Phone "Interview"?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Dare2Teach, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Dec 27, 2018

Hi, everyone. This is Dare2Teach. I hope everybody has been having a wonderful holiday break, so far, and that you all are looking forward to 2019, and the start of the spring semester.

I am creating this thread because I have a question about something.

About a week ago, I applied for a "Community Engagement Coordinator" position at a local school system. The position involved writing grants, keeping up with the school system's website and social media pages, etc.

This morning, I received an email from the school system's Marketing Director, and she wants to speak with me via a phone call about the position. I will be conducting my phone call with her tomorrow afternoon.

Now, even though I put the word "interview" in the thread title, she did not specifically say that this would be an interview; all she said in the email was that she would love to schedule some time to talk with me on the phone about the position.

When I have applied for school-related jobs in the past, I have done face-to-face interviews as opposed to phone interviews, so something like this is new to me, as far as jobs in the education field goes. If it helps, this is the first time that this particular school system has reached out to me.

Should I perceive this as an "interview", even though it's over the phone, or do you think she just wants to find out more about me before deciding if I should have a face-to-face interview?

I'm just not sure if this is going to be a real interview or not.

Thank you all in advance for your advice, and Happy New Year!

- Dare2Teach

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 27, 2018

I would consider this an interview and come prepared with interview questions and answers.
    Good luck!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2018

This.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Dec 27, 2018

I have done several phone interviews that have led to jobs, a key thing is to be in a quiet spot where you won't be interrupted. No radio or TV playing in the background. Children and pets cared for so you don't have to interrupt to deal with surprises. Also make sure your phone is charged.

Good luck.

Dare2Teach and futuremathsprof like this.
  6. flairpen

flairpen Rookie

Dec 27, 2018

Both. It’s a mini-interview to decide if there will be an actual interview. I had this happen once when I was living in a different province. The principal and I spoke on the phone and then I was offered a Skype interview with the principal and superintendent.

Dare2Teach and futuremathsprof like this.
  7. Dare2Teach

Dare2Teach Rookie

Dec 28, 2018

Hi, everyone. This is Dare2Teach.

Thank you all for your thoughts, so far. I really appreciate it.

I had my phone interview, this afternoon, and you were right, flair, it was a mini-interview, because at the end of the interview, the interviewer told me that I should be contacted sometime next week if she wants me to come in for a face-to-face interview.

I think the interview went well. I answered her questions clearly and concisely, and explained to her about any experiences that I had that would be relevant to the position.

Hopefully, I impressed her enough to where I can get a call-back for a second interview. We will just have to wait and see, though.

- Dare2Teach

wldywall likes this.
  8. PinAlan

PinAlan New Member

Jan 21, 2019

That's good to hear, Dare2Teach. :) Did you get a call-back by now?

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 23, 2019

Good luck!