Phases of the moon behavior chart

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 26, 2008

I was outside reading Wong today when I got a hair-brained idea for my behavior chart. I want to use the stoplight-style of management, but I wanted to make it a bit more interesting. What about phases of the moon? It would be so easy, and would fit right in with my "Nighttime Garden" theme (I couldn't decide between the solar system and a garden theme - why not both? LOL)

I could find a large blackline of a full moon, then photocopy them on colored paper. A full, white moon (or maybe green?) would be Perfect behavior. I would have four 'phases' all together - full, waning, half, and waxing. What do y'all think of this idea?

I need help on names for the phases, though. The only one I can think of so far is "Shining Brightly" for my full moon. Any ideas for a title? I'm so bad at this stuff!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2008

That sounds like an interesting idea! Definitely original.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 26, 2008

My one hesitation is that fifth graders undoubtedly know of another meaning for moon...

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2008

My classes tend to act like idiots during a full moon!

And would no moon mean that they've been sent out of the classroom?

Do you have to do a behavior chart? I find that one good icy cold glare usually does it. Or move to the child and stand there like an immense mountain looming over the miscreant. A slight touch on the paper and then a few quick taps with my blood red fingernails...If all else fails, I suggest they go visit the teacher across the hall for a bit "due to the fact that I have no interest in being arrested for, well, let's not talk about it...just bring your book."

I do love the night garden idea. I'm seeing fireflies. Purple dusk. Fairies and elves. Glowing toadstools. Animal eyes peeking out.

6. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jun 28, 2008

What comes to my mind is that maybe you could incorporate stars, comets, meteors, etc. into the chart instead of just the moon phases.

7. JustT

JustT Comrade

Jun 28, 2008

For a second I thought you were going to study the corelation of your student's behaviour with the moon!:lol: ---- like the way they are sooooo antsy when the weather changes.

don't forget tide charts relate to moon phase.

8. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Jun 28, 2008

hmm...waning-as in your teacher's patience is waning

waxing...if you keep up this behavior you will be waxing on and off these desks with a rag and some elbow grease

:D

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 28, 2008

I like the idea, though I am not fond of the stoplight behavior systems personally.

If you are going to do that kind of system at least you have made it interesting. Why don't you just say, "waning, half, waxing," etc. I don't see a need to get gimmicky about it.

I also think the kids will think the "full moon" is pretty funny. They all know what "mooning" is, and it wouldn't surprise me if they find this humorous. So I would never say full moon, how about blue moon? Or just using the "shining brightly" idea. If these systems really work, they should all be shining brightly most of the time, right?

10. mmath1212

mmath1212 Rookie

Jun 28, 2008

Moon Idea

I teach fifth grade and since one our GLEs is the phases of the moon I think this is a great idea! I'm thinking about using it myself...

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2008

I think it sounds like a great idea:) I'll try to come up with something clever for you...my brain isn't working at the moment:)

I have a regular traffic light behavior chart in my room and it works well for 99% of my kids. A lot of my kids never left green this year:) There may be a couple that you need to work with besides just using the chart, but I think most kids figure out the system pretty quickly and straighten themselves out:)

12. Beezus

Beezus Cohort

Jun 29, 2008

LOL That's what I thought, too!!

13. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Jun 29, 2008

That was my initial thought, as well!!

14. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 29, 2008

Well, here's an "update" of sorts.

I'm definitely worried about the kids being silly about full moons, so I'm going to avoid calling my Best Behavior moon "full." Instead of calling it my Moon Chart, I might call it Lunar Chart, or something. I figure this might cut back on any snide full moon remarks.

I went to google, found a moon image I liked, then went to Michael's and got awesome paper that's slightly iridescent. They sell it by the sheet, so I got about 15 sheets for like $3 (I got extras incase I goof.) I bought silver, green, blue, and purple. Then I went to Staples and blew up the moon (slightly) using their copiers. The copies came out good, I was surprised. Each moon is about 6.''

Silver will be for shining brightly, followed by green, blue, then purple. Still have not picked names/consequences yet. I need to search these threads for ideas :) I plan to glue them to black posterboard and use a lettering stamp set I have to label each moon, using silver ink. I might add stars and planets, or something. I know it sounds silly, making a fuss over how a chart looks, but if I'm going to refer to something and look at it 180 days this year, I want it to be purdy LOL.

BTW, I loved the suggestions for fireflies and faries in my class! Cute!

15. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

Can you please take a picture when you have it all set up?

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 30, 2008

Of course! :)

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2008

The mention of "fairies" as well with this age students could also cause a great deal of silliness (although I agree that they go with your theme really well).

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jun 30, 2008

Me too! In fact that would be very interesting. Just about every teacher knows that their behavior is affected by barometric preasure and phases of the moon. It almost sounds like it would make a good research paper or dissertation topic for a masters program! :lol:

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2008

I always take forever to do a poster, too. I want it to look good if I'm going to look at it all year.

I just recently made a couple of papers about the desk fairy visiting their clean desk and leaving them something nice. The fairies I downloaded were beautiful. Don't know the site, though. But I found them using google image.