Phone interview tomorrow

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msmac21, Jun 11, 2014.

1. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 11, 2014

I have an interview tomorrow that is over the phone. I've never done a phone interview and I'm wondering what to expect?

I'm sure it won't be much different than a regular interview and it's nice not having to get my outfit and portfolio all perfect too! But I find it strange that they won't be seeing me in person. It seems like to me that seeing someone in person helps to get a feel for if they'd be a good fit or not?

Has anyone ever had any experience with this?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2014

I find that I am way more relaxed with phone interviews. Some people will recommend that you dress as you would for a regular interview so that you really do well. I find that I do way better in my PJs!!! I'm just more relaxed, which lets 'me' shine through.

It is an interview, but you can sort of pretend that you are talking with a friend. Be animated. I'm pretty sure that I've made it to a second round for all of my phone interviews. The only one I did not make it to a second round for had no second round. It was one and done, and not being there hurt me. (I couldn't miss work and I was in another state.)

Good luck!!

4. miles2go4u

miles2go4u Rookie

Jun 11, 2014

Yes I have. It was a screening interview before they brought in people for an interview at the school. Treat it as though it's the real deal. Don't be afraid to take notes and be prepared with your own questions!

5. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2014

I have done several phone interviews. I was offered a job from one but I had to turn it down when I couldn't find a place to live in the town. One or two I did from my truck because I was either on a trip to another interview or job fairs. But I also did a couple from my back porch. All of them I just put all my interview stuff in front of me so I could reference stuff just like I did in interviews that were face to face. Several of my interviews they had an electronic version of my portfolio so they could ask me questions about it. The interview that got me my job now was at a Denny's. Lol

6. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

Jun 12, 2014

Iv done a few. It is hard because you can not physically see people's reactions to your answers, but it is very similar to a regular interview. Good luck. Let us know how it went!

7. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Jun 12, 2014

Thanks Geologygirl!

It went well. It was definitely weird and I didn't really care for it. I like seeing their facial expressions after my answers. All I could get was "Thank you" after each answer but it would've been nice to see how they react! Overall I felt confident in my answers for the most part. Hopefully I get a call back!