Phone Interviews

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Jul 3, 2011.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 3, 2011

I am applying out of state to find a job; I wanted to find out how to go about getting a phone interview? Is it ok to ask for a phone interview or should I risk just being interviewed for a quota and drive 10 hours there for an interview? I am worried about schools not even looking at my application when they see I am out of state. If you have had a phone interview how did you get it, did you ask for it or is it implied because you are from out of state? I am afraid that I'll get a call wanting me to come in for an interview and when I tell them I can't come in because I'm 10 hours away from them they will not want anything to do with me anymore.

I have no offers for interviews yet but this is a question I really want to know.

Thanks

3. Opal

Opal Companion

Jul 3, 2011

I'm a bit confused... Are you saying you you will only interview by phone? That you cannot or will not go to them for an interview?

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jul 4, 2011

It's always been implied when I have applied. When I lived up north and was applying for jobs down south, it was automatic that I got a phone interview. It happened several times actually with other locations. Most are understanding that you can't just jump on a plane and spend hundreds of dollars on a whim for an interview.

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2011

I am confused as well. If you are applying out of state you should be willing to travel out of state. Or at least travel for a period of time to interview and pass out resumes etc.

Then you can e-mail or calls schools and tell them you will be in the area as well.
    But I would be willing to travel if you are applying out of state.

6. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 4, 2011

I agree and disagree. I traveled but it was not just for one interview. I would get an interview and then try to set up other ones while I was in the area.

That is good you were able to get phone interviews though.

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 4, 2011

My school did phone interviews and Skype interviews, and we hired from them. I would ask if it's possible. It's hard to expect people to fly across country on a teacher's salary.

8. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 4, 2011

Yes, I would travel there IF I knew that it was a serious interview. Where I live at now, the schools have to interview a certain amount of people for each position, even they already know who they are going to pick. I will be emailing my resume and calling each school that has an opening.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2011

Welcome!

I would ask if it is possible to schedule a phone interview if they do not suggest it first. However, if they want you to fly/drive for an in-person interview, don't push the issue and either go or don't go.

10. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Jul 4, 2011

I'm out of state and have done phone interviews and some Skype interviews. One prinicipal said I would have to drive there IF I made the final cut (after phone screening interview) but when I mentioned skype, he said he would do that for me. I am certified in the state I am applying to however, and I think that has made all the difference.

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 4, 2011

Like everything else, it all depends on the state and the district. My mom got called for an interview only 2 hours away and they asked her if she wanted to do a phone interview, but I think that was because it was only a screening interview. As for coming from out of state, are you certified in the state you're applying to? Again, depending on the state and the district, they may not even give your application a second glance if you're not certified in their state.

12. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 4, 2011

I am sending out for my license in that state tomorrow. Right now I have a license in Mississippi and Tennessee.

13. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2011

Usually as long as you can show that you are working on transferring or adding their state license, there is not a problem with hiring. However, it is nice to be able to hire someone who already has the state license so that they don't need to worry about things falling through.

14. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 4, 2011

I am going to call in the morning to their licensure department and ask tons of questions to double check myself to ensure that I will be able to get a license in that state and what grade level and subjects I can apply for. The fee is $85, so I want to make sure that I qualify for it.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 4, 2011

I definitely agree about applying for that state's license ASAP. You'll want to include something your cover letter saying your license is on it's way or something of the sort. I tried to call/e mail departments of education in other states when I was applying and found it did no good. I don't know where you're applying, but people just kept telling me to send the paperwork in and then they'd take a look. I think a)they want the money and b) they don't want to tell someone they can definitely have the license without looking over the paperwork, so they're not liable if for some reason they find out later you don't qualify. As you know, these are really tough times and there aren't really any "shortage" states left. You will definitely need the license before even being given a second glance by interviewers.

As for the phone interviews, any out of state place I interviewed automatically asked if I was interested in a phone interview. The first interview I was asked about was about 10 hours away. I knew it was for special ed (I was really mostly interested in regular ed anyway, but I quickly found out through my job search that was just downright impossible) and I didn't want to spend all that time/money traveling for something I wasn't that sure about. It was also a state that seperated out their license categories, and in their state I was licensed in emotional-behavior disturbance. I put that on my app because I wanted them to know that I had experience dealing with behavior issues, but I had no interest in teaching in an EBD classroom. The interview was simply with "the special ed department." When I called them back, I just mentioned that I lived about 10 hours away and would like to at least talk to someone about what the job was before I would travel out there. She told me they had already planned to make the interview over the phone anyway. It was a good thing too, because the first question they asked was if I would be interested in working in a self-contained EBD room. I said no, and it turned out those were the only positions they had open. I can't imagine how upset I would have been if I had gone all that way for that! I don't think it's any big deal at all to request a phone interview if they don't ask first. Many "first interviews" are simply screening interviews anyway. You don't want to spend a ton of money for something like that. This is more particular to special ed, but I also found out that a ton of people were dishonest about what type of position they were interviewing for (they'd list it as mild-moderate needs yet really it would be a self-contained room, multiple disabilities, or emotional-behavior disturbance). I also had a couple of interviews where I got there and they informed me the position had been filled but would I be interested in ___________ (either severe needs or something like TA/para, this happened to some friends in regular ed interviews as well). For all these reasons, I would definitely not recommend spending hundreds of dollars for flights to go to first interviews. If you fly out at all, I'd want to make sure that you were in the "final stage" and that you and the school were both very interested.

16. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jul 5, 2011

I think the biggest thing is to be certified in the state that you are applying to. This is a big expense. I interviewed over skype, got the job, then flew in to take fingerprints. I tried for several years to apply out of state without the certification with no luck. Some states may be different (Arizona seemed willing to work with my certification in Utah). I also have to take another praxis to be highly qualified but I have a year.

17. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 5, 2011

Thanks so much for the replies.