Phone interview tomorrow.... please review my Q&A

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by shoebottom, Jul 26, 2011.

1. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 26, 2011

First off let me thank everyone that helped me with my cover letter. She told me that was the reason she picked mine... because of the "me" that I put in the CL about working with ELL students, she then told me that 499 people applied for this position.

I talked to the principal Sunday afternoon for 30 minutes. She was really into everything that I saying. I answered every question in the best way I could, at the end she asked me if I officially had my own classroom before and she proceeded to tell me that she really wanted someone with experience. Tomorrow the phone interview will be with her and the AP. She gave me list of things that she wanted me to brush up on because we will be talking about them on Wednesday. The school is 45% ELL students and 40% African American. Most all the students are not on grade level reading and she wants to find ways to help close the gap with Hispanic, black, and white students. She told me that I am really going to have to show her that I can handle classroom management because the first year is the worst year for a 1st year teacher. I am not sure about the grade level because there is an opening in K, 2 in 1st grade, 1 in 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade. So it could be for any. I told her I preferred older students and she requestioned me with but you would me willing to work with lower grades also, right?

I need help with these 2 things
    They are implementing Common Core Standards in k-2 this year and I know nothing about it. I have read some on it and I am still very confused.

What is difference between a good and great teacher? I know this will come up bc she told me to know some differences.

These are some of the questions that I have come up with and the answers to them.

What is your strength and weakness?Weakness-
    Time management; I really believe in “teachable moments” and they occur very often in my classroom. But sometimes they cause me to get side tracked from my lesson plan for the day. I have improved in this area by creating sticky notes for myself and using that information to alter my lesson for the next day, so I am fully prepared to explain the material to my students. I have a small booklet of post its in my pocket at all times.

Strength
    1. Being patient in dealing with the students.
    2. Flexible with my lessons
    3. Being able to create thematic units that reaches across the curriculum.
    3. Willingness to always learn and try new things.

Why should we pick you with no experience when I was initially wanting someone with experience? Need a little help with this one 1. Although I lack the experience you initially wanted, I will make for that with hard work and dedication.
    2. I have a knack for creating innovative lessons, which I am always willing to share. OR my students interest help me in creating innovative lessons.
    3. My students always come first. I always ensure that my students grasp the knowledge needed for the material by teaching as necessary and connecting the material to real life.
    4. I am always willing to help a student, parent or colleague whenever asked.
    5. I value self reflection in order to improve in my teaching.

How do you connect with parents?
    1.Email
    2.Phone
    3.My class website
    4.Parent conferences scheduled as needed by myself or the parent/guardian.
    5.Sending notes home by the student
    6.Making myself available to the parents outside of school. Many times the parents are working during the day or they might be working two jobs.

How do I teach?I teach many lessons using the Interdisciplinary style of teaching. I will have my students to find words or phrases that we are learning about in Language Arts or reading groups in their math or science books. Or when we are having carpet time, the students raise their hand when they hear a spelling word and we keep a running chart of the words and at the end of the week as a class we make a paragraph using all of the words. I like to use hands on projects-either in groups or independently, scaffolding, and cooperative learning groups. I use small groups for students that need extra help. Many times I use group project learning that involves a hands on project. With scaffolding I use the computer, Smartboard or overhead to show examples of the topic. I also pull in books from the library.

If I looked into your classroom, how would I know that learning was taking place?
    Say you looked into my classroom during guided reading groups; you would see students working independently in different centers as well as one group with me at the reading table. There would be a word wall, classroom library, writing center, listening center, drama center and a computer center. At the writing center, there would be a writing prompt on the wall. The students would answer the question and then draw me a picture to describe what they wrote about. In the listening center, the students will listen to a book on tape, then the student would write me one sentence describing their favorite part about the book, then they would illustrate a picture of their favorite part. For the drama center, the students might be putting together at play or skit where they use puppets. The group would present to the class at the end of centers during snack time. For computer center the students would use the Spelling City website to learn about that weeks spelling words and then they would choose a book on Starfall.

I will be posting more Q&A's as I type them up.

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 26, 2011

For the experience question, # 2-5 have nothing to do with experience. You need to focus your answer on why not having experience is an advantage. Maybe: I may not have formal experience, but in my student teaching ____________ (give an example of something you excelled in). I am willing to learn, not afraid to ask questions, and I am confident I will be successful if given the chance.

As far as common core, I highly suggest googling Common Core Curriculum Maps and checking out the sections for k-2. With the movement to these standards, districts are looking for people who are familiar with them. I would have the basics down before the interview.

4. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Thank you... I will change it up and repost

5. xiangnong

xiangnong Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Good luck!

6. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Thank you... after talking with the P Sunday I really think this school would be a great for me and me for it. It is an IB school also, which has me excited.

7. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 26, 2011

Does anyone have specific examples between a good and great teacher?

Great teacher
    1.Uses self reflection to change instruction.
    2.Flexible in ways they teach based on student’s interest and learning style.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2011

I would definitely talk about the workshop approach to teaching. That is where all states are concentrating efforts. I would study up on Lucy Calkins and inquiry based learning. These will be excellent tools to have under your belt when you are talking about the new state testing.

9. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 27, 2011

A good teacher works hard to meet the needs of her students but really does not know where to begin. A great teacher goes out and finds the experts to help her meet the challenges within her classroom. A good teacher asks questions when she does not know a strategy or procedure that is being used. A great teacher asks for guidance, modeling, and stays after school with a mentor teacher to help her learn the things that she needs to know to ensure the success of her students. Good teachers are on time and come to all required PTA or after school meetings. Great teachers are at every school function, making an effort to get involved with kids, and help parent education programs or small group tutoring sessions when needed.

10. shoebottom

shoebottom Companion

Jul 27, 2011

Amazing... Thank you. I needed to see a clear picture like this :)