"Phases of the First Year Teacher" Comic Strip

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peachyness, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

I'm going through my webcomic that I started a while ago, cleaning up the website, and I found this old comic strip. Figured I'd share it seeing as how some schools are starting up soon. :D

Comic Strip

3. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

Love it! Loved clicking around the site and reading more, too! Do you mind if I link to your site? Are you going to be adding new comics?

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

Thanks! Of course you can link to it all you'd like. :)
    I do plan to get back into it. My goal for tonight was to do some "cleaning". Tomorrow I will begin on my new comic.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2011

Oh, the goal book. I still do that :eek:

Love it, Peachy!

6. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 28, 2011

awesome. :) very creative... i give you an A. :) hehe

7. MrsCK

MrsCK Companion

Jul 28, 2011

I love it! I'm pretty sure this will be me. Does it count that I'm aware of that?? :lol:

8. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

I love your site!!! Very funny.

9. CHI

CHI Rookie

Jul 28, 2011

LOL...I like it! I was just reading the one on hair accessories. I have lots of hair and I am always looking for something to put it up with. I have often thought that binder clips might work.....I do however use the pencil/pen method. My students always laugh when they see my hair is held up with a pencil. Sometimes I catch the girls trying to twist their hair up and hold it in place with a pencil. The bonus (as mentioned in your strip) I always have something to write with if I should happen to need it!

10. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

They are all hilarious! :) Thanks for sharing!

11. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

haha! That reminds me more of my student teaching than first year...but I did student teach for a whole year so maybe it was similar. Am I the only one that thinks student teaching was WAY harder than my first year of teaching? Everyone goes on and on about being a first year teacher, but I thought in comparison it was a breeze even though I did have a good student teaching experience. In student teaching, I had to type4-5 page very detailed lesson plans for every single subject/lesson, every day. On top of that, I had to write a 1 page reflection on each invidiual lesson, as well as an overall 1-2 page "journal entry" for how my entire day went. I also had a massive portfolio to complete, a 30 page thesis I had to research for, collect my own data for, and write/revise. I had several chapters a week to read for my night class, although thankfully the professor was pretty easy on us since she knew we were swamped. On top of that, even though I had a good relationship with my co-ops there is always that feeling that everything you do is being watched/judged. My university superivsor came in for weekly observations as well. There was also the added stress of knowing what kind of job market I was entering in and getting together all my things for resumes/applications, etc. and knowing how slim my chances of getting a full time job were. My first year teaching, I finally got to just teach! I definitely felt like I had a lot less work/stress and more confidence, especially since finally I was just teaching in my own room without someone evaulating my every move!

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

Waterfall, I felt the same way. While there was a lot of "hand-holding" during student teaching, there is so much of that extra work that we had to do (night classes, homework, lesson planning, getting graduation stuff taken care of, etc). I also had a pretty good first year. Now, my second year is a different story. :D

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

This is me EVERY year! :)

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2011

That's really cute...

15. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Jul 28, 2011

Ditto! Especially this year, since I'll be at a new school.:dizzy:

16. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2011

I haven't left Phase 1 yet... and this is year 8. Hahaha, just kidding. I really liked this comic. :)

17. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 29, 2011

So True. But I don't think phase 4 exists anymore because that is the time of year that extra prep for state testing happens.