Phenomenal Workshop

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mr. Windchill, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I just returned from a week-long workshop that I might consider the best week of my teaching career thus far (first year completed). The workshop was presented by Dr. Jean Anastasio and David Perry of APL Associates.

This workshop was nothing short of phenomenal and inspirational in my opinion--unsure of the value this carries though :)

The course discussed instructional strategies designed to structure and manage an efficient classroom, which through implementing the strategies decreased behavior problems and increased performance results are the two major outcomes.

Nebraska and the surrounding states are as far west as they travel to conduct workshops, so for those of you who are within the eastern half of the country and have the opportunity to attend their workshop I am almost certain you will learn a LOT if not enjoy yourselves.

*I have no direct/indirect invovlement with them other than I just attended their workshop here in the eastern panhandle of WV (they're based in NY) ... I have no benefits/advantages for advertising their product ... I just wanted to make others aware of them and their workshop because I feel it is and may be by far the most practical and senseworthy material I have received about teaching ... and they model everything for you as you teach!!!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jun 22, 2007

Sounds great. Did they recommend any books that will teach us these instructional strategies?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

5. Mr. Windchill

Mr. Windchill Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I will echo several times over the sentiments of the author regarding Dave and Jean and the impact of their workshop.

There were several teachers at my school who attended the year before and highly recommended it. One went on to say she believed it should be a requirement for all new teachers. This workshop most certainly lived up to its reputation and that same teacher was right ...

... the worst part of the workshop is how excited you get to go teach and use the methods learned, but now must wait until August to do so.