Philly district job fairs?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by chessimprov, Jun 20, 2010.

1. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Jun 20, 2010

Last year, the district had at least 6 or 7 job fairs on different Saturdays of the year and then one in July. This year, I heard there was a hiring freeze and see no job fairs scheduled for July :(. Any idea if I'm missing information that's somewhere on their website? Thank you.

3. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 20, 2010

No, as far as I know they are not doing any more fairs. With all the changes with the improvement schools (or whatever Ackerman is calling them, I can't recall) there's bound to be openings later in the summer. So assuming you're okay with working at one of the new charter schools with the longer hours you would probably have a good shot at an interview for one of them.

Also, I don't think Upper Darby posts their jobs on their website but they might have openings that aren't on PA Reap, not sure. Might be worth your while to mail their admin office a packet anyway.

Good luck. Do you have a job now and are just looking to change districts or have you been subbing?

4. MissAnt

MissAnt Comrade

Jun 20, 2010

There is currently a hiring freeze. There was one site selection job fair in May but since then, nothing. The hiring freeze, from what I've heard, should be over by August and hiring will probably occur into October.

You may want to check out the former SDP schools that are being turned into charter schools, a couple of my friends have been hired by the new charters.

5. chessimprov

chessimprov Rookie

Aug 1, 2010

Upper Darby puts postings on PA Reap (at least sometimes.) Once in awhile, they might have a news blurb on a position on their website. I had called them a few months ago, and while the HR rep was excited about my resume, she said there were no openings but that they'd definitely keep me in mind. :/

With Philly, I know the hiring freeze refers to Elementary rather than High school. Middle school was affected somewhat too. During the hiring freeze, I noticed that Bok had a secondary math position open for about 1.5 months at least, but apparently they found someone now. I heard a former colleague of mine got hired in Philly too.
    I think there is some low scale hiring going on, at least for high school.