Phone Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Youreapeach, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Youreapeach

Youreapeach Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Wanted to start a new thread for this, although it kind of piggybacks my other post. Since I'm considering applying out of state to find a job, I wanted to find out how to go about getting a phone interview? I guess I'm worried about districts even looking at/responding to my application when they see I'm out of state. Several people posted about how they've had phone interviews for out of state positions. How did you get one? Is it just implied that you will need one when you apply from out of state? Is this something I need to request? Guess I'm pretty much clueless to how all this will work! I keep imagining that I'll get a call wanting me to come in for an interview and when I tell them I can't come in because I'm thousands of miles away, they will move on. This is my biggest worry and what's holding me back from applying. I'd gladly apply to states like Georgia where someone posted that there are a lot of SPED openings, if I knew that I'd have a chance from so far away!
    Any info/feedback on this would be appreciated! Thanks to all who have already answered and given me info in my previous post. I'm really glad to have found you guys here!

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 29, 2009

It won't hurt to try.

I recently got a job 9 hrs from where I am now. I had one phone interview. The rest were in person. Basically, I drove around 5 times back and forth for sometimes just one interview. Yep. nearly 20 hours of driving for a 30-60 minute interview. But, in the end, it worked out. I got a job.

I don't know how feasible it is to travel to some of these locations by car, but if its at all possible, I would keep it as an option.

Trust me, the traveling took its toll! My pets were all stressed out, I am sure I gained weight sitting so long and eating fast food, and it was costly. Luckily, I had a friend in the city I am moving to, but I definitely filed a lot of gas tanks and put a lot of miles on the car. I saved my reciepts for tax write offs though.

4. bound2move

bound2move Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

I have had 2 phone interviews with schools in nyc. I have one more scheduled tomorrow. All from different schools! I didn't specifically request a phone interview. They know I live in VA so the initial interview was over the phone. If they want to do a 2nd interview, it may be in person. I didn't get that far yet, so I will have to keep you posted! But don't let distance stop you! :)

5. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Jun 29, 2009

I've had one phone interview. They called and asked for an interview, I asked if it could be over the phone. They said yes, if they had said no I would of had to go in person.

I'm now including in E-Mails to principals when I plan on moving to the area. I hope that will show them that I am serious. I won't get to move with out a job, but I don't want them to toss my resume as soon as they see I'm a few states away.

6. teacher112

teacher112 Companion

Jun 29, 2009

I don't think living outside the state hurts you at all! I actually think that makes you stand out a little, because you are willing to move. I have had 7 interviews this summer and 6 of them have been out of state. I did all my interviews in person though. I know a couple people who just did phone interviews and got jobs though. It really depends on the school district. One school said I could do a Skype interview if I wanted to, so that is another option.

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 29, 2009

i got my job from a phone interview..no inperson interview needed. I was shocked..so you never know :) good luck!!

8. Youreapeach

Youreapeach Rookie

Jun 29, 2009

Wow, how great for you! I guess it can/does happen! My fingers are crossed as I begin to move forward on this. I'm going to hope for the best and see what happens!

Did you write a cover letter stating that were planning on moving? I'll only move if I get a job, so I don't want to make an false statements.

9. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2009

Nope it was my regular cover letter and resume packet..I dont really know what made my application stand out but it did so Im all :)

I am flying out to meet with the principal next week and I really hope to sign the contract because I cant afford to move without this job!

Keep the faith!! it can happen!