Philosophy of Education

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ktmiller222, Jun 9, 2015.

1. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Jun 9, 2015

I'm going to apply for a job in a district that asks to include my philosophy of education in the packet. I briefly wrote one for my portfolio. I have never been asked about what my philosophy is and no one in my past have ever asked to see it.

This might sound bad: Mine is about two short paragraphs and I don't think it's done well. Can anyone help me out? What is yours like? How long is it? I honestly don't want to make it lengthy.

I'm going to work on mine tonight so I can send it in the mail tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Jun 9, 2015

I generally talk about my beliefs in a child-centered classroom with hands on, motivating lessons and using a variety of assessment strategies. Your philosophy does not have to be long, mine is about one page. It should just sum up your beliefs of education and teaching.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 9, 2015

Mine is only about 4 paragraphs (about half a page). In it, I talk about the importance of creating a safe and welcoming classroom environment with clear boundaries and expectations, creating relationships with my students to that end, and my dedication to engaging students with experiences that they'll find memorable and enjoyable.

5. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 18, 2015

wow I didn't realize it should be that long. I thought it was supposed to be more like an elevator speech - where you can sum it up in about 15 seconds (the time you would have on an elevator):eek:

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 18, 2015

Interesting. I think that my philosophy of education could be summed up in one or two sentences. Anything beyond that would be examples of its implementation in the classroom.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2015

During my undergrad, we actually were required to develop our philosophy of education. I remember spending an entire semester revising it until it was approved. Then, we had to present it so show we could stand behind our words. It was pretty labor intensive work but it made interviewing much easier. I remember mine being about one
    page long.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2015

When I was on interviewing committees, I never asked about education philosophies. My thought was...aren't all educational philosophies basically the same?

ie: We want to provide our students the best possible education.

I didn't think I would learn anything new about the candidate by seeing how many buzz words they could fit in their statement.

So, I guess I'm not really any help to the OP.