Philosophy of Education

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by krwaggieteach, Apr 17, 2005.

1. krwaggieteach

krwaggieteach Companion

Apr 17, 2005

Can anyone give me any ideas on how to write a philosophy of education? :eek: I have one that I wrote a few years ago, but it sounds so "stuffy and rehersed." When I was in school, we were told to do it, but not given any kind of information on how to do it. What kind of info is expected in this type of writing?
    Thanks for any help you can give me!

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 17, 2005

A personal Philosophy of Education is a theory of how one’s classroom should function. A teacher must clearly understand his feelings and beliefs on a number of topics before entering the classroom. With this said, however, one’s philosophy of education will remain in a constant state of flux, changing due to a number of circumstances, experiences, and situations.

When I did a sample Philosophy of Education for my Introduction to Teaching course as an undergraduate, my Philosophy of Education examined teacher and student roles in the classroom, teaching strategies that should be utilized, as well as the atmosphere and environment of the classroom.

Hopefully, this will be a good start to writing yours! ;)

4. marydoll

marydoll Rookie

Apr 17, 2005

Hi I was wondering how you got on with your essay on philosophy, I know it was back in Nov 04, but would love to hear from you and about your essay, I am about to embark on one/.

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 17, 2005

I would try reading some examples of some and then sort of modeling the format after those (obviously, your own ideas will comprise the philosophy). I'm one of those need to see a model people though, so this is what would work for me. A lot of teachers post philosophies on their websites--that might help.

Good luck!

6. marydoll

marydoll Rookie

Apr 17, 2005

values in education

I have to philosophise the values with areas of teaching, and its a trick subject that I am not familair with, the reading is so vast. I was looking for examples of essays that have been written with this topic in mind. any ideas

marydoll

7. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Apr 17, 2005

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 18, 2005

Keep it short and sweet, not over one page. Mine's actually one paragraph! It's part of what got me hired.

9. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

May 10, 2005

Does the philosophy of education have to identify with a specific theorist or group of theorists?

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 10, 2005

Not really. It needs to be a general statement of what you believe. I've seen one teacher who's was one sentence: "I believe that education should put children first."
    Mine:
    Education is the most important component of a persons' life. It defines who a person becomes in their later years. A persons' personal experience with education will interpret how they will view and support it later in life. The most important thing in the area of education is that children are first, and their needs must be met. Educated people will benefit the community as a whole. Each person should work together to achieve this goal, and education is the culmination of that goal. We must always remember that in education that children are first.