Phone Interview Help...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by eireannashley, May 25, 2011.

1. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 25, 2011

So I finally have my first interview of the season! It is a school near Boulder, Co and although I would have to move I am super excited about that. The school is a fantastic school and I am really excited about the phone interview on Friday. I have never had one and I looked through the forum to get some tips. There were a few but I was wondering if anyone has anymore tips. This is my dream job (third grade) in an amazing school and even better district. I really want to ace this and am really scared! Any advice?

3. VT-HI-PATeacher

VT-HI-PATeacher Rookie

May 25, 2011

Having gone through a lot of phone interviews, always stick a wired phone, no cells phones unless it's the last option.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

I had only one phone interview in the past. They asked me about 10 basic questions such as classroom management, how well do I work with my team members, some lesson planning questions, how to work with students who are super low or at-risk or have behavior issues. So, if I were you, I would brush up on my answers to those types of questions. I would have a notepad and pen in front of me, just in case. I would also have my resume. Oh, dress nice and sit at a table. Hmm, that's all I can think of for now. Good luck!

ETA: research the school and it's mission statement, third grade standards

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 25, 2011

I've had a phone interview, but it was for a lead counselor at a day camp, not for a teaching job. (I did get the job, by the way.:)) I was attending college 450 miles away from my family at the time, hence the need for the phone interview. I was interviewed by a panel of about 5 people. It's an awkward experience because you can't see their faces, so it's hard to read whether or not they like what you're saying without the facial cues! Also, I couldn't keep track of who was talking to me, since there were 5 women, even though they introduced themselves at the beginning. There were also a lot of pauses as they were most likely writing things down, but I had no way of knowing that's what they were doing!

That said - as awkward as I found the phone interview, later my supervisor told me that they wanted to hire me on the spot because my interview was so great - and there I was feeling totally unsure about it! So, just be confident. :) Make sure you sound positive, upbeat, and ready for this job. Don't read into anything - there may be pauses, and you may not be able to tell whether or not they're responding well to you. Just be as confident as you can be and remember if you're meant to get this job, you will, and if you're not, something better for you will come along! :) Good luck in your interview!! :)

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 25, 2011

Wow yellowdaisies, you took the words right out of my mouth! I did a phone interview for this job (12,000 miles away, haha) and it was the most nervous I'd been for any interview because of the "awkward pauses." I later figured out it must have been that they were writing things down, but at that time I kept wondering why there was always silence after I gave an answer and then panicking on if I should say more or something. It was also harder because I couldn't read any facial expressions to see how they were reacting to me. Similar to yellowdaisies, my boss just told me a few weeks ago that she knew the second she talked to me on the phone that I was the one she wanted to hire- so it obviously went well even though I was so nervous and thought otherwise.

Dress up as if you were going to an inperson interview. It will help you feel more confident. Only keep the materials that you would take to an in person interview in front of you (like a hiring portfolio). Don't be tempted to take all these notes and write answers down before the interview, as trying to look through them will only get you flustered and the interviewers will probably be able to tell that you are looking through/reading notes.

Also, this is pretty obvious but make sure you're alone/the house is quiet during your interview. You don't want to be distracted with other things or seem unprofessional if someone in the house comes up to talk to you while you're on the phone.

Btw, I relocated to CO (although not boulder) for this job and I've had a great experience!

7. eireannashley

eireannashley Rookie

May 25, 2011

Thank you so much everyone! Those are great tips! I haven't thought about the whole pause thing and it probably would have freaked me out so that you for mentioning that!

8. AsherDasher

AsherDasher Companion

May 25, 2011

This isn't really any advice, just something that I did when I had a phone interview. I actually recorded the interview. I could only hear myself when I listened to it back, but I knew what I was asked so it didn't matter that I couldn't hear the questions. The reason for doing this was I thought that it would be one of the only opportunities to actually hear what I sounded like when in an interview (was I saying something I shouldn't, saying um too many times, etc). I know that people recommend to have practice interviews with someone that you know or in a mirror for example, but I feel like those are very awkward not a true interview experience.