Phone Numbers

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by MrsCAD, Jul 6, 2006.

1. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Jul 6, 2006

I'm sure this has been asked on this board somewhere before, but I can not find it, so I'm going to ask it again.....do you give out your home phone numbers to your students and their parents? We do not have a home phone, just cells, but we have PLENTY :rolleyes: of minutes that it would not bother me for my students to call me if they need help. I will of course encourage to use me during my planning period or before/after school, but I'm not sure about the phone situation.

What has been your experience?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2006

The students and parents have my school voice mail number at which they are able to leave a message for me any time (we have phones in the classroom so can see immediately when we have a message). They also have my school email address. I check both a few times during the day and once in the early evening. In case of an emergency during instructional time, they can reach the office who can decide whether or not to put the call through to me directly. I would only give out my home or cell number to a parent if it was urgent that I speak with them about a specific issue.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

I teach preschool, so it wouldn't be the students that would be calling me, it would be the parents. I did used to give out my number at back to school night every year, but I had one really bad experience...a parent who would call at all hours (3 AM, 6 AM, 11 PM) for non-emergency situations, like wondering when the cupcakes should come to school for her twins' birthday celebration (this was at 3 AM). This year, one of our kindergarten teachers gave her number out to a parent who ended up harrassing her horribly...calling 9-10 times a day and hanging up.

So, no, I don't give out my numbers any more. Once I get to know my families, if there is a family who needs to talk to me at night, I'll send them my number and ask them to call me...if I feel I can trust them. But, as a rule, only certain families get my number.
    Kim

5. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jul 7, 2006

I do not give out my home phone number at all. I even pulled my name out of the phone book because it was easy to locate me. Inevitably though, parents/students are still able to track me down at home. Thank goodness for caller ID. :p I have even stated in my "Beginning-of-the-Year Brochure" that calls to my home residence will not be accepted. Harsh sounding, I know. But... I look at it like this... I am a professional that has basically "set" office hours much like a doctor or dentist. There is no way you would EVER call your doctor at home to discuss an ache or pain. Unless, of course, that doc was a family friend or family member. I deserve that same kind of respect.

That being said, I also encourage parents to contact me by email, written note, or by leaving a voice mail on my classroom voice mail. (We have phones in our classroom also.)

Before making a decision, I would ask your spouse to find out if he is comfortable with you giving out your phone number. Nothing disturbs the peace in the house than does a phone call from a parent or student. Can you tell I had the same situation? After seeing my husband's frown, I decided that home calls weren't going to work for us.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

I do give out my number. I have an email set up that is just for school. At the beginning of the year I send home a card with this contact information. I've had a couple of parents who have gotten out of hand with it, but for the most part they have just contacted me for emergencies.

7. hernandoreading

hernandoreading Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

I do not give out my home number. It's even unlisted. The way I look at it, there is nothing so important that it cannot be handled thenext school day. I'm flexible...if there is an emergency, I will work with the student.

8. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

DONT GIVE IT OUT! I used to teach in the town I live in, and one parent looked me up and called for silly things (my child will be late today, what time are you leaving for the class trip etc.....).
    I now work a distacne from school, but we also have voice mail e-mail and the main office for leaving messages.
    On a similar note, if you do have to make a phone call to a parent from home (I try to do alllll of mine from school), make sure you block your number from thier caller ID. I'm not sure of how to do it...call your local phone company...it may cost a buck or two, but it's worth your sanity if a parent can end up calling you at all hrs.for all sorts of thigns.
    As TeacherRW stated, we have office hrs and we are not "on call 24/7" there is no reason for us to be in touch alllll the time. I check my email several times a day, voice mail 1 or 2 times a day.....I think that more than enough!

9. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

Just a sidebar note.....it has been recommended that every household have at least one "land line" phone, since, when power goes out all cordless and cell phones are useless. Landline phones do not need electrical power to function....so as long as phone lines are intact (and more often now they are being placed underground), you still have communication ability in an emergency!

10. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

This is an interesting debate. I mentioned in another thread that I did give my cell phone numer out the last 2 years. I have never had a problem. One parent called me on my way to work one morning because her daughter insisted there was no school -- so I busted her! Also, I had one child that had a lot of behavior issues and mom's schedule made it very difficult for me to reach her during school hours so she would return my calls after work.

People have told me I am crazy but go with what makes you comfortable. The jury is still out for this year as I am moving to a new school.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2006

Phone numbers are easy to find anyhow. So even if you don't give out your number, that doesn't mean you won't get called. You can find almost ANY number through the internet.

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 7, 2006

NO WAY I don't give out my number. In the beginning of the year I tell parents I am at school from 8-4 adn they can call me. I also give them my school email address which I check everyday and a few times a day. Most will just talk to me after school or send a note in. My time at home is personal and I know some parents will abuse it.

13. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

Well, I actually give it out for security purposes! Granted, this is high schoo, but when we take our chorus trips, we often go to places where we can lets the kids "go," DisneyWorld, Six Flags, etc.....but EVERYONE on the trip....students and chaperones alike.....has a complete list of cell phone numbers of everyone on the trip. This way students can check in with chaperones (or call in case of emergency), and we can keep general tabs on students....or alert them to a change of plans. Everyone MUST keep their cell phone powered ON, and anyone who doesn't have a cell phone must buddy up with someone who does.

We had a student make a wrong turn coming out of a restroom at Disney last year and thought his group has disappeared, but he called his buddies and they reunited quickly!

14. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2006

AZ, that would really bother me....couldn't the parent call the school or look at the school cal to find that info out??? Mabye im a hardnose....but I find it sooooo wrong and intrusive for a parent to call at home or on a cell!

15. Music Doc

Music Doc Habitué

Jul 7, 2006

Yes, but Love......looking at the calendar would mean the parent had to actually LOOK for something.....God forbid!

16. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 7, 2006

It didn't bother me at all. The mom barely speaks any English so even if she did have access to the internet to look at the district calendar she wouldn't have been able to read it. Also, if she called the school, no one answers the phone until 8am and her child would have missed the bus. But it's just up to each individual I guess. I am single and no kids so the phone call doesn't bother anyone but me. I only have received a couple of calls in 2 years. I may reconsider this in my new school as the parents are much more involved and I do not want it to become a daily thing.

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 8, 2006

I don't give out my number, but I have still gotten calls at home (but not many). I have a rather unusual last name and my students know what suburb I live in, so I guess a few parents put it together and found me.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2006

No, they don't get my home phone number . . . or my cell number. They call the school and leave messages for me OR they can email me at school or my "home/school" address. I don't take calls from parents or students at home. Our phone number is listed in the book--only two people in town with our last name--so I do get an occasional home phone call. I don't, however, discuss school issues at home. We have caller ID, so we just don't answer. If they leave a message, my DH will call them back and tell them that I don't take work calls at home & give them the school number.

19. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2006

In the past, I've given it to the kids on my forensics team. If someone were sick and unable to meet us at 7am on a Saturday for a debate, he or she would need to get in touch to let me know.

The kids never abused it.

Aside from that, my phone number is unlisted and the kids don't have access to it.

20. Carla

Carla Companion

Jul 9, 2006

I give both my home and cell phone number. I have NEVER had a problem with parents calling constantly. My husband is also a teacher and he gives his cell number out. It hasn't ever been abused either. If I am open enough to give out my personal phone numbers they feel that I am open and willing to help when really needed, even if they don't ever try to use it. I also always include my number on behavior notes. This way parents can't say they didn't know how to contact me.

21. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 15, 2006

I never give out my number, unless it is a child I tutor, and then I give my cell number. Also, don't forget - if you are ARE calling a parent at night from your home phone, you might want to block the call - I learned this the hard way when a parent just checked the Caller I.D,. and made a note of my number for future reference! We are in school from 7:50 until at least 3:30 or later plus have email addresses, classroom web sites and school office numbers they can utilize.

22. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 15, 2006

I've always given out my number, but I've told the kids I don't like to chat on the phone (which is true) so only call if they really need someting. I've never had anyone abuse it except for one crank call, which in 18 years isn't too bad!

23. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 15, 2006

My roommate who was also a teacher in the same school I worked gave out our phone number to her 3rd grade students. (It was our shared home phone.) Several kids would call nearly once a day which is fine because they were calling for homework help. One little third grader of hers who idolized her to death would call and call and call and call. She was persistent for sure. It got to the point we would sometimes not pick up when she called. She would call and then call a minute later then another minute later for 10 or more times. lol she was a sweet little girl but I don't think I want that nightly disruption again.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 15, 2006

The only phone number the parents and students can reach me at is the school's. Other teachers in my building and my principal can call me at home. I do give out my e-mail address to parents as that is often the easiest way to get in touch with me quickly.

25. harbodin

harbodin Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I usually do but had a really annoying parent this year and probably won't anymore. I will just give my email address.

26. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jul 15, 2006

My home phone number is unlisted. We have phones in our classroom, so I let the parents know that they can call and leave a message or send me an email and that I will get back to them on my planning period or between 3:00 and 4:00. I have given my phone number to a couple of parents who were having a tough time (i.e. grandparent dying and parent wanted to let me know how the student was acting, etc.), but I only give it to parents I know won't abuse it.