phone interview in an hour!!! *UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ShadesofGray, Aug 24, 2009.

1. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I just got a phone call from the childcare center I applied to. I have a phone interview set up for 10am (less than an hour from now). I'm so nervous!

It's for a preschool position. What kinds of questions will they ask? What should I expect? :help:

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 24, 2009

I'm sorry that I don't have any advice or sample questions for you but I wanted to wish you GOOD LUCK!!!

4. Teacher2Be123

Teacher2Be123 Companion

Aug 24, 2009

Developmentally appropriate or age appropriate activities..that's all I have all of my other words are slipping my mind. I would google early childhood education or something similar and see what comes up. NAEYC will probably be a good source as well.

5. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 24, 2009

Well, it's over lol. She asked a ton of questions, I think I answered them ok. She wrote down the answers to all of the questions and is sending my phone interview to another director, who will be in my area this week, probably Wednesday. The next step (I guess based on if she likes my answers) is that I will have an in person interview. This process is so complicated!

Luckily it'll probably be Wednesday, so I can do it and get it over with! :)

6. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 24, 2009

Congrats on the first step and best wishes for the rest!

:)

7. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

I hope you move on to the next step!

8. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 24, 2009

I got the call, I have an in-person interview Wednesday at 2:15!

I'm so nervous, hopefully all will go well. Now I'll be stressing all today, tomorrow, and Wednesday afternoon lol. Please keep your fingers crossed for me!

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2009

Congratulations! Good luck!

10. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Aug 24, 2009

Congrats- half the battle is just getting to the interview!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2009

Congrats on making it to the next round! Good luck!

12. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 24, 2009

Good luck! :)

13. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 25, 2009

Thanks everyone! I started a new post, I'll update tomorrow after the interview! :)

14. blitz1030

blitz1030 Rookie

Aug 25, 2009

Good luck tomorrow!

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

Good luck today!!

16. blitz1030

blitz1030 Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

How did it go?

17. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

So how did it go???

18. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 26, 2009

Hey everyone. So here's what happened.

My interview was scheduled for 2:15, so I planned to get there for 2ish. I got there and met the 2 people I would be interviewing with, the woman I spoke with on the phone from the corporate offices, and the guy who was one of the franchisees from the location they are building that I applied for. There was one person ahead of me, so they took her in and gave me the application to fill in while I waited. The application was 7 PAGES LONG. They asked some of the most unbelievable questions. For example:

Describe your experience with:
    ...Staff Meetings (Saturdays and evenings) Are you kidding me, I'm a TEACHER
    ...letting a child back into the classroom from the playground unattended
    ...telling a child who is misbehaving "if you cant behave I will send you back to the baby room"

I finish the application and go into the classroom where they are waiting for me. The woman I spoke with on the phone asks me all these different questions. Mentions that I have a lot of experience working with kids. Now meanwhile, I'm nervous, I always am at interviews. While she is jotting down notes on my application, I'm looking around this huge classroom at all the different decorations. I loved the look of this place, it looked so cute and child friendly.

At one point during the interview the woman asked the guy if he had any questions, and he says to me "I apologize if this sounds blunt but... has anyone ever told you you're distractible?"

I was FLOORED. I have never been asked anything like that before or told anything like that before in my life. I answer no, right away. Afterwards I apologized if it seemed like I was being rude, but I said that I was very excited to see the building and the classrooms and that I had driven to the new location but noticed that it wasnt ready yet.

Sooo after more questions from the woman, the 2nd and only thing that the guy said was that the other owner was coming by there within the next 2 weeks, and they would be asking the candidates to come back again so he can meet them.

:dizzy:

All in all, I think I'm giving up on this position. I was told over the phone that lead teachers make 10-13 an hour, and with my degrees I'd be on the higher end of that. Today I was told because the center is small, they usually start off lower and then when enrollment increases then pay can increase. Right now as a sub, I'm working a lot closer to home, and would be making more per day subbing even if I got the 13/hour, and for less hours. I didn't get a good feeling from the guy, and I think I just have to go with my gut and say thanks but no thanks. I honestly almost wish I hadn't applied to begin with... :unsure:

Thanks for the good luck wishes though. I'll just have to hold out for a real teaching position where they value my certifications and degrees. Hopefully I'm making the right decision lol.

19. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

I'm sorry the interview didn't go as you planned but at least you went and checked it out. Sometimes you just don't know what you're going to get with centers and if you have a bad feeling in the interview it's probably best not to pursue it. Good luck!

20. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 26, 2009

Thanks. I was so excited for the opportunity to teach, and it seemed like such a great center. I liked the woman, but the guy didn't seem to like me, and all in all I know I'm overqualified for this job (in the posting they said teaching degrees and candidates going to school for education preferred, I already have my masters and plenty of certifications). I don't like the idea of having such late hours, especially since it's a considerable distance away. Also, I hate to sound like I'm only in it for the money, because I'm really not, but I can't afford to take a $10/hour position with my masters, when I have student loans and other bills to pay. Especially when the first 90 days are on the application as a "trial period" which means they could decide to get rid of me and then I'd really be screwed. After all of this, and more, I think I'm better off just sucking it up and subbing lol.

21. MrsA

MrsA Rookie

Aug 26, 2009

How rude of him!

I think you are right to go with your gut. Imagine what working with someone like would be like. You'd probably get tactless comments all time time. :dizzy:

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 26, 2009

I'm sorry that your interview went like that. But it's better to figure out that this isn't the place for now rather than later.

23. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 26, 2009

I agree the guy was rude. I mean even if he thought that you were distractable, he should have written a note to himself to discuss it with the other interviewer and kept that question to himself.

You gotta go with your gut on this one and not second guess yourself! Good luck!! :)

24. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 26, 2009

What a JERK! :eek:

25. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 26, 2009

I'm so glad that it's not just me that felt his question/comment was rude!

I was shocked, it was a very awkward question for me. Especially when I was completely paying attention and trying my best to answer all of the woman's questions to my best abilities. He barely spoke to me, the first thing he said to me (aside from hi) was that question. I'd rather not work a 12 month job for someone like him!

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2009

No. Has anyone ever told you you're rude?

27. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 26, 2009

I went on an interview kinda like that. It was for a charter. I liked the woman, but the man was rude. He was asking me questions like what would you do if... and then when I answered, "I would....", he would say, "Well, I didn't even offer you the job yet!" I just got a bad feeling about it and he talked about working nights and weekends too. Super low pay as well. I was over qualified and he said "well, I dont want you to work here because you have no other choices." It was really bad. I don't blame you for not wanting that job. Good luck in the future. Something better is bound to happen for you! :love:

28. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 27, 2009

Wow, that's terrible. It's amazing, you would think these schools would want someone that's very qualified so they can feel like their students will really be taken care of! I knew I would do a great job in that age group, but it's just not worth the stress.

My issue now is, do I wait for them to call me or do I call and say no thanks? I was planning on waiting, and if I get a phone call I'd say that I heard about a public school position that I'm going to pursue, but thank them for the opportunity to interview with them. Something along those lines. Does that seem rude? (Not that I should be concerned with that after HIS rudeness lol)

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2009

You take a deep breath and wait.

Is this one idiot really worth giving up a job for? How much direct influence will he have on your day-to-day workings in the classroom?
    For all you know, this was his one and only visit to the campus this year. Or he sits in his office all day long, doing paperwork or reading the paper. Don't make any rash decisions yet.

30. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 27, 2009

It's not just him, it's also that the center is a distance away from my house, and I can't afford to work there for only $10 an hour, which is what they want to pay me even though I'm more qualified than what they are even looking for. The woman even asked me why I'm looking into a child care center if I have so many teaching certifications. With the pay, the distance which would mean I'd have to put more money into gas every day for 12 months, and the fact that the hours are much longer and I can't commit to work after 5 (the center is open till 6:30, and I've asked twice what the preschool hours are and they won't tell me which isn't a good sign), I'm honestly better off subbing.

31. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 27, 2009

I keep telling myself that someone that lives closer that can afford to work long hours for that pay will be very happy to have that position. :)

32. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

Aug 27, 2009

Love it! I totally wish I were gutsy enough to say that type of stuff to people when they are being rude! :)

33. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 28, 2009

I received a phone call today from the guy from the interview, thanking me for coming in and asking me for REFERENCES. I listed all four references that they asked for (they left space for 4 and required at least 3) on the 7 page application! Are they kidding me?

I thanked him and said that unfortunately due to financial obligations that came up I will be unable to take the position for that salary.

Just unbelievable...

34. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2009

Why on earth would he called for references when you had more than what they even required? It is unbelievable.

35. ShadesofGray

ShadesofGray Companion

Aug 5, 2010

WOW! This job interview that I posted about last year was for a new childcare center that was supposed to open around October-November of 2009. It is now August 2010, almost a full year after I had this interview, and according to their website they're STILL not open. Thank goodness I didn't continue that interview process! :eek:hmy:

36. jennyfd

jennyfd Rookie

Nov 25, 2011

Can you say what they asked in phone interview?

37. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 25, 2011

From what Ive seen on these boards, that is average for a child care position--even for lead teachers. I would post a separate thread and ask that question, keeping in mind regional cost of living differences.