Pets

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by ChristyF, May 30, 2007.

1. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2007

I was lazy tonight and made bacon sandwiches for supper. There isn't much people food that Lizzie will really beg for, but as soon as she smells the bacon cooking she always comes running. She sat at my feet and yowled so long and loud I was afraid the neighbors were going to complain. She never wants much, just about a 1/3 of a piece. She ate it, cleaned her face and paws, then got in my recliner, rolled onto her back, and went to sleep. :rolleyes: Must be nice! :)

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 30, 2007

We used to have a dog that acted like that over marshmallows. When I was a kid, our dog howled for ice cream if we opened the freezer. Pets are the best. I love their unique personalities so much. You have a bacon lover. How funny!

4. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

May 30, 2007

I like to eat fresh dill. I have a bearded dragon who happens to be named Dill as well. Whenever he sees me eating fresh dill at the table (which is right next to his tank) he will run back and forth across the tank for some. I then put a big sprig in there and he rushes over to eat it. Then I can eat my salad in peace.:D

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 30, 2007

Guineviere is strictly a cat food girl. She is so finicky:rolleyes:

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2007

I have my rats here for the summer and they are hilarious. Anytime I cook something with a strong flaver they are hanging from the top of their tank sniffing. Lizzie is loving having them here. She will lay in front of their tank forever. The rats don't have a clue about being scared. She was on top of their tank the other day and Shawna was hanging up there sniffing of her. Of course Lizzie has never seen a mouse to chase either so none of them know how to behave! :D

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2007

I always worry when our black cat drinks from my beta fish bowl! Our pomeranian loves getting an ice cube when the cats get fed. She thinks it is her treat.

Who wouldn't whine for bacon?

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 30, 2007

Oh that's funny! Lizzie would play with the water in the fish tank, but never tried to drink it. She loved the hole for the heater because she could get her paw down by the heater. My neighbor has a pom and she eats snow cones with her "mom". :D

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 30, 2007

They sure can keep us laughing!

10. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 31, 2007

My sister had a guinea pig at my parents' house, and my parents are watching my cats while I'm in graduate school (landly at the best apartment we found here is highly allergic). The guinea pig's cage mate died a few years ago, so he's been lonely. My mom will let the cats in to wach the pig and the pig goes crazy talking and chirping--he seems to think the cats are giant guinea pigs. My brute cat, Floyd, just lays on top of the guinea pig cage while my mom takes pictures to send people.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2007

Oh that's so sweet!!

12. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 31, 2007

Our Graycie likes Biscuits & crescents (only the top flaky layer)

One day we had KFC, she didn't go in the trash after the scraps, she hunted that red and white box that had the last biscuit!

she also likes bbq pringles and nacho doritos.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2007

Kirby will eat about anything. He really goes crazy over fresh vegetables though. If your cutting them he'll be right at your feet. He won't make a sound, but will put one paw on you. He'll keep "pawing" at you until you sit down.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2007

Forgot to mention that he'll do every trick he knows for a bite.

15. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

May 31, 2007

just after i brought floyd home, i discovered he is a not picky eater. i wrote a blog about all the insane things floyd will eat. here is a little excerpt...anything with a "YES" he happily devoured the tiny bit he was offered...and I know, I know, cats should not eat this, but Floyd has a shady history with regard to food so please no lectures, he is a very happy feline and he rarely gets people food.

here is a running list of items tested in our "will the new cat eat it?" game:
    1. boxed macaroni and cheese *YES*
    2. ramen chicken lo-mein noodles *YES*
    3. dinty-moore microwave turkey and gravy dinner with dressing *YES*
    4. mcdonald's #9 meal (chicken nuggets, french fries, ketchup) *YES* [french fries required a best out of three test because floyd dropped them and lost them and i could not tell if the dropping and losing was intentional. it wasn't. he just doesn't have thumbs.]
    5. coleslaw *YES*
    6. buffalo wing hot sauce cheddar cheese curds * NO*
    7. horseradish cheddar cheese curds *YES*
    8. burger king chicken fry *YES*
    9. two-bite chocolate chip scone *YES*

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2007

Lizzie likes salsa, but absolutely adores Rotel cheese dip. Some of the other accidental discoveries have been: cantaloupe, peaches (epsecially the juice), mahaw jelly, ground beef, ketchup, and caramel sauce. She doesn't like butter, but loves to lick toast (buttered before it's toasted). I've been feeding her a mix of hairball formula and weight control Purina One, and she's lost about 2 pounds. She looks better, she almost has a kitty waist again! She's just a really big cat, though. Oh, I forgot one of her favorites, straw. She mutilated my poor halloween scarecrow, she gnaws on the broom is she can get to it, and my straw purse will never be the same. I tyr and keep pet grass for her (she's 100% inside), but even with that, she wants the straw. Crazy cat! :)

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

May 31, 2007

Miss W, my best friend has a GORGEOUS black dachshund (Pickles). If you start eating in front of her she will beg. She is a loooooong dog but she will sit up on her butt forever waiting for food. If that doesn't work she starts the rolling over, the dancing, etc. On the other hand, her other dog, Duke, a min-pin/terrier (who is a lot smaller) just sits on my neck and shoulder and whines. My friend says it's because I have "Sucker" tattooed on my forehead. :D I think it has more to do with the bowl of ice cream I dropped once. Duke made short work of that. I think he's waiting for a repeat.

18. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 31, 2007

When we're sitting down eating, Kirby won't make a peep until he sees that you're down to the last few bites. Then he'll bark once or twice at my dad.

19. ABall

ABall Fanatic

May 31, 2007

With my cat, I'm surprized at some of the things she won't even touch.
    Hot dog
    cheese although the kids said she likes velveta
    french fries (even though she loves the smell)

20. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 31, 2007

We have two cats: a LARGE 3 year old black and white (tuxedo) cat named Sadie Lou -- who will only eat an occasional potato chip. Other than that, she's strictly dry cat food. Then we have Mae Ling,a 16 year old Siamese who is VERY finicky. She gets a bowl of dry food each day (to which my husband has to add a 3-kibble treat each evening). In addition, though, she likes chicken breasts, spaghetti with meat sauce and parmesan cheese (she eats the noodles), ice cream and cheesecake. Our 2 year old border collie, Maggie will eat anything that won't eat her first -- almost! The other night, she ran over to our patio door (a slider) and started growing with her nose to the door. We told her to hush, but she kept on. My hubby went over and opened the door and turned the porch light on. Sitting there in all his ferocity was a frog about the size of a 1/2 cup measuring cup! She stuck her nose to his back and checked him out, then wandered back into the house, secure in the notion that she had saved us!

21. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

May 31, 2007

Mmmmmm bacon... :)

My dog doesn't whine for anything, but we give her food randomly and she loves every last bit of it!

22. mincc

mincc Companion

May 31, 2007

My dog would eat any food possible, so we need to be careful because she has a sensitive stomach and skin allergies. She gets vitamin meal and yogurt mixed with breakfast and dinner. She cannot have chicken, beef, lamb, wheat, many things. She LOVES the bottoms of ice cream cones, bananas, pizza crust (every once in a while we allow a piece) and carrots. Actually she loves all food.
    She is deaf and her nose is especially keen. We have a big backyard and the birds tend to drop bread-she goes right for it. She is NOT destructive in any way, though and she will never steal food, always waits, begs, but waits. :angel:

23. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jun 2, 2007

Holly is a thin mint girl scout cookie kinda cat:p ! If I am eating one, she will appear from anywhere in the apartment that she happens to be sleeping in. It's like she has radar...lol.

Our weekend treat is when I get up on Saturday and Sunday mornings for breakfast. I always have a bowl of cinnamon chex. She finishes that milk after I am done. She won't drink plain milk if I give it to her so I think she likes the cinnamon flavor from the cereal.

Wow... it's almost her 13th birthday too...lol:angel: !!!

24. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 2, 2007

We have four cats, but only one has a decided preference. Bert loves to steal fresh green beans when I am washing and preparing them. He'll keep trying to jump up on the counter when he smells them and won't stop until he has a bean of his own. He'll take it and play with it, then come back for another one. Bert's brother, Ernie, will play with the green bean but he doesn't beg for one like Bert does.

Bert is the same cat who drug my beautiful ivy around by the root ball, all over the house. I used to have about twenty houseplants. I now have none. They have all been destroyed by the Bertinator or I've had to move them outside to save them.

Bert also chirps when he sees a bug. I've never heard anything like it. Ernie doesn't make any noise when he is looking at a bug.

25. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 2, 2007

I forgot to mention my favorite cow! Fawn (You should never name a cow, but we couldn't help it) is the only one in the herd who will come up when we call her. She'll let me scratch above her nose, but only for a little bit. She'd rather I give her some cubes instead of scratch her, but it is so cute to see a big cow come running when you call her name.

26. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 3, 2007

I had a pet cow when I was a kid (Papaw had to give her and her mom to me because I named them - Samantha and Tabitha). Tab was the best cow ever, she lived 23 years and loved popcorn and watermelons. We tried riding her, but she would just turn her head and look at us like we were crazy. She literally thought she was a lap dog most of the time (and she was a huge cow!)

27. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Jun 3, 2007

The cat I used to have chirped as well, or something of the like! When she saw bugs out of her reach or a glint of light on the ceiling. She would open her mouth a bit and this weird clicking noise would come from her...it was creepy but kind of funny.

She did it a couple times when I was home alone with her late at night (with no bug of glint of light in sight) and from then I was freaked out about our apt. being haunted!!:eek:

28. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

My grandma watches my cats when I am out of town--she says my tiny cat "chirps" so everyone now refers to her voice as a chirp. The vet says she never lost her kitten voice. She chirps to get someone's attention--usually if she wants a door opened or just wants you to look at her.

29. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jun 3, 2007

I have 2 cats, Sassy and Sammy. Well, Sammy will just sit and stare at me the whole time I am eating ice cream or a bowl of cereal. Also, anytime I use the can opener, both cats come running on the off chance it might be canned food for them, (they are usually on a dry food diet). Also, I have no house plants because of their destructive tendencies, and I have caught both cats trying to eat my fake flowers now! :p

30. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 4, 2007

I got out of bed to come get a drink of water. Bert was chasing a scorpion. He flung it somewhere while playing with it and he can't find it. I'm sitting on the computer chair with my feet up. I can't get back into bed knowing there is a scorpion crawling around.

edited: The scorpion is now under the chair! I've got to find something to get it. The cats will just lose it again.

31. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 4, 2007

I'm so glad my Bertie isn't the only one who does that.

32. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 4, 2007

Our sixteen year old Siamese, Mai Ling, chirps when she's looking out the window and sees squirrels or birds!

33. teacherkasey

teacherkasey Cohort

Jun 4, 2007

Holly does the same thing when she sees birds. I have to get to the store and get a bird feeder for my patio so Holly can see more birds. And my boyfriend has never heard her do this so he is curious:p .

34. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 4, 2007

Well???

I'm on the edge of my seat, wondering what ever became of the dreaded scorpion!! :p