Philosophy of Education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Camel13, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jan 8, 2014

Hello,

I perhaps should post this in the job seekers category, but it appears there is not a lot of activity there other than interview questions, so I hope general ed is okay. I am polishing my online portfolio and and resume while three "cold" days delay the start of my student teaching. I believe I need to revise my philosophy of education document. This was constructed in the first pre-methods class I took three years ago, is 6 pages long, and has a bibliography. My peers have similar- looking documents, so I am a bit lost on the length and depth that this document should truly encompass. Any tips out there?

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 8, 2014

When it comes to your portfolio, less is more. Administrators don't want to wade through pages and pages of stuff. The more portfolio documents that you can get on two pages or fewer, the better. I don't remember my philosophy of education paper (I'm pretty sure it was one of the first things I scrapped when I trimmed my portfolio down), but I'd say two pages can say all you need it to say.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 8, 2014

Wow, whole pages? I remember being asked if I could sum up my teaching philosophy in a single sentence. It turned into a question. "What is the point of learning something if you don't use it?" That sums up my constant requests of my students to continue applying learning and building upon it.

5. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 8, 2014

I feel that there is a difference between what a professor is looking for and what an administrator is looking for.

I could see a page long for a portfolio with that condensed down to a sentence or 2 for your resume.

Just be prepared to talk about your philosophy in an interview.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 8, 2014

I always thought philosophy of education should be less than a page, 2-3 paragraphs.

7. Camel13

Camel13 Companion

Jan 8, 2014

In our pre-methods course we were assigned these six pages or so using the questions of "why should I teach?" "what should I teach?", "How and what should I teach?" as guiding questions. In my recent technology methods course we were to include our resume, intro and philosophy of ed in our online portfolio for prospective employers to look at. I included the 6 page long version as did many of my colleagues. The instructor never commented on this, hence my bafflement for what to use in "the real world".