Petty parent complaints

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Geauxtee, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

I wrote a thread a day ago about about my co-worker. http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=165164

Now, my co-worker's husband had a meeting with admin about me yesterday. He gave her a lot of petty complaints about me to the admin, and the admin took them seriously! :(

Complaints:
    1) My homework webpage does not match my partner teacher webpage. (Usually, it does but sometimes I have to move homework around if class time is shortened and I don't get to a lesson to the next day).
    2) He wrote me a note asking about if I could look for his child's glasses. I saw him at our school Mass later that morning and told him I saw the note and asked, "Where can I look for them?" He took offense. I guess he thought I was being flippant.
    3) Another parent asked to me to read something about her daughter in her folder. I said, "Sure, what folder?" And she took offense to take because I didn't know automatically that it was the personal folders. (He brought this up because they are friends).

Basically, the admin doesn't really want me to talk to parents because they complain about anything I say!

Should I confront this co-worker and her husband? I would basically try to kill them with kindness and maybe they would go to me first? I have a feeling they are miserable people who like to complain! (They complain about their kids' teachers yearly).

The admin does 2-3 walk-throughs of my room daily. I am very anxious because I feel like I am constantly being montior by the admin and these parents! :help:

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

Goodness! Do they say anything about what they see? In other words, are THEY concerned? Or just concerned because these parents are concerned in that they want to keep the peace?

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

You know, sometimes administrators walk through frequently to gather information to SUPPORT your case. I had a crazy parent complaint last year. The admin supported me but to prove the parent wrong he walked through a couple of times to catch me doing right and the student doing wrong.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

My admin typically knows who the 'crazy parents' are. Any chance this kd could be moved to your grade level colleague's room?

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

Sorry, OP. I would have taken some of your comments as flippant or that you had no common sense whatsoever. Neither would be qualities I would want in the teacher of my own children.

I know the issues you face go beyond what is mentioned in this post, and I would hate to be in your shoes because somethings you mentioned were out of line. This post doesn't support your cause though.

7. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

No, because the parents hate the other teacher since she is super strict.

Honestly, I was extremely polite and sincere when I said the above comments. Also, it's my first year at this school and I am already overwhelmed, so I didn't mean for anything to come off as lacking common sense. I really just was trying to be as agreeable and helpful as possible. Would you have handled it differently?

8. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

I had a few classroom management issues in the beginning. Mostly with kids being loud and talkative. But made the move from tables to rows, and started being strict with taking away recess and it's gotten better.
    I think the admin expects me to be perfect, but I am still getting use to the class's personality. I think they are just reporting back to the parents that everything in the classroom is going ok. I just never had the level of scrutiny before :(

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 22, 2012

You might have posted the answer to this question and I just didn't see it, but this co-worker has a child in your classroom? And instead of this co-worker coming to you to discuss issues she has, she sends her husband to the admin to talk about the issues they have? If I were admin, I would not give any credit to this husband and my first stop would be to the co-worker to tell her that if she has a problem with the way you run your room then she needs to discuss those issues with you first.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.

10. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

Thanks, small town gal. Yes, my co-worker has a child in my classroom. Apparently, this co-worker/teacher nit picks and complains every year and the admin feeds into it. Everything is so dramatic. Not only does the admin and my partner teacher know my business but the entire floor of grades 1-4 know my business because co-worker gossips to her two friends in another grade and it's spread all around.

11. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Sep 22, 2012

I only suggested flippant because that was your phrase. I have no idea how polite you were but I will believe it was your intent to be polite.

What would I have done differently? For the glasses I would have acknowledged that you received the note and you would be looking around for them. If there is a lost and found for which glasses are placed or a place in the office for which important items such as this are placed I would politely direct him to check there. Asking him where you should check in your own classroom or school is odd. He is a parent.

12. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

I see what you are saying. What I meant was, "Is there anywhere specifically he wanted me to look?" I guess I had diarrhea of the mouth and was already nervous so it didn't come across that way. Oh well.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 22, 2012

2-3 walkthroughs daily???

Does everyone else get this excessive number of visits each day? :dizzy:

14. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Sep 22, 2012

Um, the admin goes into everyone's room for the most part. But they are concentrating on mine because it's my first year there. I think it's excessive too. I can understand one visit every other day. It's really stressful.