyming activities.

Clapping syllables on the body instead of with the hands is great. Clap the first syllable on the wrist, then the elbow, shoulder, top of the head, other shoulder, etc.

I think teaching parents easy things they can do with their kids is great. Another fun thing is a word chain game. You change one phoneme in a word to make a chain... ham, mam, sam, sat, sap, tap, etc. For older kids, you can make a chain and see if they can get from egg to hen, or something like that.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2008

You could walk them through identifying syllables and phonemes in word- choose a mix of regular words and sight words and perhaps a longer grown-up word.

5. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 25, 2008

I always clapped out things as I was a child, but now in my reading class in college they said that children can't clap and count at the same time. they said we should have them place their hand under their chin and when their chin went up and down that was a syllable, Is this true......

For something fun with phonics you can use wiki sticks to underline different things in a book that have the same phonic sound. I love wiki stick and I use them for ANYTHING that I can find a use for!!!!!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2008

As to the chin moving, it's true enough to get the job done. Though some little wiseacre will doubtless try to speak without moving the jaw (and we know from ventriloquists that that is in fact possible).

7. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Mar 25, 2008

Not sure if it matters for your presentation, but there is a difference between phonemic awareness and phonics. Yeah, I took the RICA this year :) Phonemic awareness does not involve written words, but rather the fact that words are made of separate sounds ( /k/ /a/ /t/ ).

If that is too pedantic, just ignore me :D

8. rosebud9973

rosebud9973 Rookie

Mar 25, 2008

one suggestion would be to have the parents read lots of silly words like in the Dr. Seus books. The silly words can help children think about the sounds they are hearing at the beginning of the words. Also, lots of songs with letter sounds is another suggestion.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 25, 2008

It's generally how people deal with me *sigh*.