Phone Interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teaching1, Dec 7, 2012.

1. teaching1

teaching1 New Member

Dec 7, 2012

Hello

I'm new to the forum in the sense that I have never signed up for an account or posted. I have been reading the forums for quite awhile now. I have been job searching since I graduated May of this year. I graduated with a degree in Elementary Education.

I received a phone call earlier today around 12 and they left a voicemail since I was I had no cell phone signal. I called them back about twenty minutes later. It happened to be the principal of a school I applied for about 2 days ago. She asked me if I had time to interview and I said I was on the way to eat and she said bye. I called back and told her that I didn't mean that I wouldn't do the interview now because she didn't seem like she was going to reschedule. She also tole me it would be about 30 to 45 minutes long. It lasted about 6 minutes with about 5 questions. I feel like I didn't do so well. I've never heard of a "surprise" interview. I'm sure what to think about this.

Sorry for the long post!:sorry:

3. PeteSmithHQ

PeteSmithHQ New Member

Dec 19, 2012

Obviously the call caught you by surprise and you were not prepared for it. Consider it a useful experience and make a note of where you scored well and where you did poorly. Telephone interviews are common and are usually conducted to shortlist the potential candidates. Such interviews should be conducted when there are no background distractions such as music, TV, traffic and other sources of noise; also the signal reception should be strong so that you can hear and be heard distinctly. Secondly your tone should be confident and pleasant as the interviewer tries to judge you from the tone of your voice. It is also not necessary to give the interview there and then if conditions are not favorable (background distraction, weak signals etc) as this may spoil your chances. I really hope things go well for you.

4. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Dec 20, 2012

So you told her you were on your way to eat and she just said bye and hung up? That's kind of odd...

For future reference, though, I probably would've not mentioned the part about eating and just taken the call like you were free to talk. She might've thought that you felt the interview wasn't important enough, and that's why it was so short??

I agree that "surprise" interviews are no fun, but if a principal is under a time deadline (and at this time of year, also has all of the other school stuff to deal with), they might not have time to schedule with everyone.

Hopefully you'll get a call back, but if not, use this experience to help you with future interviews. Good luck in your search!